Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times

Advertisements

From time to time my back will get sore. I find too much time sitting makes it worse. But I figure my back would be in worse shape if I never lifted weights and did cardio. Never had to take a sick day for a sore back thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 04:42 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just interested View Post
About 6 months ago I woke up with a bad back. It has been painful ever since. The doctor gave me lots of different excercises to do which I have done nearly every day. No impact, my back is still as sore as ever. I have gone to a variety of doctors and they all tell me that my pain will go away with the right excercise. So far, their advice is wrong.

Anyone here with a bad back cure it with excercise? Tell us about it!
I used to have my lower back pain, knees pain and wrists pain. I know doctors always advise patients to exercise to heal this or that. I did not even go to my doctor to get advice, but I just learned to do it myself.

I did some research on the internet what kind of exercise equipment I would like to work with. I found this Gazelle Glider which seemed a good fit for me because I did not like to run, just liked to walk. With this glider, I can walk in the air and move my arms like doing skiing. I bought it at my neighbor's garage sale for $15.00. After exercising with this machine every day or every second day for 20 - 30 minutes for about two weeks, I noticed my back was not in pain, unless I thought hard to feel the pain, then I might feel it, but very little. LOL. That meant there was no pain. I still have pain on my knees and wrists, but that's the arthritis. But when I exercise regularly, I do feel less pain on them.

With this glider, I can walk on it, or put two feet parallel with each other and just move back and forth, or put a rectangle piece of plywood on the two foot paddles and I stand sideways and swing left and right. Each time I exercise, I do all three movements: walking, moving back and forth, and left and right. And another good thing is it helps me to lose weight. I don't have a belly. When doing the exercise, I can listen to music or watch TV or movies at the same time. This is the best exercise equipment I've ever had. I am so happy with it.

Here is a web site you can look at the machine: Gazelle Edge® | Gazelle Glider

There are many youtubes showing how to exercise with this glider.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:00 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
When I cycled much more than I do now- on a road bike with drop bars, I used to get back pain sometimes. I had read that, for some reason, strengthening the abdominal muscles would help. I did and it did.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:22 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
can't comment about back pain but exercise has enabled me to be pain-med free for over a year. I have moderate to severe OA.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:54 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
yoga, chiropractor, physical therapist and eat foods that reduce inflammation. drink a lot of water.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just interested View Post
About 6 months ago I woke up with a bad back. It has been painful ever since. The doctor gave me lots of different excercises to do which I have done nearly every day. No impact, my back is still as sore as ever. I have gone to a variety of doctors and they all tell me that my pain will go away with the right excercise. So far, their advice is wrong.

Anyone here with a bad back cure it with excercise? Tell us about it!
Severe mid-back pain. Would wake me up at night when I tried to roll over, and hurt so bad I could not breathe. Neck was also affected in that range of motion was limited. Age 38.

Chiropractor. Regularly. Experienced immediate relief and kept going over the years.

Today: Age 72. No back problems whatsoever. Gym twice a week and all the yard work I want to do. I still go to the chiropractor about 12 times a year. I do not wait until the back hurts; I know when I need to go.

How old are you? Look up the term Spondylolisthesis. See a neurologist to get a proper diagnosis. I was just lucky I took the right road. I do not have a Spondylolisthesis. My wife does. Planking helps her a lot!

Old 10-08-2017, 07:07 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Yes, I've "thrown " my back out on several occasions and have found that staying hydrated and doing slow stretching yoga type exercises will slowly get you muscles back to being limber. To this day I work out 3 days a week with the pulley machines at the gym with low weights to keep myself stretched out.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:41 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I cured mine by sleeping on my side instead of my stomach.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
My back goes out occasionally. Once that happens it needs rest to subside. And once the pain lessens, the pain actually begins to feel good (because it's no longer excruciating).

I had an old fashioned doctor tell me to walk 20 min/day to keep my back muscles strong to support my spine. I was very indignant but learned he was right. Keep those back muscles strong and healthy, but rest for strained muscles or bulging disc.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:00 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Low back pain which resulted in a medical discharge from the US Army. Orthopedic doc diagnosed degenerative disc disease. That was about 50 years ago. Began ab exercises, especially heavy on crunches. Also, sleeping on my side with knees drawn up in embryo position.

Now 73 years old with lots of aches and pains but not in the back. Whatever works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness