Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 02:18 PM

265 posts, read 238,948 times

Advertisements

So I did a Google search and have not found a legit article by a reputable source. Anyhow I am on a weight loss goal which is eating 2200 calories a day from what the app I am using says. So I picked up my workout out last month to two sessions a day so I been burning about 400-650 calories a day and I just started using an app to track this for a few days now and I dropped a few pounds. Anyways I'm pushing myself when I work out and I feel tired, I hope this is temporary but my question is am I suppose to eat more calories since I am currently burning a lot. It says on the app that I am under the calories for the day and I don't know if that is good or bad, I mean I used to eat way more. I know it's an adjustment, I feel my body craving but my willpower is greater right now, but I just think maybe I need more calories for the muscles to rebuild?? I really don't know I'm still searching for the answer as we speak but not getting any solid leads besides that they are extra calories for a day out with friends. Will I lose more if I don't put the calories back, is what I am doing healthy? I been getting 2000 calories in instead of the 2200 so I don't know thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
So I did a Google search and have not found a legit article by a reputable source. Anyhow I am on a weight loss goal which is eating 2200 calories a day from what the app I am using says. So I picked up my workout out last month to two sessions a day so I been burning about 400-650 calories a day and I just started using an app to track this for a few days now and I dropped a few pounds. Anyways I'm pushing myself when I work out and I feel tired, I hope this is temporary but my question is am I suppose to eat more calories since I am currently burning a lot. It says on the app that I am under the calories for the day and I don't know if that is good or bad, I mean I used to eat way more. I know it's an adjustment, I feel my body craving but my willpower is greater right now, but I just think maybe I need more calories for the muscles to rebuild?? I really don't know I'm still searching for the answer as we speak but not getting any solid leads besides that they are extra calories for a day out with friends. Will I lose more if I don't put the calories back, is what I am doing healthy? I been getting 2000 calories in instead of the 2200 so I don't know thanks.
I wouldn't eat more. Think of calories burned as extra for loss purposes. By eating more you may be tempted to overeat. Of course if you're suffering workout wise then eat something low in calories. Also machines are notorious for being inaccurate

Old 04-05-2017, 06:44 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,063 times
https://legionathletics.com/macronutrient-calculator/

Use this to get your daily goal calories (be realistic about how much extra exercise you're doing - get the multiplier right) and then set that as your goal in your app. Tracking exercises in the app (assuming it's something like My Fitness Pal which I use for food tracking) skews your numbers so I tend to ignore tracking it in that same app, personally.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:59 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
It's neither.

If you're using the calculator properly (meaning using appropriate inputs for an estimate of you caloric requirements based on your gender, age, weight, and activity level AND accurately estimating calories put in your mouth), all it means is that you're eating less than what the calculator thinks you should be for whatever your goal is.

Tons of stuff could make you tired. Calorie deficit definitely can. Increasing total workout volume (either by increasing duration or intensity) can. Based on the level of activity 2,000 calories sounds sufficient given your goal is to lose weight. In my experience I can run a 500 calorie/day deficit without any issues, meaning lose a pound a week or so. I don't even really notice it aside from yeah, I'd like to have a beer that I can't have or a piece of cake or man seconds of dinner was really tasty and I'd be happy to stuff more in my face even though I'm not really feeling hungry. When I start pushing upwards of 1,000 calorie/day deficit it becomes much harder to sustain. I start having higher perceived effort in exercise. I used to cycle with a watt meter so I could objectively measure that to get the same workout felt like it took a lot more out of me. At the gym I'd feel drained between sets. When trying to cut weight I've kept at it for a few months and it never got any better. The longer it went on it just kept getting worse. That said at that time I was lean already and weight loss was purely motivated by that weight is the enemy of endurance athletes. I've never tried going below a 500ish calorie a day deficit since as I'd rather lose weight slower and not feel hungry than lose weight faster and feel hungry.

What your body will probably adjust to more readily is the increased workout volume. At lower levels, it does adjust, which 400-600 calories is fairly low volume. When you start talking about professional athletes that no longer is the case but you're not there. If I went out and tried to run back to back 5K races today, it would be very tiring to me. Even if they were more just fun runs and I wasn't trying to set PRs, that's more than I do now. I usually run about that twice a week at a more moderate pace. I could work up to it though. You may have ramped up the exercise volume too quickly although the better thing to look at is objectively how your workouts are doing than how you're feeling. If it's weight training, have your gains slowed down? If running has the pace and distance you can run been negatively impacted? You ramped up too quickly. If it's just perceived effort but still improving, more likely it's just the calorie deficit.

Or not. Everyone responds differently to stressors and those are just my experiences.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-05-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 02:59 PM

265 posts, read 238,948 times
Thank you guys, well my strength training has improved in the amount of weight I can lift, but the reason I wrote this thread is because I was starting to feel weak days prior to today, and today I could not lift, or workout really I brunt out. But yesterday my running, cardio, improved, went longer at a decent pace for me and even took the rest of the day off, by not putting a 2nd workout in how I been doing lately, I think I needed to rest big time. 400-600 calories may not be a lot, but it is for me today, I used to be able to roll in jujitsu for like 4 hours with breaks of course, used to run with college friends for fun, play football, I like to think I was in good shape 5'6 150lbs eating anything I wanted, now 8 years later with poor workout sessions, it's been a struggle trying to chase the old me back. Really I started working out this year, started very slow, few days a week, and now I'm going longer, so I hope to keep improving.

The other thing I been eating healthy for the most part since I started using the app to count calories, but I'm not hungry, I'm drinking plenty of water, but I just feel a strong urge to eat pizza, chocolate, chips, nachos, just food that I do not need, is that normal?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Why It's So Hard to Maintain Single Digit Body Fat | Mens Health

Your metabolism adjusts to the lack of calories and it becomes difficult to shed the pounds.

The cravings can be affected by the lack of protein intake. You might want to look at counting your macros (PRO, CARBS, FATs) along w/ Cals. You could be out of balance for the recommended percentages affecting your appetite.

I've lost 20 lbs but gradually over time through exercise and diet. I think gradual is better for long term weight control.

"Set Point" is an important concept. See article linked above from Men's Health.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxqcivmXwY8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness