Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:44 PM

53 posts, read 94,860 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the dieting world. Age 43- female- and recently gained 10 pounds over 4 months. I have always been on the trim side and never had to diet so this is new to me. I want to get back to my usual weight of 125 (I'm 5'5"). I spent the last week calorie restricting to about 600 calories/day (except for one day when I ate normally- 1500 calories) It actually wasn't too difficult for me and i could keep this up for quite a while. my concern is that when you calorie restrict to this degree, am I messing my metabolism up so that it is actually counterproductive and my body doesn't lose as much weight? Or when I eat normally on my one day a week- will that make me gain weight back because my body will hold onto those calories more? Also I'm a little concerned about not giving my body enough nutrients but I'm wondering in the short term- 6 weeks or so if that would be okay? Thanks!

Also, does anyone know of a website where I could figure out how long it will take to lose these 10 pounds in this diet if only walking 3 days a week for 30 minutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 12:23 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
My Fitness Pal.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:56 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
If you were heavier it would probably be fine for 6 weeks. Since you're already at a "healthy" weight I would recommend upping the calories to 1200 a day. You would have to give yourself more time and/or increase exercise to meet your goal, but I think it would be better in the long run.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 AM

2,740 posts, read 1,337,437 times
My Fitness Pal or Lose It.

Do you exercise? I would increase the calories and add in exercise. 600 calories is very low.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:42 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestforme View Post
I'm new to the dieting world. Age 43- female- and recently gained 10 pounds over 4 months. I have always been on the trim side and never had to diet so this is new to me. I want to get back to my usual weight of 125 (I'm 5'5"). I spent the last week calorie restricting to about 600 calories/day (except for one day when I ate normally- 1500 calories) It actually wasn't too difficult for me and i could keep this up for quite a while. my concern is that when you calorie restrict to this degree, am I messing my metabolism up so that it is actually counterproductive and my body doesn't lose as much weight? Or when I eat normally on my one day a week- will that make me gain weight back because my body will hold onto those calories more? Also I'm a little concerned about not giving my body enough nutrients but I'm wondering in the short term- 6 weeks or so if that would be okay? Thanks!

Also, does anyone know of a website where I could figure out how long it will take to lose these 10 pounds in this diet if only walking 3 days a week for 30 minutes?
I don't think that's gonna work. Not enough exercise. I have no scientific formula, just common sense.

I recommend no soda, no bread, and overall - a little less of everything and you should be fine.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:49 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
OP, 600 calories a day isn't enough. Your body will go into "starvation" mode.

Try upping the calorie count to 1200. You will still lose weight, but at a better rate for your body to adjust to. More exercise will help speed things up but isn't necessary to lose weight. Drink LOTS of water.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
OP, 600 calories a day isn't enough. Your body will go into "starvation" mode.

Try upping the calorie count to 1200. You will still lose weight, but at a better rate for your body to adjust to. More exercise will help speed things up but isn't necessary to lose weight. Drink LOTS of water.
Starvation mode isn't real. At least, not how it's discussed in pop culture.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Losing 1 to 2 pounds a week is what you need to shoot for. Two pounds of course is better, but a woman in your 40's 1 to 1 1/2 is gong to be more accurate. Do not put a hard timeline on it. Losing weight fast never works in the long run.
Make sure your diet is sound no matter what type of eating plan you choose and log your food. As the other posters suggested use My fitness Pal, or another similar site.
Walking 30 minutes a day is not going to burn a heck of a lot of calories. Walking is great for body and mind, it is just not a good tool for weight loss. Diet is 90% of the equation. However you can enhance your weight loss with exercise. Get your heart rate up and keep it up. Maybe turn your walk into a run. Start resistance training to build some muscle which will nudge that metabolism a bit more and give you confidence and shape your body.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:40 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
You're eating way too few calories. There's a fine line between restriction and starvation. Download a fitness app. I personally like "Lose It". find out how many calories you need to consume to safely lose weight. I personally like "slow and steady" weight loss because the pounds stay off. Eating even less isn't going to win you brownie points.

You need to increase your physical activity. I'm about the same age as you and now more than ever you need to not only do vigorous cardio exercise but you need to incorporate strength training into your world.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:33 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Set Point: What Your Body is Trying to Tell You | National Eating Disorder Information Centre (NEDIC)

You body adapts to the lower calorie intake by slowing metabolism. Keep this in mind with crash diets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness