Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 01:21 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,292,370 times

Advertisements

The human body is scrutinized in every which way. Comments about people being too fat or skinny, or having a big butt or no butt at all, out of proportion, whatever. In the fitness world, body types range from a lean marathoner to a huge and ripped body builder, and all kinds in between.

What bothers me are how people can look at somebody who has obviously spent a lot of time sculpting their body, and say they look disgusting like way too many muscles or too lean etc. In my opinion the "correct" response would be that even though a particular body type isn't your thing, that you should respect the time and effort that person puts into themselves.

I've heard people comment on these 300+ lineman in football saying how fat they are. Those guys can motor, have power, and spend their lives focused on their fitness. Just because their body doesn't look the part doesn't mean they are as fit as hell and work countless hours a day on it.

I am no physical specimen. But for 30 years I have put in a lot of time and effort into keeping myself fit. For the past 2 years running has been my thing. My first marathon is 3+ months away, and I run 5-6 days a week, all runs 10 miles or greater, and weekly mileage from 50-70 miles. People say I look good and that'd great, but deep down I respect my own efforts that I put forth. I personally do not like the look of a body builder, oversized if you will, but I absolutely respect the dedication and effort of that person to get to look that way. Unless you've been down the fitness path, you have no idea how hard it is to keep up the physical activity level, the time it takes, and nutritional battles, etc. It's hard, and I think it deserves respect.

If there is 100% evidence that a person used performance enhancing drugs to aid their look, then in part I temper that respect. I know a lot of athletes have used PED's for injury reasons. PED's or not, that person still had to put the time and effort in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 05:20 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,926,780 times
I both agree and disagree.

The point I agree with is that it's good to respect other people's choices about exercise. Anyone who makes the effort to be fit should be supported in this, regardless of whether that person approaches it the same way someone else might.

Where I disagree is in regard to the idea that you can't have an opinion about the appearance of various builds. Different people find different builds attractive, or not, just as individuals vary in which hair colors they find most attractive.

It's true that hair color is something you're just born with and don't work to achieve, but it's also the case that each person finds some builds more attractive than others regardless of how someone gained a certain build. It's no good to put someone down, but I see no problem in expressing an opinion about whether you find a given build attractive in general.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:58 PM

19,066 posts, read 27,642,285 times
Ahhhh.... mature and stop paying attention to opinions? Also, stop being opinionated?
That works.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:09 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,258,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I've heard people comment on these 300+ lineman in football saying how fat they are. Those guys can motor, have power, and spend their lives focused on their fitness. Just because their body doesn't look the part doesn't mean they are as fit as hell and work countless hours a day on it.

And even setting aside those who survive beyond age 45 because they haven't contracted chronic traumatic encephalopathy, they develop cardiovascular diseases, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, elevated stroke risks, and kidney failure at a relatively young age.. But boy we sure idolized them and their 330 lbs. of bulk, and ability to bench 600# when they were younger.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:44 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,292,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I both agree and disagree.

The point I agree with is that it's good to respect other people's choices about exercise. Anyone who makes the effort to be fit should be supported in this, regardless of whether that person approaches it the same way someone else might.

Where I disagree is in regard to the idea that you can't have an opinion about the appearance of various builds. Different people find different builds attractive, or not, just as individuals vary in which hair colors they find most attractive.

It's true that hair color is something you're just born with and don't work to achieve, but it's also the case that each person finds some builds more attractive than others regardless of how someone gained a certain build. It's no good to put someone down, but I see no problem in expressing an opinion about whether you find a given build attractive in general.
It's not about the opinion itself as I have them too, but it's in the way we express it. Lance Armstrong deserved the backlash he received despite how hard he physically worked at his craft. He just took it too far. I have preferences as to desirable body forms, but what's the point of being negative and critical? Serena Williams body type just isn't my type, but I marvel at her greatness. I've read so many articles trying to pick her apart...negative. Even if I don't like the big bulky look, I will always marvel at the effort it took to get there. I have nothing to say negative outwardly, and throw high praise for the work behind that body.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:14 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,646,615 times
Because we judge anything we SEE. Well will comment, whether it's a good or bad comment.

Some body types just plain do not look good, like female body builders, so we say it. While others look fantastic, so we say that too.

We praise, but we also criticize.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:23 AM

9,419 posts, read 8,393,904 times
Stop looking at social media so much. Everyone's perfect there and fast to criticize. Easier said than done, I know.....but commenting on things like that are a fast road to nowhere.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,580,319 times
Some will like the way you look, others won't. End of story.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:18 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,740,800 times
The bodybuilders with the big bloated guts are disgusting, I don't care how much work they put in.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:04 AM

50 posts, read 35,354 times
I do not know but people will always have to say about anything that they see. You will not find happiness if you will entertain what they say. It is nice to see fit people or those with abs, muscles that seemed to be perfect or in place. Sometimes I also feel envious that the dress on the mannequin doesn't look good on me. But through living this life, I have come to realize that it not bring any good if you keep on trying to be perfect in other people's preference - trying to please them all - because it is tiring and impossible.

I may not be living as 'fit' as what the society may label but I know that I am trying to live life everyday like it is the last. I do simple exercises not to have good shape but because I want to burn enough calories for the day. I exercise because I want to get relaxed, boost my energy and improve my creativity. I eat healthy because I want to have the proper nutrients daily, to boost my immunity, to keep my hair, skin and nails healthy or as simple as I want to give my body the daily nutrient it needs.

When there is something wrong with the body or needs a special attention, I guess the best way could be seeing a doctor. He is the only one who can give the best opinion to improve current situation - not just other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness