Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I'm not sure what kind of gym you're at, but trainers spend most of the time on their fighters. If you're not an active fighter, you're just not going to get the level of time you want.

And you can watch videos. Watch Bernard Hopkins.

I like Bernard because he's old as hell for a boxer, so he has to rely almost solely on skill. I'm not sure what your goals are, but if you intend on fighting, you should watch people that know what they're doing.
No, just no, that is not how any of this works. Boxing gyms are for everyone, and they have special classes for their competitors, which is usually by invitation only since they will not let/sponsor just any one who wants to fight competitively.

No one is going to learn boxing from a video, that is just ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 07:01 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, just no, that is not how any of this works. Boxing gyms are for everyone, and they have special classes for their competitors, which is usually by invitation only since they will not let/sponsor just any one who wants to fight competitively.

No one is going to learn boxing from a video, that is just ridiculous.
Are you serious? Have you been to a boxing gym. Most trainers throw a towel over their shoulder and call themselves trainers. If it wasn't for me watching videos of great fighters, particularly different styles depending on the opponent, I would have never learned to box.

I would still be getting my ass whipped in the gym, so I completely disagree. I think a person would be FOOLISH not to watch greats. I mean, boxing is a skill sport. I have many years of experience, so we can just agree to disagree.

And what are you talking about invitation only?

Go to any boxing gym in the hood, first thing they do is throw you in sparring. If you don't want to fight, they will not spend time on you.

MMA gyms are probably different. They are expensive and usually not located in the hood.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:05 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sounds like a pretty bad gym, go to another place. I have been boxing and doing muay thai for decades, your gym sounds ****-poor.

Fourth lesson and already punching a bag was enough for me to determine what kind of gym this place is.

How much you paying for this place per month?

A real gym will have the separate classes for beginners, intermediate, and advanced. The beginners are not allowed in the advance, but the advance are allowed in the beginners. However, no advanced training takes place in the beginner class even if many advance people are there (advanced people usually attend beginner classes just for the conditioning).

Your ADHD should not be a factor, people do learn at different rates, and the differences vary even more as a person advances. The beginner classes are all basics and conditioning, often to the point of boredom, but that is how it is.
See, we have completely different experiences. I don't know how MMA gyms work, but every boxing gym I've been too, which has been in the hood basically, there are no beginner intermediate and advanced.

It's either you fight or you don't. I'm not sure where you get your information from. I've never been to a gym where they have classes of certain people.

Maybe it exists, but the boxing world is hardly structured. Like I said, it's usually a bunch of people that don't know much about the sport that call themselves trainers and just throw you in.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Back in gym rat days, banging on the heavy bag was a really, good, intense workout. Three minutes then rest, and go at it again, and again.... Never cared for the "speed bag" but that heavy bag was a purgative. Also an ego trip as I could sense the guys watching when the left hook made that bag go BOOM!

Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
If you are banging on the heavy bag.....I assume someone took you, step by step, on how to properly throw punches. If not, that is where I suggest you start......proper technique, hands down, is the most important.

The GREATEST book ever written on basic boxing, by one of the greatest, Jack Dempsey......get THAT book:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/cham...eId=PLGoP24104

Old 05-22-2017, 03:52 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Back in gym rat days, banging on the heavy bag was a really, good, intense workout. Three minutes then rest, and go at it again, and again.... Never cared for the "speed bag" but that heavy bag was a purgative. Also an ego trip as I could sense the guys watching when the left hook made that bag go BOOM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you are banging on the heavy bag.....I assume someone took you, step by step, on how to properly throw punches. If not, that is where I suggest you start......proper technique, hands down, is the most important.

The GREATEST book ever written on basic boxing, by one of the greatest, Jack Dempsey......get THAT book:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/cham...eId=PLGoP24104
Heh, heh, Funny that you should mention books and Dempsey. Not familiar with that book by the Manassa Mauler but I did receive a copy of an instructional handbook by him. It came with a pair of boxing gloves received as a Christmas gift .... at age 9.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:34 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Are you serious? Have you been to a boxing gym. Most trainers throw a towel over their shoulder and call themselves trainers. If it wasn't for me watching videos of great fighters, particularly different styles depending on the opponent, I would have never learned to box.

I would still be getting my ass whipped in the gym, so I completely disagree. I think a person would be FOOLISH not to watch greats. I mean, boxing is a skill sport. I have many years of experience, so we can just agree to disagree.

And what are you talking about invitation only?

Go to any boxing gym in the hood, first thing they do is throw you in sparring. If you don't want to fight, they will not spend time on you.

MMA gyms are probably different. They are expensive and usually not located in the hood.
I live in NYC. Boxing gyms do not allow people to spar immediately. They go over all the basics first. Sometimes classes are just cardio boxing. They go over all the boxing routine. Jump rope, shadow box, hit the pads, hit the heavy bag, hit the speed bag, etc and then you're done.

You have to be a member for a long time before they allow you to spar unless you pay them more $$$.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:33 PM

334 posts, read 662,437 times
Default Boxing Training is Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I can't answer your question..but wonder WHY does one want to box and hit someone/something. Yoga is a great exercise for mind and body. Both genders do yoga for a much healthier exercise.
He did not ask your opinion of boxing training. Done properly under intelligent supervision, it is fantastic. Please cite medical or sports journals that indicate yoga is much healthier excercise as you claim in your. Try to encourage rather than discourage and leave your personal biases out of opinions. My boxing coach was fantastic and lost weight and toned up.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
There are benefits to both physical disciplines.=
Boxing Workout vs. Ashtanga Yoga | Healthy Living

Old 06-11-2017, 03:33 PM

619 posts, read 575,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
I don't think the thread is for this forum, but I will answer it anyways.

One to two hours a day of exercising are what I consider "my time." This is "my time" where I maintain total control of what I am doing and no one is telling me what to do during this segment. The other remaining hours, i have a boss, wife and children who dictate my day, but these 2 exercise hours are mine. I suggest that you straighten that instructor out or move on. That simple. Its "my time!!!"
Absolutely.

I don't do boxing,but I do other classes at the gym. Many (most?) Gyms try to upsell, but they'll try it *once*, not try to coerce you into shelling out more money. If I find a trainer who isn't giving me what I want/need, I'll find another trainer.

My time at the gym is precious. I have to get up really early in the am and give up my free time on the weekends and I don't want to waste my time/money/ effort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness