Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

No one thinks it's odd that grown adults don't have the mental/emotional maturity to not feel judged wherever they go? Even if someone at the gym is judging you, f them. You paid your money the same as they did. Do your workout and go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 05:23 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
I lift things up and put them down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g

Old 07-27-2017, 05:42 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
You obviously haven't heard about the playboy bunny who body-shamed the old woman in the locker room.
Since when is a Playboy Bunny likely to be a serious lifter?

Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Since when is a Playboy Bunny likely to be a serious lifter?
Lots of women can be very serious about lifting without looking like some musclebound lughead.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:16 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
I have been to hole in the wall weight lifter gyms, the expensive weight lifter club type gyms, and Planet Fitness which I go to now.

The major differences:

- PF is a lot cleaner, with newer equipment that is in good repair, and is cleaned by staff often
- PF has a better selection of cardio
- PF has just as many free weights as those other gyms with the exception that dumbbells stop at 75 vs 100. Not very many people legitimately use weights above that. I've never seen anyone even come close to curling 75#
- The bench press and squat rack is this combo thing that has a safety latch on it and travels on a track up and down. I don't like it so just use free weights for lunges and pushups for chest. That's the biggest loss in equipment that I see
- PF has a ton of machines if you're into them
- PF is $10/month vs $30

Old 07-27-2017, 08:29 PM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes, it does.

And I'm glad there are gyms like that.

If people want to scream and grunt and drop weights just to feed their egos and narcissism, that is their right, but that they are free to do that in most gyms.

There are quite a few of us that desire a more peaceful atmosphere, where we have no desire to be near or hear roid monsters scream and rant and rave for every single rep and deliberately slam dumbbells and deadlifts ("loook at meeeee"). But we are in the minority, because people like us get mocked as being soft and weak and have no business being in gyms if we feel that way.

Hence, fitness chains that do stress tolerance and are strict about not dropping weights, are a very welcome sight.

Hey, if you think that's dumb, that's your opinion. You guys have tons of gym options to feed your egos. The rest of us do NOT have that option in general. So again, these types of gyms are more than welcome.

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...t-fitness.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...p-weights.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...tness-now.html
It's funny you should mention feeding egos at it seems a gym like planet fitness exists to feed the egos of those out of shape-or save their egos.
My gym has a huge variety of people. Old people, teenagers, bodybuilders, grossly overweight people, skinny people, and average joes. There's more than a few roid users here too. I'm there 5 days a week and have never seen anyone disrespect anyone. Everyone is polite and just does their own thing. I've been working out consistantly 5 days a week for 40 years and have only seen a few lunkheads. Believe it or not, the serious lifters laugh at them or get annoyed by them.
Isn't planet fitness the one that has pizza nights for the members? Maybe if people really wanted to get in shape they would pick a more serious gym.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:36 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes, it does.

And I'm glad there are gyms like that.

If people want to scream and grunt and drop weights just to feed their egos and narcissism, that is their right, but that they are free to do that in most gyms.

There are quite a few of us that desire a more peaceful atmosphere, where we have no desire to be near or hear roid monsters scream and rant and rave for every single rep and deliberately slam dumbbells and deadlifts ("loook at meeeee"). But we are in the minority, because people like us get mocked as being soft and weak and have no business being in gyms if we feel that way.

Hence, fitness chains that do stress tolerance and are strict about not dropping weights, are a very welcome sight.

Hey, if you think that's dumb, that's your opinion. You guys have tons of gym options to feed your egos. The rest of us do NOT have that option in general. So again, these types of gyms are more than welcome.

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...t-fitness.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...p-weights.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...tness-now.html
Yeah just like you agree with someone getting stabbed to death over giving someone the middle finger in a road rage incident in the thread you posted.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:40 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
My gym has a huge variety of people. Old people, teenagers, bodybuilders, grossly overweight people, skinny people, and average joes. There's more than a few roid users here too. I'm there 5 days a week and have never seen anyone disrespect anyone. Everyone is polite and just does their own thing. I've been working out consistantly 5 days a week for 40 years and have only seen a few lunkheads. Believe it or not, the serious lifters laugh at them or get annoyed by them.
Your gym is typical. The problem is that people who've never gone to a gym to work out before don't know that.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I have been to hole in the wall weight lifter gyms, the expensive weight lifter club type gyms, and Planet Fitness which I go to now.

The major differences:

- PF is a lot cleaner, with newer equipment that is in good repair, and is cleaned by staff often
- PF has a better selection of cardio
- PF has just as many free weights as those other gyms with the exception that dumbbells stop at 75 vs 100. Not very many people legitimately use weights above that. I've never seen anyone even come close to curling 75#
- The bench press and squat rack is this combo thing that has a safety latch on it and travels on a track up and down. I don't like it so just use free weights for lunges and pushups for chest. That's the biggest loss in equipment that I see
- PF has a ton of machines if you're into them
- PF is $10/month vs $30
I see people using over 75lb dumbells all the time. Flat and inline chest presses, tricep presses, shoulder presses, one arm dumbell rows. Of course if you work out at planet fitness and there aren't serious lifters and you don't know those exercises exist you might think they are not needed. At my Gym it's hard to find the dumbells in the 70 to 100lb range because so many people use them.
The problem with machines is they force you to lift a certain way and it might not be right for your build. Using free weights allows your body to move in it's natural motions plus learn how to handle the weights.
I've seen people lift a certain weight on a track or machine and when they grab free weights they can't handle the same weight and are very uncoordinated, sometimes dropping the weights-dangerous to all.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I lift things up and put them down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g
Some of their commercials are pretty funny. But think about it, it's negative stereotyping and I've never met anyone remotely like that. Kind of like stereotyping pretty women as airheads. I don't think serious lifters or pretty women appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness