Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:20 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Is planking the new criteria? Something magic about the 8 minute mark?
I was wondering the same thing. 8 minutes of planks. Hmmm. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
Very long time but I didn't have an improvement for quite sometime. I've been remaining the same for quite sometime.I don't wanna gain weight. I do so much cardio not to gain weight And I've been working with dumbells that change weight at home. I do not go to gym. My weight is 70 kilograms. My height is 172 cm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
In terms of weight lifted you're at the low end of intermediate level.
I agree. Low-intermediate, maybe even high novice. Right on the state line between those two. (Using the beginner-novice-intermediate-advanced-elite methodology.)

OP you're at the ht/wt I was (or pretty close to it) when I was still a runner. I could cruise 10 miles a day at high altitude without cracking a sweat, but in the weight room I was bench pressing ~160 3x10 and saw no need to ever lift anything heavier than that. The bench press was the only "heavy" barbell lift I did, too. No squats, no rows, no deadlifts, no overhead press. At the time it worked for me because running was my priority. A couple years after that I'd worked my way up to 185 on the bench press but I had also aged and gained weight to 165-170. Naturally I wasn't quite as good at running anymore.

About 3 years ago I transitioned from running to weights as my primary outlet for pursuing my fitness goals. I was slowing down on the trails and suffered a couple injuries and needed to do something different. It took me another half a year to really refine my focus into something that worked for me and I started doing mostly power lifting with a higher weight level and low rep count. I also greatly expanded what I was doing, adding all those afore mentioned lifts that I used to not do. My results were dramatic: I still weigh around 170 but now I'm able to bench 280, squat 350, and deadlift 405.

My point here is there's so much more you can be doing than dumbell press and OHDB press. At your weight those numbers aren't bad. If your focus is cardio because you don't want to add weight then don't be surprised if you're never adding to what you can do. You're not wrong for focussing your efforts where you have: everyone's goals are different. But if you want to build on those numbers there's a lot of things you can add to what you're doing.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 PM

797 posts, read 752,105 times
http://strengthlevel.com/

Old 03-26-2017, 12:46 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,479 times
These are not for dumbbells.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:57 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
These are not for dumbbells.
Go into the link he provided and in the exercise window click on the down arrow. At the bottom of the window that comes up are listed DB bench presses and DB shoulder presses.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:26 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Go into the link he provided and in the exercise window click on the down arrow. At the bottom of the window that comes up are listed DB bench presses and DB shoulder presses.

Dumbell Bench Press: Novice
Dumbell Shoulder Press: Novice

Both of them are Novice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness