Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times

Advertisements

I've found that out. I danced and exercised all my life since 13 to into my mid 60's....years of dancing, gym and LONG LONG miles of walking. Never ran.

Today in late 70's joints are a MESS. I have talked to many others who did so much of what I did and they are having the same results in their older lives.

I deal with arthritis from an early age, 18 first sign, and today good gosh....

MODERATION. Keep moving, but don't go nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 02:12 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Your joints could have been destroyed with limited activity as well so that root cause is actually unknown

Old 05-12-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your joints could have been destroyed with limited activity as well so that root cause is actually unknown
I'll never know that but I know where I've been and where I am today and talked to ENOUGH in the same boat. Today, it's go go go and going overboard.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:25 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I think it all depends upon the kind of exercise and the type of joint damage. A major cause of joint damage would be OA, and when it's bone upon bone, people need knee replacements. It's from a wearing down of the cartilage. The only people I've ever known who needed knee replacements due to OA were either overweight and had put a lot of weight on those joints, people who had done a lot of heavy lifting, also putting a lot of weight on the joints, or people who ran on hard surfaces. I guess dancing on hard surfaces would do the same thing as running.

From what I've read, the best thing is to run on a beach or other surface that has "give."

Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,683 times
Human beings were not meant to run long distances. We are not cheetahs or even animals.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
I have moderate OA and I'm only 41. I have cracking bones. Actually exercise has helped me tremendously. When I was sedentary, i had to take prescription ibuprofen three times daily in order to not have pain. Now, I don't take any pain medicine at all. When I have a bad day (which thankfully isn't often), I just rest in bed. I believe that keeping myself moving and keeping my weight down are the keys here.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:02 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've found that out. I danced and exercised all my life since 13 to into my mid 60's....years of dancing, gym and LONG LONG miles of walking. Never ran.

Today in late 70's joints are a MESS. I have talked to many others who did so much of what I did and they are having the same results in their older lives.

You're in your late 70's. Some things are bound to hurt. Even if the exercise caused the joint issues, if you hadn't gotten it, you'd probably have other physical difficulties, such as diabetes or heart disease.

Aging sucks and that's all there is to it.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:

That's a lot of extrapolation from your sample size of ... 1.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:16 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:

False except at, possibly, the very extreme end of ultra-marathons and the like.

You just lost the genetics lottery. Staying active and exercising most certainly helped your arthritis far, far more than it did any damage. You just got crap joints. 13-year-olds do not go on and develop arthritis at 18 from exercising. Maybe a major trauma but not exercising. It just doesn't happen. Eg, I had an ACL tear as a teenager. Prevalence of OA out 10-20 years is around 500% higher for teenagers who get ACL tears than those who do not. That's pretty easy to measure since you've got two knees and most people don't tear both of them. If you the bilateral knees both have the same degeneration out 20 years, it's wasn't the ACL year. I'm about 15 years out now and non-symptomatic thus so knock on wood.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I have moderate OA and I'm only 41. I have cracking bones. Actually exercise has helped me tremendously. When I was sedentary, i had to take prescription ibuprofen three times daily in order to not have pain. Now, I don't take any pain medicine at all. When I have a bad day (which thankfully isn't often), I just rest in bed. I believe that keeping myself moving and keeping my weight down are the keys here.
It is good to walk and not be sedentary. You are young so lots of life ahead of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness