Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:35 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
He was just using car-buying as an example of the kind of careful selection you should make, for anything that's important to your life. But from what I've seen, some people are better at picking cars, than they are at choosing partners.
I didn't realize that the way the car LOOKS is the most important part of the selection process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 05:36 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Bogus, bogus and bogus.
And I have seen on the ground evidence with my own eyes that refutes that, so believe what you want. Consumption of modern wheat certainly leads to visceral fat buildup for MANY PEOPLE. It might mean the difference between losing 3 pounds and 30 pounds.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:36 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,642 times
Quote:
I also eat a plant-based diet. But in addition, I eat some essential foods from animal sources. If you looked into it fully, you might find that the calcium from plant sources is poorly taken up by the body; as little as 5% of it. I get mine from dairy foods and the small bones in sardines. Your use of terms, such as "ignorance", "uninformed" and "myths" in your labeling of non-vegetarians, illustrates the elitist attitude I described.
Just to clarify...when you say "essential foods from animal sources" that implies that without them someone can't live without them ..thats a completely false statement..that's not me being "an elitist" that is just me calling you out for spreading wrong information...there's just no other way to put it....

And yes there are several myths about veganism because we have had it beaten unto our brains that we NEED meat for protein and we need 100's of grams each day....that's simply untrue...thank God people are finally waking up to that fact.....I posted the link to vegan bodybuilders that refutes that claim...heck ,the winner of the weightlifting contest at this years olympics was vegan!

I've been a vegan for 7+ years and my calcium levels are fine as I get a yearly physical..the only supplement I take is for B12 as that is not found in non-animal food sources.....all other nutrients and vitamins you can get from plant foods...

Old 01-25-2017, 05:39 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
Vegetarians are free to eat as they please, but they should not make remarks implying that those that eat some animal foods are ignorant or primitive. It's an arrogant and elitist attitude. Since being omnivores is and has been our life-style, since our ancestors progressed beyond being monkeys, you will always be a small minority.

Those who also exclude dairy products and eggs from their diets, will eventually have severe health problems, due to some small components essential to life, that are found only in animal foods. Really educated vegetarians can find supplements to offset this, but few of them do. Being "holier-than-thou" about vegetarianism, will not gain you any friends outside your small ranks. Despite success by a few athletes who eat only vegetable foods, imagine how much better they could be, if they ate a natural, omnivorous diet.

I eat far more vegetable foods than I do those from animal sources and get a lot of protein from them. But I would be diminished, without a certain amount of animal protein. If one led a sedentary life or did just moderate exercise, vegetable protein might be adequate. But for those who train hard as athletes, it wouldn't be enough, to achieve their best. One big problem for vegetarians, is that their usual sources of proteins, do not hold up well after processing and storage. A major research experiment showed that soybean meal or flour, even when kept in airtight and temperature-controlled containers, lost all their sulfur-containing amino-acids, after 6 months. What remained, was not useful for human protein nutrition. Turning soybeans into protein powder, accelerates the oxidation and degradation of their essential amino-acids. And I will only just mention, the estrogenic effects of the isoflavones they contain. Be sure to scroll down far enough on this link below, to find the sections about the negative potential they have.

I carefully exclude all soy products from my diet. These isoflavones can disrupt the sexual and reproductive function of both sexes. Do you want to have children, but have failed? Examine all components in your diet (almost all brands of water-pack tuna contain soybean broth). Pacific Crest brand albacore tuna has had the soybeans removed and replaced with pea and carrot broth, within the past year. I eat tuna again, thanks to this change. Maybe the improvements that Luckyd409 has been experiencing, is because some other unhealthy things have been taken out of the diet? Cold meats and most junk foods contain many harmful additives, preservatives and sodium.

https://authoritynutrition.com/is-so...r-you-or-good/

FREE866 and Luckyd609 didn't say anything ignorant, elitist, or holier than thou. That was all you.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:15 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
How did you do it? Pilates perhaps or surgery? I know that a healthier diet, while it can't hurt, really doesn't do a hell of a lot for actual weight loss in the middle of the body.
Where the hell did you hear that? Proper diet and cutting bread/carbs is like 75% of weight loss.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:13 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Water,water,water ... bacon and eggs in the morning with grapefruit juice and all the meat I could eat with some greens.
No beer,pop,candy,potatoes,bread etc...exercise and 3 walks a day.
Give it sometime like a month or so to get your metabolic system to start burning fat you will feel a lot better for it but its hard.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Where the hell did you hear that? Proper diet and cutting bread/carbs is like 75% of weight loss.
I disagree with that percentage. For long term weight management, including loss, it's 50% diet and 50% exercise. I am leaner, stronger, and all around better, composition wise, by working out in conjunction with a good diet (most of the time). I attribute 60-70% of my results to dedicated work in the gym, not to mention working out keeps me motivated to continue well after my weight loss. I lost weight eating a carb heavy diet too...it all came down to eating less than what I burn.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
An all organic plant base diet has worked for me...

Old 01-26-2017, 01:10 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
An all organic plant base diet has worked for me...
I know someone else that has worked for.
I want so much to try this but I am gluten free and
that seems to limit plant based too far to have enough left to
eat..

Thoughts ??

Old 01-26-2017, 04:53 AM

574 posts, read 376,948 times
I have done this more than once. Life events have pulled me out of the gym a few times and it is so easy to regain fat that we lost before. I was a certified trainer and really into body building. It took a lot of learning and reading and studying things, all with a grain of salt before I was really able to change my body at will.

You body is an old car. Your muscles are the engine. Fat is the fuel. If you have been eating less that desirable and living a more sedentary life, your car is needing replacement. It badly needs a tune up. The engine is barely able to function.

If you want to lose weight, you gotta increase your metabolism which means building muscle. The excuse that some people use that they don't want to become muscular is hogwash. Getting a muscular look takes a whole lot of work attention to details. And nobody gets that by accident. Cardio is not enough. Diet is not enough. You must improve your muscles so they can burn the fat and keep it off.
If you stop weight training and go back to bad eating habits like I did, the weight will come back.

Here is a beginning routine. It works. You have 5 muscle groups. Arms, legs, back, chest, shoulders. Each day you will do 10-20 minutes of cardio to warm up, then you will do 4-6 sets of 12-15 reps of very light weight. And you will only do 1 of the 5 muscle groups. After you do the weights, do some abs. Some crunches, some leg lifts and maybe change them up a bit and do angled crunches. It doesn't matter if you can only do a few to start. Eventually you can run off a few hundred and not be winded. And that is true even at 50. Finish your workout with another 10-20 minutes of cardio.

5 muscle groups means 5 workout days a week. This routine gives each group a long time for recovery, which is just as important as the rest.

After a month when your muscles have awaken and realize you are serious, start adding sets. Stay with the 12 -15 reps for awhile longer. We are still trying to wake up our muscles.

This is just a beginning. In a few months, you will keep adding sets and start lowering the reps slightly and raising the weights. You are still not working to failure. That comes later.

As far as diet, you are trying to build some muscle so you will need protein. The powders are fine, salmon, chicken without the skin and grease, eggs. A good book on healthy diets is in order. And go to the library and get some books on fitness.

This is not body building, although you will end up using those same methods.

Most gyms have classes that mix cardio and weight training. They can be really hard for a beginner to do at first. Several weeks of the beginner routine will make that class so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness