Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:40 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,357,582 times

Advertisements

I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to gain muscle at home with a pair of dumbells that change weight. Have I come to the correct conclusion? I've been working out with dumbells for more than one year and I still have no visible muscle in my body. I look as non-muscular as someone who never lift weight, even though I've been lifting weight for a long time. I have to go to gym, Don't I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 03:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
curious what your diet looks like - and the type of exercises you're doing.....you might need to work with a trainer who could identify your weaknesses and help you concentrate on the correct exercises as well as guide you through the motions/movement....if you don't have access to gyms and equipment, consider body weight exercises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogatnLV8x2U

Old 05-09-2017, 05:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to gain muscle at home with a pair of dumbells that change weight. Have I come to the correct conclusion? I've been working out with dumbells for more than one year and I still have no visible muscle in my body. I look as non-muscular as someone who never lift weight, even though I've been lifting weight for a long time. I have to go to gym, Don't I?
More than likely, you have a deficiency in diet (likely not enough calories) and/or training.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:21 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
What is the heaviest weight you can set the dumbbells to? You need to lift fairly heavy weight to gain much muscle.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:21 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Or just do what I did and hit a yard sale or Craiglist. Picked up a bench, squat rack, Olympic bars, curl bar, dumbbell handles and an okay selection of weights for $200 at a garage sale years ago. You'll probably pay more on Craigslist but you don't have to look very hard. I just stumbled on that in my neighborhood. The only thing it really was missing was some 45 pound plates.

Weight lifting doesn't need to be fancy. You can do a lot with just dumbbells and certainly can build muscle with them, so the problem likely is either diet or more likely just not lifting enough. If you're trying to bulk diet isn't difficult. Just eat a lot. You just need enough protein and calories and that's it. You can eat garbage food from McDonald's although I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-09-2017 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 04:32 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I think, you need some educating on how to properly gain muscle. You seem pretty clueless.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:49 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
More than likely, you have a deficiency in diet (likely not enough calories) and/or training.
^^^^^^^This. You probably aren't getting enough protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
What is the heaviest weight you can set the dumbbells to? You need to lift fairly heavy weight to gain much muscle.
^^^^^^^And this. How hard are you training? You have to train with intensity. If you feel like you're just about to puke before you stop, you're at the right place.

--

Old 05-10-2017, 07:05 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Its all about the following:

1. Your nutritional intake. Are you eating enough to gain muscle? Are you eating properly?

2. Workout intensity. Are you working out with out of this world inttensity levels?

The hardest part for me was eating enough to gain muscle. Was easy putting together a plan, but eating enough healthy calories per day was very difficult.

Also, I am sure your workout routine is another major culprit for your inability to put on muscle. I've seen guys get RIPPED and I mean TOTALLY RIPPED from just bodyweight exercises, so again, I say its intensity. Not just "5 sets of 10 reps..." kind of thing. If you can do 10 reps on all sets then the weight isnt heavy enough and/or your intensity levels are lacking.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
I think your conclusion is wrong. Most likely your dumbbells aren't heavy enough and/or you aren't eating enough or doing the right exercises.

It's easier to gain muscle with barbells but it isn't 100% necessary. At minimum I would get a bench in addition to the dumbbells so you can do chest presses. With that and enough weight you should be able to put on muscle. Chest press, rows, squats and deadlifts can all be done with dumbbells and should be part of the program.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:19 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,357,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think your conclusion is wrong. Most likely your dumbbells aren't heavy enough and/or you aren't eating enough or doing the right exercises.

It's easier to gain muscle with barbells but it isn't 100% necessary. At minimum I would get a bench in addition to the dumbbells so you can do chest presses. With that and enough weight you should be able to put on muscle. Chest press, rows, squats and deadlifts can all be done with dumbbells and should be part of the program.
My strength doesn't increase. My dumbells are actually too heavy for me but I can change the weight. A pair of 27.5 kilograms dumbells that change the weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness