Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:04 AM

64 posts, read 49,834 times

Advertisements

I want to know if this is true about these exercising machines. I went to physical therapy for knee problems and the leg extension machine where I sat down I was taught to use to help. Now I am reading for the first time ever that people should never use this machine and it wear down cartilage. Is this true about the seated leg extension machine and are there other kinds of leg extension machines? I don't know why this was used in physical therapy if it can cause more wear down on cartilage. What exercises are good for the knees and HOW do I stop knee popping??? I tried even ice and it always comes back. What exercise machines can replace these and still help the knees?

"2. The Machine: Seated Leg Extension
Since the weight is placed so close to your ankles, the machine puts undue torque on the knee joint, which can wear down cartilage and cause knee pain, Gaddour says. Plus, the common gym contraption is built around a motion that has little real-life benefit."

Also I remember being told that exercise on the hips can be beneficial for the knees and hip exercises (not this specific one) were done in therapy but at my gym they don't have the same machine so this is the only one I found. I've only been doing this for a week and now after reading this I stopped especially since I have back problems.

"4. The Machine: Hip Abductor/Adductor
If it looks ridiculous, it probably is, Gaddour says. And squeezing your thighs together — or pushing them apart — over and over definitely counts. Besides actually working very few muscles, it also strains the spine and can make the IT band so tight it pulls your knee cap out of place — not a good look for anybody."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 11:18 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,195,971 times
Yes, that sounds accurate to me.

In my opinion, the optimal way to work out your legs is with some form of knee-dominant exercise like squatting and a hip-dominant exercise like deadlifts or kettlebell swings. Those two exercises will sufficiently work your legs.

Also, be aware that there are many different forms of squatting. You can do goblet squats, front squats, and back squats for example. Research all of them.

If you have knee problems, I would suggest getting a Functional Movement Screen (FMS) by a certified professional (https://www.functionalmovement.com/) to identify any imbalances, get advice on creating a program, intended to correct these imbalances.

Go here to see why this is important: https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/i...ovement-screen

I would also consider a combination of prolotherapy and perineural injection therapy for your knee if you want it restored to full health; however, it is imperative that you correct imbalances or your problems will only return.

I would also suggest adding in some mobility and flexibility training.

Last edited by Jobster; 08-22-2017 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 12:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,510,433 times
Sat through a knee lecture yesterday by a PT. Asked him about those leg extension machines. He was really noncommittal. Thought he'd recommend against using them. Only said improper use/set up could injure.

Said variety in physical fitness activities was the way to go. Kind of discouraged my every other day running.....find other activities and mix things up.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:19 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,195,971 times
OP, just think about your natural movement patterns. When do you ever use your leg to push something like in a leg extension?

You wouldn't right? You would use the sole of your foot if you were using your leg to push something.

The same can be said for the hamstring machine. Under what condition would you move your leg like that?

Old 08-22-2017, 12:23 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,740,295 times
Why You Should Never Do This Exercise | STACK

Exercises and Gym Machines to Skip | Shape Magazine

Old 08-22-2017, 12:36 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,510,433 times
I've left using most of the machines in my fitness center. I've moved to barbells, dumbbells, resistance bands, body weight movements.

Gotta stop those deep knee bends/lunges though, can't see that helping too much.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:23 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
Well I have knee problems so I can't squat. Squatting is very unpleasant for me so I don't do it at all. Lunges were ok for a time before they too taxed my knees. leg extension/leg press are my options.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:06 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,441,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostSpot View Post
Machines to Avoid? What exercise machines can replace these and still help the knees?

"2. The Machine: Seated Leg Extension

"4. The Machine: Hip Abductor/Adductor
I agree. These two machines should be avoided. ESPECIALLY the Hip abductor/adductor which always seems to be the favorite of every newbie fat woman at the gym. That is, until they learn better then avoid it altogether in favor of the squat rack.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 PM

876 posts, read 815,879 times
One of the few times I tore muscles in my upper back was with the Nautilus "Pullover" machine. On those you sit with your elbows pointed up, arms bent behind your head. Then you pull down with your elbows until they are parallel with your body.

Nautilus has a lot of great equipment so this isn't a knock on them, and I may have had too much weight on the stack.

But pullover machines should be used with caution, because you could be in for a painful back muscle tear. It's like having someone put a knuckle into your back as hard they can all day. Fun.

Last edited by A1eutian; 08-22-2017 at 11:06 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 06:47 AM

9,446 posts, read 8,422,481 times
I would agree about the hip adductor/abductor machines. I recently tried these and within a few weeks I started having issues with a pulled groin. No more!

Another machine to avoid is the ab pulldown machine that every gym has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness