Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,551,653 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal - as we age, our metabolisms slow down BUT, out appetites do not. I work out hard, 5 days a week, for at least an hour a day. I eat 3 meals a day, usually eggs/avocado for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch (whole grain bread, lots of veggies with some protein) and then for dinner, usually fish, chicken, occasional red meat, with veggies, maybe some rice. I eat very little sugar, occasional slice of pie or a little chocolate, I usually have a glass or two of wine with dinner. I've eaten the same way for 30 years. The only difference is, with age I'm now about 15 pounds overweight. I have tried numerous diets to lose that weight with minimal success. The problem is, I'm as hungry now as I was in my 20s so, the choice is really, feel hungry all the time or, accept that with advanced age, you're gonna gain weight. I'm going to gain weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,862,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Overconsumption is a clear issue. I think people also don't track their intake which can be shocking and eye opening in itself. Additionally people greatly over estimate how many calories they burn when they do exercise, 1 12oz Dr Pepper is about a mile of running to offset
I had an overweight friend, possibly even on the lower end of being obese, but she was a runner. She competed in 1/2 marathons. You would think she would've shed some pounds with all that running. But she loved her Dr. Pepper too. I worked with her and we would have our lunch together. Mine would be 1/2 a PB&J and a piece of fruit. Her's was a full deli sandwich, chips, and a 16 oz soda. It was like it never clicked for her.

I tried to bring up the issue as delicately as I could about how her running would get better if she ate better (no mention of less calories). Of course it fell on deaf ears. I am surprised she still has both of her knees.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Here's the deal - as we age, our metabolisms slow down BUT, out appetites do not. I work out hard, 5 days a week, for at least an hour a day. I eat 3 meals a day, usually eggs/avocado for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch (whole grain bread, lots of veggies with some protein) and then for dinner, usually fish, chicken, occasional red meat, with veggies, maybe some rice. I eat very little sugar, occasional slice of pie or a little chocolate, I usually have a glass or two of wine with dinner. I've eaten the same way for 30 years. The only difference is, with age I'm now about 15 pounds overweight. I have tried numerous diets to lose that weight with minimal success. The problem is, I'm as hungry now as I was in my 20s so, the choice is really, feel hungry all the time or, accept that with advanced age, you're gonna gain weight. I'm going to gain weight.
There is some truth to that. I don't eat anymore than I did in my 20's and 30's and exercise just as much if not more but I am heavier than I was back then. I can no longer maintain 114lbs. Truth be told I don't want to.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:35 AM

50,617 posts, read 47,460,002 times
We have a gym at work and out of 1500 employees maybe 15 use it. That's a problem. If you are going to eat a lot you better exercise a lot too. I'm the exact same weight I was in HS. It can be done with some work.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 AM

26,219 posts, read 21,742,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I had an overweight friend, possibly even on the lower end of being obese, but she was a runner. She competed in 1/2 marathons. You would think she would've shed some pounds with all that running. But she loved her Dr. Pepper too. I worked with her and we would have our lunch together. Mine would be 1/2 a PB&J and a piece of fruit. Her's was a full deli sandwich, chips, and a 16 oz soda. It was like it never clicked for her.

I tried to bring up the issue as delicately as I could about how her running would get better if she ate better (no mention of less calories). Of course it fell on deaf ears. I am surprised she still has both of her knees.
I don't burn much over 1500 calories during a half marathon and a far many 1/2 marathoners don't actually training much either so that's part of the problem, people think they should be in better shape because of the running you think they do but they probably don't actually do that much. Add on top of the amount of food casual half marathoners eat before race day and the weekend is often a net negative calorie wise

Old 08-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I don't burn much over 1500 calories during a half marathon and a far many 1/2 marathoners don't actually training much either so that's part of the problem, people think they should be in better shape because of the running you think they do but they probably don't actually do that much. Add on top of the amount of food casual half marathoners eat before race day and the weekend is often a net negative calorie wise
That is true. I know that she loved to 'carbo' load, which to her was a justifiable excuse to over eat carbs. But I did admire her ability to run distances. For me the max I got was 3 miles (the amount I needed to do a sprint triathlon). I just hated running so much, still do. Yet I was in incredible shape at the time. Just looking at us it was obvious who the fit one was.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM

18,569 posts, read 15,693,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Heres a few key ones

-Laziness
-large meal sizes
-unhealthy meal choices
-Reaching a point of no return
-Health issues preventing or limiting exercise
-Apathy to health and fitness

What are some more reasons?
-Eating for reasons other than being hungry
-Corn syrup or sugar being added to foods for no good reason
-Desk jobs/school set up to expect you to stay seated all day
-Genetics

Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM

23,393 posts, read 29,268,934 times
Depression could definitely be a factor, and throwing up your hands in trying so hard and achieving so little results.

I try hard to keep the weight down, but when I accidentally gain weight, there's a tendency to say: Oh shoot! I'll never lose this weight, and you dash for the freezer for a Magnum bar!

Some of it could be deliberate, abuse of Medicaid, now that obesity is labeled a disease. Eat yourself silly, eat stacks of cakes, and then you can't even get out of bed anymore or tie your shoes. Then? You might qualify for Medicaid!

Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM

50,617 posts, read 47,460,002 times
Quote:
If people would keep track of ALL they ingest they'd get an idea of how they are over eating. Hidden calories like cream in coffee, condiments like mayo and my favorite, beer. Now that most FF places list calories on their menus it's pretty easy to see that if people eat 3 big meals a day they are gonna be over weight unless their exercise routine matches or exceeds their intake.

Plus, people think going on slow walks burns a lot and in truth it really doesn't.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 AM

264 posts, read 251,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There's also a theory that distance running isn't the best option for weight loss because your body learns to burn calories more slowly to maintain energy for the distance. Have seen that weightlifting is better for weight loss. (I don't know the details--just throwing it out there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness