Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 02:03 PM

370 posts, read 501,609 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have been going to the same gym for years. It has been bought out so many times but only once by some great owners. They had me excited about going to the gym. Their team would help us with those machines sometimes we're too embarrassed to ask how they work. I lost the remaining 20 pounds.

Fast forward to now: The gym is owned, or so I have heard, by a family. Their staff sit at the desk and don't even say hello as you walk in. I doubt any of them know how to work any of the machines. They are all kids just getting a paycheck. I can't remember when this gym, no matter who owned it, had people that either were certified trainers or had years under their belt.

I am curious what is your gym like? I think after summer I will start looking for a better gym but wonder if they exist?

JP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 03:45 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,760,455 times
Of course better gyms exist. My gym is a small local chain of just 3 gyms, but they are wonderful. Clean, up to date equipment, helpful staff, quite a few trainers with solid accreditations and backgrounds, pool, lots of classes, etc...Broken equipment gets removed or fixed quickly. They are flexible with taking time off and putting months on hold if you are ill or traveling. I am very fortunate.
Even the big chain gyms like 24 Hour Fitness sound better than the gym you are currently going to and that is saying something.
Visit gyms in your area and make sure you know what you will be getting for your money. Especially keep and eye out for old, dated, run down equipment (weight machines, benches, good supply of various weights, current treadmills, cycles and ellipticals) and of course cleanliness.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:55 PM

9,484 posts, read 16,375,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
Hello

I have been going to the same gym for years. It has been bought out so many times but only once by some great owners. They had me excited about going to the gym. Their team would help us with those machines sometimes we're too embarrassed to ask how they work. I lost the remaining 20 pounds.

Fast forward to now: The gym is owned, or so I have heard, by a family. Their staff sit at the desk and don't even say hello as you walk in. I doubt any of them know how to work any of the machines. They are all kids just getting a paycheck. I can't remember when this gym, no matter who owned it, had people that either were certified trainers or had years under their belt.

I am curious what is your gym like? I think after summer I will start looking for a better gym but wonder if they exist?

JP
Do you live in Florida? What you describe is very common in Florida. Whether it's the work ethic, or the transient nature of much of the state I don't know. It's just noticeable. Finding a good gym anymore seems impossible in some regions.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:39 PM

370 posts, read 501,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Do you live in Florida? What you describe is very common in Florida. Whether it's the work ethic, or the transient nature of much of the state I don't know. It's just noticeable. Finding a good gym anymore seems impossible in some regions.

LOL I do live in Florida. I used to live in Chicago and lived very humbly as I had too!! The tiny bit of money I made I went to this great gym. I LOVED it. It was like a night out for me. Now, I noticed I have to make myself go and the entire time BORED. I also gained three pounds...so it's important to stay on a good path and not start gaining.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:41 PM

18,766 posts, read 27,196,342 times
I go to LA Fitness. It's Walmart of the gyms. Plenty of everything but cheap.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:30 AM

619 posts, read 567,749 times
I belong to nysc. My membership level enables me to go to any of their gym locations, and I have been to a lot. As a chain, they're not high end, and some of the locations are better than others. However the staff are always friendly, the locations are fairly clean (some more than others), the trainers are visible, and they offer many classes. The machine maintenance is not always great. It seems to me that nobody does regular spot check so a machine that is still functioning but is wobbly or squeaking will go unrepaired. And I've noticed that there can be an "out of order" sign on a machine for a week before it gets taken care of.

Actually my main pet peeve about the chain is that their locations in the city are crowded and spread out over a number of narrow floors, so you enter at one level, walk down to the locker room, walk up to the machine are, down to the studio, etc

Old 07-03-2017, 06:20 PM

373 posts, read 345,699 times
My gym is a national chain . But my location is big has anything I would need . Multiple pieces of equipment have duplicates for when it's busy .

The times it's busy are so bi polar some days mornings are dead others it's busy same with mid afternoo

It's a mad house after 4pm and after 10am on weekends

Training staff seems to be a tight knit group who doesn't really care for the people they train they seem cocky and do a half a** job for the commission or whatever they get . Seem to be only there for free membership

Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,134,682 times
Unless I'm going to a group exercise class, I don't like when gym staff interacts with me.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 PM

1,098 posts, read 886,770 times
Quote:
LOL I do live in Florida. I used to live in Chicago and lived very humbly as I had too!! The tiny bit of money I made I went to this great gym. I LOVED it. It was like a night out for me. Now, I noticed I have to make myself go and the entire time BORED. I also gained three pounds...so it's important to stay on a good path and not start gaining.
Haha I lived in Florida and I noticed that too. People just don't care...about anything lol

Old 07-06-2017, 04:19 AM

4,522 posts, read 5,319,380 times
Quote:
What is your gym like? It seems like mine has all but given up

JP
The privately owned Crossfit gyms are absolutely fantastic. I training at 2 different ones and they are spot on top notch gyms with top notch equipment and top notch trainers.

For the corporate or "big box" gyms nothing else on the planet compares to Equinox. Here you have the finest facilities with the finest equipment that is ALWAYS in working order. Also the absolute cleanest and most sterile gyms you will ever encounter.

For me, its Crossfit gyms or Equinox by a WIIIIIIIIIDDDDE margin over any and everything else.

Other gyms can be hit and miss depending on the location and size, but for the most part, you just absolutely cannot go wrong with an Equinox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness