Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Your missing the point.

Her point is that you don't going to give up on eating well and exercising, but that you do accept that you might never have a models body.
No, I am not missing the point. Ever think about the fact that I have firsthand knowledge about this, and that I may be experiencing it right now?

It's not about having a "model's body" (nor should it be, human string bean space cadets are not attractive in the slightest to begin with!). It's about dropping enough weight so that just getting through your normal daily routine doesn't cause damage to your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
True but it does show how people stop caring about calories (and no, just because you are on a cruise ship doesn't mean you should consume 8000 calories a day) and if someone goes so way overboard at a buffet chances are they don't realize that they overeat regularly. That's why I also noted how many calories a tiny healthy protein bar has. A lot of food is simply very fattening.

If you gorge on a breakfast buffet I doubt you have the required control to eat right in daily life. I personally believe that only a tiny minority has health problems that prevent them from losing weight. It really is all about intake and exercise combined.
I'm afraid I disagree with your last paragraph. I have EXCELLENT control and eat right most of the time. But I do consume a lot of calories during my designated day for indulgence. I probably put away 3000-4000 calories. I also eat a lot on vacation. One can look at that and go "tsk tsk" but it's what's kept me sane, prevented regain and isn't uncontrolled. I know exactly what I'm doing and I easily get back on track. Part of finding a weight loss solution is acknowledging your body's limitations and being in tune with how it works. Eating right all of the time isn't something that works for me. sometimes the proverbial restrictive belt needs to be loosened. By curtailing these indulgences to specific days or times, I can easily adjust my caloric intake throughout the week to compensate for it. I also exercise regularly, which gives me some wiggle room. FWIW restricting calories triggers bingeing, so this is what's prevented constant bingeing/obsessing about food.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Upping your workout to drop 10-15 lbs is probably the wrong approach. If you need to drop those lbs you should address your diet and that's exactly why people may say "forget it I'm just fat" because they don't want to address the intake
This.

Due largely to medication side effects, I began to gain weight. Then I started feeding emotions due to that. Then I was more sedentary than I had been.

I used to weigh a steady 140, not bad for a 5'6" man. I had a 32" waist.

Then I resigned myself to it. Then I realized that at 276, I was heading for 300, about half what those on my 600 pound life TV show were at. Bad bad bad.

Then last year I turned diabetic. I went to 10 hours of class on how to manage diabetes. I learned to control my diet. I learned to SEVERELY limit my eating and in particular my carb intake. I learned to not let 5 hours go by without eating something, but it doesn't need to be a 4 course meal and a 60,000 calorie desert!

Since last November, I have lost 46 pounds!

I am disabled and get around with a cane. It's all diet alone that caused my weight loss. I can't run, jog or even walk well!

So if you travel you probably eat a lot in restaurants and eat larger amounts than you might normally. Reduce your amount of intake, reduce carbs, never let more than 5 hours go by without eating, and you should see some results. Carry fruit like an apple with you and or other favorite for when you Know it's going to be longer than 5 hours for your next meal.

Best of luck, but don't resign yourself to FAT. We all know it's unhealthy.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:46 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Sorry, but do you have a 90 day journal. The body is designed to be able to manage changes in weight. Slow metabolism is just a popular excuse. Have you had your metabolism tested? How do you know it's slow? There could be many reasons why you didn't lose weight.
I have to disagree with you. Have you seen this? After the "Biggest Loser", Their bodies fought to regain weight

Studies have shown that metabolisms do slow down and researchers in this particular study were "blown away" at the results. A quote from the article:

"Most people who have tried to lose weight know how hard it is to keep the weight off, but many blame themselves when the pounds come back. But what obesity research has consistently shown is that dieters are at the mercy of their own bodies, which muster hormones and an altered metabolic rate to pull them back to their old weights, whether that is hundreds of pounds more or that extra 10 or 15 that many people are trying to keep off."

And another quote about one of the former winners:

Mr. Cahill was one of the worst off. As he regained more than 100 pounds, his metabolism slowed so much that, just to maintain his current weight of 295 pounds, he now has to eat 800 calories a day less than a typical man his size. Anything more turns to fat.

There is plenty of scientific research that supports the fact that some people have to work much harder at losing or maintaining weight than others. Don't be so quick to judge just because it's easy for you.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
One associate even said "forget about it, I'm just fat" meaning she is tired of working on her body
That's just how you see it.

Perhaps she is proud of herself and has enough self-confidence that she chooses to remain that size. I have been a big girl all my life. Always wore a 16 and above. I learned that the people who love me for me, are much better quality than the people who liked me when I was skinny (yes, I did lose weight in my thirties and wore a size 5 once - I looked ill).

~Proud phattie and don't care if you don't like it.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
No, I am not missing the point. Ever think about the fact that I have firsthand knowledge about this, and that I may be experiencing it right now?

It's not about having a "model's body" (nor should it be, human string bean space cadets are not attractive in the slightest to begin with!). It's about dropping enough weight so that just getting through your normal daily routine doesn't cause damage to your body.
I have a completely different opinion. Everyone should focus on eating well and exercising, irrespective if it makes a difference on the scale.

When we say the only reason to do this stuff is to lose weight - this leads to people making poor choices.

Some people, for a myriad of reasons, may do all of the "right things" and still be overweight. And that is fine. It is way more important to do the right things than it is to be the "right weight." You may find the behaviors you need to be smaller are not sustainable for your body, well being or health. And it is OK. Eat your veggies, limit added sugar and do well rounded physical activity. This will improve tour longevity.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
There is no one size fits all solution for weight loss. Do what works for you. Some can benefit from low carb /keto and some won't.
If you have followed any of my posts that is exactly what I say.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
I did the ketogenic approach. Super strict low/no carb and combined this with cardio (ran approx. 600 miles since February) and 3 times a week gym (weights).

Fat melted away very quickly. What took about 20 years to accumulate was gone in less than half a year.

It's eye opening to realize how fattening food is. A tiny no sugar / mostly fiber carb protein bar (like the Quest bars) is almost 200kcal.
I'm on a cruise ship right now and seeing what a typical breakfast plate looks like removes all doubt why people are fat. There must be an average of 2000kcal of syrupy waffles and fatty bacon just to start the day LOL!!!!
Oh you go... and well done... marvellous.. I look at a big meal on a plate now and think NO I could never eat that now... when a few months ago I would have made a valid attempt along with a slice of buttered bread , hahaha. now its two slices of brown bread with tuna , low mayo or chicken and low mayo.. fills just the same without feeling bloated ... bread is the one thing I must have...but the rest of the junk has gone, hopefully forever. and its not nearly as hard as I thought.. in fact not hard at all.. I never go hungry as thats disastrous.. Cheese at first was difficult as its always been a favourite of mine.. so very little and not often ...grated as it looks more that way than it is.....if I keep this up I should be two stones lighter in another month..way to go granny hahahaha

Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's just how you see it.

Perhaps she is proud of herself and has enough self-confidence that she chooses to remain that size. I have been a big girl all my life. Always wore a 16 and above. I learned that the people who love me for me, are much better quality than the people who liked me when I was skinny (yes, I did lose weight in my thirties and wore a size 5 once - I looked ill).

~Proud phattie and don't care if you don't like it.
If you feel you are living the life you want and are not limiting yourself due to your weight, then you are fine. At 300 lbs, I could barely walk 2 blocks. I paid thousands of dollars to go on vacation to places I never got to see because I couldn't walk around.
I know that there are other people missing out on life because of their weight. It's not about a size. It's the quality of life. There are many proud phatties who are faking it.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
If you feel you are living the life you want and are not limiting yourself due to your weight, then you are fine.
I'm 230 and 5'7" and have no issues living my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness