Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,079 times

Advertisements

Always a good idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 09:11 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
At the risk of being hammered for being a contrarian, I think that their only benefit at most is psychological. Having said that, I admit that I did very little squatting, preferring to use the hack squat machine. Ditto for deadlifts. However, the relatively few times I did squat or deadlift, performance was not enhanced by the belt.

Did a lot of heavy overhead lifting, including snatch, clean and jerk, and military press. Performance not enhanced by the belt. Same thing with power cleans and bent over barbell rows.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
At the risk of being hammered for being a contrarian, I think that their only benefit at most is psychological. Having said that, I admit that I did very little squatting, preferring to use the hack squat machine. Ditto for deadlifts. However, the relatively few times I did squat or deadlift, performance was not enhanced by the belt.

Did a lot of heavy overhead lifting, including snatch, clean and jerk, and military press. Performance not enhanced by the belt. Same thing with power cleans and bent over barbell rows.
Unlike yourself, I do deadlift and squat heavy. It's a fact that a weight belt helps stabilize the spine by increasing intra-abdominal pressure. Before you perform the lift, inhale and press your abdominal muscles against the belt. It's tailor made for heavy squatting and deadlifting. I did some high bar squat sets in the 405-445 lb range this week and the belt does make a difference. It allows you to lift more weight with greater stability. More weight equals more strength. Even more importantly, my lower back feels considerably better when I use the belt on my heavy sets(80% plus of 1RM).

I would imagine that the belt would help with the overhead press or really heavy barbell rows. Not sure about the other lifts. I don't practice those.

This is the belt I just purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/Weightlifter-...ss+weight+belt

Old 04-01-2017, 04:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Unlike yourself, I do deadlift and squat heavy. It's a fact that a weight belt helps stabilize the spine by increasing intra-abdominal pressure. Before you perform the lift, inhale and press your abdominal muscles against the belt. It's tailor made for heavy squatting and deadlifting. I did some high bar squat sets in the 405-445 lb range this week and the belt does make a difference. It allows you to lift more weight with greater stability. More weight equals more strength. Even more importantly, my lower back feels considerably better when I use the belt on my heavy sets(80% plus of 1RM).

I would imagine that the belt would help with the overhead press or really heavy barbell rows. Not sure about the other lifts. I don't practice those.

Thank you. I'll give that one a long look when I'm ready to buy mine.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Thank you. I'll give that one a long look when I'm ready to buy mine.
It was highly rated on Amazon and wasn't very expensive compared to other belts. Definitely worth a look.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post

The ironic thing about my opinion is that I went into lifting with a history of lumbar spine instability stemming from previous military service. Nevertheless, I saw no benefit to the belt. Flare ups occurred regardless of whether the belt was used. Fortunately, and surprisingly, that condition resolved as I aged. Who can figure?

Old 04-02-2017, 01:20 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
The ironic thing about my opinion is that I went into lifting with a history of lumbar spine instability stemming from previous military service. Nevertheless, I saw no benefit to the belt. Flare ups occurred regardless of whether the belt was used. Fortunately, and surprisingly, that condition resolved as I aged. Who can figure?
Perhaps the lifting is what helped the condition resolve. Most physical therapists will tell you pain is sometimes a symptom of weakness or a strength imbalance. Maybe you fixed this when you started lifting. As for the belt helping or not helping, everyone's different. I think I put myself at unnecessary risk by not using one at some pretty heavy weight totals and would recommend one to anyone starting out.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:25 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I am another contrarian on this. I used to have back pain so would use the belt. Let it go and started doing squats and deadlifts without the belt. Obviously dropped the weights a bit and worked my way up and now generally my back feels better. I think having no belts gives my core the job of stabilizing and strengthens it.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Perhaps the lifting is what helped the condition resolve. Most physical therapists will tell you pain is sometimes a symptom of weakness or a strength imbalance. Maybe you fixed this when you started lifting. As for the belt helping or not helping, everyone's different. I think I put myself at unnecessary risk by not using one at some pretty heavy weight totals and would recommend one to anyone starting out.

The lifting may indeed have helped the lumbar instability resolve although it took several years to do so. I do not believe the belt had anything to do with improving the back. Also agree with your observation that everyone's mileage varies.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I am another contrarian on this. I used to have back pain so would use the belt. Let it go and started doing squats and deadlifts without the belt. Obviously dropped the weights a bit and worked my way up and now generally my back feels better. I think having no belts gives my core the job of stabilizing and strengthens it.
Just out of curiosity, how much do you squat/deadlift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness