Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 12:53 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times

Advertisements

do you want stop at 50 lb, 100 lb, 200lb, 400 lb, 800? your goal to set a record or to enjoy working out?

you don't really have to increase weight if you want a good work out

bulking up muscles by increasing weight, but getting into shape/getting stronger only requires enough muscles for body weight exercises

I'm at a weight I find comfortable for the past 2-3 months, and I may increase it or decrease it. I see no reason to change it for the sake of bulking up. I am still getting stronger even without increasing the weight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:41 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Knowing when to increase weight
Good question.

For me, as a standard on my non-Crossfit weight training days, I do the following:

* If I can do TWO sets where I do not fail on the 8th rep, I'll increase the weight.

Sometimes, if I am just looking to maintain what I have, I'll up the reps to 10 per set. This means, that I should find the very last (10th) rep of the set very difficult but not fail on it. If I feel that I could have done another (11th) rep, then its time for a slight weight increase.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:11 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
When you can perform 3 x 8 or 3 x 10 of an exercise at a particular weight, it's probably time to increase the weight. Ideally, you want 6 to 8 reps per set for most exercises. The goal should always be increasing strength. Bulking up isn't a concern for most women unless they train hours upon hours per day (or take "supplements").

Old 01-16-2017, 11:43 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,477 times
Try different types of exercises, too. If you always do the same kinds, you are only working the same muscles in the same ways. Even small changes in positioning will hit different parts of the same muscle, and make the muscle work in tandem with other muscle groups differently and in varying degrees. The simplest example I can think of is the difference between bicep curls and hammer curls. The difference between holding the dumbbells palms up (bicep curl) vs palms in (hammer curl) does not seem like much, but it matters.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:52 AM

574 posts, read 376,605 times
You said your goals were strength and endurance. sounds like you strength is fine. Instead of raising the weight, lower the weight and do sets of 15 or more reps. That would be more to endurance. If you really want to lift heavier, try a pyramid, start with four to six reps at 20, two more at 25, one or two more at 30 then a few back at 25, and a few back at 20 or even 15.
This will totally trash any muscle group you are working on. On something like squats or bench press, it requires a machine unless you have a few people standing by to constantly be changing the weights.

Doing the same routine, the same exercises with the same weight in time will not give you the gains you are looking for. You need to change it up. Change routines and exercises. Work each muscle from every possible angle.

And when you think you are in excellent physical condition, take a yoga class and you will be humbled.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:07 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
There's no real magic time to "know." Just add weight, even if it's only a small bit to see if you can do it. Keep doing that until the reps are too hard for you to do with good form. Then scale it back down and settle on that weight. Try this at least 1 time a week. Don't sweat it if you aren't ready to progress yet. Adding weight becomes more difficult after some time.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:21 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Just wanted to say emphatically thanks guys for all of the pets. Very useful info.

Stevie worked out with my trainer today and it was endurance, doingmany reps at a lower weight...all I can say is damn. Did pyramids too,including pyramid push ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness