Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:11 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I like the sign spotted in the left field bleachers in SF when Barry Bonds was chasing the HR record:

Hey Barry! The Babe did it on hot dogs & beer!

And Mantle did it with Jack Daniels and on one leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Back to the original topic, what new generation of steroids? Names would be handy.

You tell me. When I was gym rattin' the only thing the guys were talking about was Dianabol. I assume that since 1970 a new generation has arisen, no?

Old 08-27-2017, 10:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
So money is more important than your sex life.
You betcha.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Hey Barry! The Babe did it on hot dogs & beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
And Mantle did it with Jack Daniels and on one leg.

Should have said that the real HR King, "Bad Henry," did it at 170 lbs. dripping wet. Yeah, he had Popeye's forearms but they came natural like.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You betcha.
How sad.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
You tell me. When I was gym rattin' the only thing the guys were talking about was Dianabol. I assume that since 1970 a new generation has arisen, no?
Yes and no.

It is my understanding that by and large, they haven't made great strides in making them more effective; no need to.

They have made strides in making them harder to detect.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
How sad.
I'm touched.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:21 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yes and no.

It is my understanding that by and large, they haven't made great strides in making them more effective; no need to.

They have made strides in making them harder to detect.
It's admittedly not my area of expertise. I also kind of doubt that average Joe buying steroids in the gym locker room is actually taking the new generation of anabolic steroids. Professional athletes, yes. Guy buying stuff in the locker room, I kind of doubt it. There's a lot more money in juicing professional athletes and most of the money is contingent on it not being detectable. I doubt it's making its way downstream to mainstream usage as the cash cow is in professional sports.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
I've never used steroids so I have no first hand opinions. I have considered it in the past and did a lot of research including talking to a lot of people who do and have used them for 10-20+ years, listening to guys like Dorian Yates who's very open about exactly what he used and how much and generally being open minded about research from both ends of the equation. And I don't really see how you can prove that there are any long term negative effects. Everyone points to Lyle Alzado and now Piana but what about the millions of other people that have used them regularly for decades? I'm sure 70% of pro athletes and olympic athletes have used something and 100% of pro bodybuilders, strongman, powerlifters etc. Bigger, Stronger, Faster asked question of where are all the bodies if it's so bad for people? And of course the most publicized guys that have died are people that are doing all kinds of damage to their body. Alzado died of brain cancer and there still have been no links that show steroid use played any part of in that. Piana probably walked around at 300+ plus and had to eat a tremendous amount of calories, did minimal cardio exercise because that hurts your gains if you're a body builder and all of that stuff alone takes a toll on your heart with or without steroids. There are certain steroids that raise blood pressure so maybe that came into play but nobody knows what else he was doing or what other drugs he was taking for recreation or anything else.

Personally I decided against using any steroids because of the fact that it seemed that most of what you get is coming from black market home chemists and is equivalent to meth or bathtub gin in safety because it's not regulated and made by people that may or may not have chemist/drug manufacturing experience. If i was able to get stuff that I know was made by pharma companies and lab tested etc and I knew exactly what I was getting I'd reconsider.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They aren't any safer. Actually, in a vaccum, they were never that dangerous. Steroids, while relatively recent in baseball (due to the misguided notion that weight training would screw up "timing" for batters, have been used for 50 years by other athletes where extreme bulk isn't an advantage. Cyclists, runners, swimmers...you never really hear about ill effects in their population despite their being used for decades.

Bodybuilding (in the Rich Plana sense of the world) isn't a healthy endeavor. Steroids play a role as to why, but aren't the only cause. A few points: these guys eat like crazy, workout like crazy, take insulin and other stuff as part of their stack, walk around at 300+ lbs, then take diuretics and whatnot to achieve the shredded vascular look for the show.

Gynocemastia (******* t!ts) and acne are still there.

None of these guys look great 365 days a year, they're like anyone else, and they don't put the pictures of gristly skin on instagram. Also, there are things they'll take to clear acne up, and they watch their diets, some of them have good genes or whatever and don't deal with it as much. They'll take accutane in a pinch to clear it up.

Gynecomastia can be handled by a handful of estrogen receptor inhibitors (arimidex, 4-androstenedione, nolvadex.)

And yes, lots of them keep close tabs on things with the help of a doctor, either an anti aging doctor or endocrinologist.
Should have read your reply before I posted mine

The insulin and diuretics are things that can actually kill you immediately. I still have never heard of someone dying from a steroid OD but you take too much insulin and you go into a coma and die (which just happens to be exactly what happened to Rich)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness