Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 05:19 PM

505 posts, read 583,425 times

Advertisements

In the middle of cardio class today a woman stood in front of the class appearing to take photos/filming our class! I put my hand over my face and waited for her to finish. She continued for awhile. I didn't want to interrupt class, so I left class and went to the front desk asking for a manager. There wasn't one available, but the front desk girl said that's not right and she'd stop her.

By the time we returned, the lady returned to working out. Front desk gal promised to talk to her after class.

Immediately after class I nicely approached the teacher and the photographer/student. After explaining I do not consent for my photo to be taken while I'm working out, am sensitive over my weight and have no idea where that image is going to end up?? I also mentioned the Dani Mathers gym incident (Dani Mathers posted photo of naked unsuspecting woman at gym - NY Daily News). She hadn't heard of it.

The teacher was nonchalant saying she'd asked this classmate to take only a photo of her, during class, teaching. The lady interjected that the photos were taken on a cheap camera and doubts anyone could see me in the background. I left in peace, complimenting the teacher on her class, but photos during class weren't cool. I still feel violated. I know my gym has camera bans. Am I overreacting? How would you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:27 PM

619 posts, read 574,797 times
That's not ok, imho. One of my instructors at my gym once wanted a photo of the class for her own use - but she (a) asked our permission and (b) took the photo after the class, not during.

It doesn't matter*why* you didn't want your photo taken-the fact is that you have a right to your privacy and your gym has a no camera rule. I would find a manager and bring it up with them.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:38 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Not cool at all. Talk to the manager/owner of the gym. At the very least the class teacher should have said she was having her picture taken and if it would bother anyone if they were in the photo.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
In the middle of cardio class today a woman stood in front of the class appearing to take photos/filming our class! I put my hand over my face and waited for her to finish. She continued for awhile. I didn't want to interrupt class, so I left class and went to the front desk asking for a manager. There wasn't one available, but the front desk girl said that's not right and she'd stop her.

By the time we returned, the lady returned to working out. Front desk gal promised to talk to her after class.

Immediately after class I nicely approached the teacher and the photographer/student. After explaining I do not consent for my photo to be taken while I'm working out, am sensitive over my weight and have no idea where that image is going to end up?? I also mentioned the Dani Mathers gym incident (Dani Mathers posted photo of naked unsuspecting woman at gym - NY Daily News). She hadn't heard of it.

The teacher was nonchalant saying she'd asked this classmate to take only a photo of her, during class, teaching. The lady interjected that the photos were taken on a cheap camera and doubts anyone could see me in the background. I left in peace, complimenting the teacher on her class, but photos during class weren't cool. I still feel violated. I know my gym has camera bans. Am I overreacting? How would you feel?
The bolded part. Their attitude(and especially the teacher) is flippant, no comments on your concerns.

You shouldn't have complimented the teacher on her class. Why do that? You were made to feel very uncomfortable, and she basically made it all about her with no apology, you ended up leaving the class, so how was that a good class? It wasn't.

You have a valid complaint, don't be such a milquetoast.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not cool at all. Talk to the manager/owner of the gym. At the very least the class teacher should have said she was having her picture taken and if it would bother anyone if they were in the photo.
Absolutely. And not be so dismissive about a valid concern.

But you don't turn around and tell them it was a good class.

That's like going to restaurant and the food isn't good nor the service, you speak to the manager who doesn't address your concerns and you end it with "we will come back again soon".

=

Old 06-26-2017, 12:07 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
If it's true that the teacher asked the student to film or photog in class, the teacher was violating the no-cameras rule. This should definitely be reported to the manager.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:09 AM

4,558 posts, read 5,408,775 times
Looks like I am the only person who doesnt see a problem here.

First of all, what gym in 2017 has a "no camera" rule? How is this even possible to enforce when EVERYONE has a camera with them - their iPhone (or whatever other smart phone they have)?!?!?! The Crossfit gym is probably the ONLY gym I've been in where people arent with their cell phones. All others (24Hr Fitness, LA Fitness, Golds, Equinox, etc.) people all have their cell phones with them.

Secondly, there is a HUGE difference between taking photos or even videos of a group cardio class in session, and what that model did in taking a photo of a NUDE woman in the locker room. Apples and oranges here.

I think it is DEFINITELY an overreaction on your part for what actually happened. I think the more you workout, and your confidence and self esteem grows, you'll look back on this and realize yourself that it was a complete overreaction on your part.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:36 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Looks like I am the only person who doesnt see a problem here.

First of all, what gym in 2017 has a "no camera" rule? How is this even possible to enforce when EVERYONE has a camera with them - their iPhone (or whatever other smart phone they have)?!?!?! The Crossfit gym is probably the ONLY gym I've been in where people arent with their cell phones. All others (24Hr Fitness, LA Fitness, Golds, Equinox, etc.) people all have their cell phones with them.

Secondly, there is a HUGE difference between taking photos or even videos of a group cardio class in session, and what that model did in taking a photo of a NUDE woman in the locker room. Apples and oranges here.

I think it is DEFINITELY an overreaction on your part for what actually happened. I think the more you workout, and your confidence and self esteem grows, you'll look back on this and realize yourself that it was a complete overreaction on your part.
Have you read any of the membership agreements for those gyms you listed? 24 hour fitness clearly states taking photos or filming others is not permitted without their prior knowledge and consent within the public areas of the gym is is prohibited in all forms in the kids area and private areas of the gym.

This is a pretty common stance and any gym of any sizable operation would be foolish not to have a similar policy in place

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 06-26-2017 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 AM

951 posts, read 1,139,812 times
At my gym, there are only signs in the locker room prohibiting cameras. Gyms nowadays are pretty aware of social media and mobile devices with cameras. I think the OP somewhat overreacted as cameras in gyms are pretty common now, even though it's not welcomed. I know I wouldn't like it either if I saw someone recording while I was in the background, but I wouldn't go up to management because of it. I'll try to get out of the background or hope they don't plaster it all over the place. If I felt like they were deliberately recording me, then that's a different story.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:35 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,738,147 times
No, I don't think it was an overreaction. If you'd yelled and screamed, that would have been one. You were calm and reminded them of the rule. No big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness