Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:59 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times

Advertisements

How damaging are cheat days. Before I started being conscious about what I put in my body let's say me and chinese buffets were best friends. I can't fathom to think the calories I consumed. Probably 2,000-3,000 in one sitting.

My question is how bad are cheat days? Can I go off the rocker for one day a week? Say instead of a 2,000/calorie day it's 4,000-5,000 calories.

I know most people go off of calories/day but does it make a difference if it's calories/week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
I try to avoid the buffet anymore. We have a good one nearby. When I do hit it, I try to go slow, avoid the deeply rich, deep fried, oily stuff. Maybe get more sushi, vegetables, broiled fish. Avoid dessert. Maybe sample more. Lots of water to fill up. Salads, too.

When I know that I'm headed there, I hold back on breakfast, and expect to workout heavily the following day or that morning (longer run , usually).I'm pretty superficial, judgemental as I look at how large the majority of customers are as motivation to restrain myself.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
One day a week don't do anything.. I've always had at least one 'cheat day' a week where I eat thousands of calories and nothing happens.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I wholedheartedly endorse cheat days. I wouldn't have lost over 70lbs without them. They've kept me sane. I have one cheat day per week, where I eat whatever and don't track. I probably consume 2500-4000 calories, easily. I used to have two such days but had to trim it down to 1 in order to continue losing. I'm a 41 year old female, so things might be different for you. I have not gained a pound and in fact lost weight with the cheat day(s).

I firmly believe in calorie management. I've found that weight loss/gain is determined by what you do over time and your average intake vs. what you do in a single day. I usually eat 1400-1600 calories the other days of the week. I also work out pretty vigorously four days per week, which burns calories. Cheat days may not be as effective if you don't work out. Also, you have to be a pretty good tracker when it comes to intake throughout the other days of the week. It's all a balancing act and "Forgotten calories" can easily add up and mess things up.

If I ate healthy all of the time, I'd probably end up regaining all of the lost weight. Thankfully I finally figured out how my body really works. The cheat day is purely a mental thing, though the extra food provides great fuel for workouts.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:14 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
I do work out 3 days a week. Just some running and weights. I don't overly exert myself. Probably 30-45 minutes a session. And then 20 minute HIIT workout on Friday.

But I've found out the only real way to lose weight/fat is to lower caloric intake.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I do work out 3 days a week. Just some running and weights. I don't overly exert myself. Probably 30-45 minutes a session. And then 20 minute HIIT workout on Friday.

But I've found out the only real way to lose weight/fat is to lower caloric intake.
That's really the only way. Working out, however, factors into the "calories in/out" equation. You are expending energy. The best judge is how your body reacts over time to the cheat day. If you find that you are gaining (any gain the day after doesn't really count bc that's water/waste not fat) then dial back the calories on the cheat day OR eat less throughout the week to adjust.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
How damaging are cheat days. Before I started being conscious about what I put in my body let's say me and chinese buffets were best friends. I can't fathom to think the calories I consumed. Probably 2,000-3,000 in one sitting.

My question is how bad are cheat days? Can I go off the rocker for one day a week? Say instead of a 2,000/calorie day it's 4,000-5,000 calories.

I know most people go off of calories/day but does it make a difference if it's calories/week?
3500 excess cals week is 1 lb gained (ie over indulging in a buffet) even if you eat it all in one sitting.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
3500 excess cals week is 1 lb gained (ie over indulging in a buffet) even if you eat it all in one sitting.
Yes, but if you are working out and/or eating at a deficit the other days, it can balance out. You have to manipulate the numbers, but it can be done. It's not for everyone and requires vigilance during the other days of the week. When it comes down to it, it's calories consumed vs. calories expended over time. One day of eating 3500 is not going to immediately go onto your hips as fat.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:46 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:

If you cheat, you do need to count those calories in with the rest of what you eat that day. I look at cheat foods as "instead of" rather than "in addition to" the normally healthier diet I am eating on a given day. That way I'm not ruining the good work I've done already that week.

But hey... if you want to gain a whole pound or more in one sitting, be my guest.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:18 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
It depends on what you cheat with.

Cheating at a Chinese buffet can destroy an progress you've made. Even sauteed veggies are loaded with salt, bad fat, msg, etc.

Cheating with black bean turkey chili topped with Greek yogurt is a much better cheat.

Cheating with dark chocolate covered almonds is a good cheat.

Wisely pick your cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness