Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:55 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times

Advertisements

OP,

If you are considering a cruiser - see if you can borrow one before you buy. My neighbor offered to lend me her cruiser which she rarely used because of its weight. After using it for two days I decided it was just too darn heavy. There was just no way I had the upper body strength to be lifting it on and off a bike rack attached to either my car or the bus. Most of the places safe to ride like the state park and bike trails in the area required transportation to get to a safe place to ride.

So, the weight of the bike can be a deal breaker if you don't have a lot of upper body strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 12:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Cruisers are heavy. I'm officially a senior and so is my wife but we ride a modern Trek tandem. It's closest equivalent in a single women's bike would be an FX2. Specialized and Giant also have very similar models. This is the minimum bike to have if you actually want to enjoy riding. If the ~$300+ to ~$400+ retail is too much money, try to find them used. A new bike that is much under $300 will be heavy, slow, things will break, and it will quickly become an unused waste of money.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:54 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Shopping for a bike to replace my 20 year old Trek mountain bike. Those days are so behind me. Looking online at the cruisers and the comfort bikes with easy pass through bars. What brand of bike do you ladies ride? (Trek is out of my price range). I am going to head to Dicks Sporting Goods later on this week. They seem to stock affordably priced bikes with good reviews. Discuss.....

Mar
I would recommend buying a used higher-end bike instead.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:50 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Cruisers are heavy. I'm officially a senior and so is my wife but we ride a modern Trek tandem. It's closest equivalent in a single women's bike would be an FX2. Specialized and Giant also have very similar models. This is the minimum bike to have if you actually want to enjoy riding. If the ~$300+ to ~$400+ retail is too much money, try to find them used. A new bike that is much under $300 will be heavy, slow, things will break, and it will quickly become an unused waste of money.
Yeah, something like the Trek FX series of bikes is what I'd recommend as well. They have the Stagger which has a very low top bar. Giant closest thing would probably be the Cypress which is more similar to the Specialized Roll bikes (super upright, low seat height). Specialized probably has the best range of bikes. You can get the Roll with very wide tires if you want more stability on gravel trails and a very upright position with or without step-through design, Alibi for a more stretched frame geometry, Ariel, Vita, and Sirius progressively more aggressive less upright position.

A lot of it depends what brands your local bike shops tend to carry but they're pretty comparable between brands. There's still going to be overlap at something like Dicks as Dicks will carry the same type of bikes at the mid to higher end that a bike shop will carry at the low end as well as the WalMart bikes that WalMart carries at generally lower prices (Schwinn, Huffy). I'd just get a a WalMart bike at WalMart. Same bike, lower price.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-28-2017 at 03:58 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 01:15 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Shopping for a bike to replace my 20 year old Trek mountain bike. Those days are so behind me. Looking online at the cruisers and the comfort bikes with easy pass through bars. What brand of bike do you ladies ride? (Trek is out of my price range). I am going to head to Dicks Sporting Goods later on this week. They seem to stock affordably priced bikes with good reviews. Discuss.....

Mar
I ride a Fuji Tread 1.5 (2015) 16-speed cross terrain. Looks like a road/touring bike (dropped handle bars, skinny seat) but can be taken off-road, due to having a heavier frame and slightly bulkier tires. I paid $770, plus i had some add-ons put on that raised the price to about $1,000. It was purchased new from CK Cycles, an independent bike shop in Colonie, NY.

I'm built like a Mack truck, so my bike has a men's triangle frame, rather than the dropped crossbar.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:45 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The one thing I would caution you on, is the presumption that a thickly padded seat will be better. It will not. What happens is that the padding crushes down under your "sit bones" and rises up between them to press on soft items that should not be pressed on.

If you are planning to sit more upright than "racing position" - which it sounds like you are - I strongly recommend that you use a wide, flat, hard seat, not a wide thickly padded one.

Unfortunately, there are only two such that I'm aware of, both made by Brooks. I don't have the model numbers in front of me, but one of the models has coil springs (significant cushioning of road shocks) and the other has what I call "loop" springs (minimal cushioning of road shocks). They are pricey but offer the best chance of no bike seat pain. I ride the coil spring version on all my bicycles. For reference, back when the bicycle was the main mode of transportation for hundreds of thousands of British citizens, these Brooks saddles were the standard equipment on the hundreds of thousands of three-speed bicycles used for daily transportation. If they had not been satisfactory, that wouldn't have been the case.

The only thing is that they are leather saddles, so you need to keep them out of the rain.
You are so right! There is a reason for narrow firm seats in that they put your weight where it needs to be for the distance. Maybe counter-intuitive, but fact nonetheless.

Don in Austin

Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,403,751 times
As has been mentioned, the giant cypress edition would probably be a great fit for you.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
You are so right! There is a reason for narrow firm seats in that they put your weight where it needs to be for the distance. Maybe counter-intuitive, but fact nonetheless.

Don in Austin
Agree! Seats should be wider the more upright you are, and narrower the lower you are. Although I did a casual bike tour on a wide padded seat - it lasted 4 hours and I was amazed that I wasn't sore! There are a handful of decent padded seats, but they are rare. And not as comfy as my leather saddle!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:24 AM

526 posts, read 386,324 times
My wife is 42, is that middle aged? She rides a road bike, we bought it at REI. We ride quite a bit together, we did 94 miles on Memorial Day but our typical rides are between 30-50 miles.

I'd test ride a number of bikes. The difference between a $1000 bike and a $3500 bike to your normal beginner rider are small and imperceptible. But the difference between a $600 used nicer bike and any department store bike are astronomical.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness