Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:37 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

I don't own a single gadget. You don't need one. I never pay attention to those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:25 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
You cannot outrun your fork.

Weight loss is more diet related than exercise related.
Home run post right here. Nailed it.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I have a tracker - I like it since it tracks my sleep! I also like to know about steps, but it isn't my primary measure. I still schedule in workouts.

It is also a nice little reminder that I have been sitting too long at work.

It is nice to see when I have epic days with over 20k steps.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:44 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I like gadgets and data but . . I'm not sure how accurate the Fitbit is. I have the Fitbit Blaze so that I can change out the watchbands to match my outfits and I like to track my steps.

When I workout ~ it SAYS it's tracking calories burned and heart rate - but I have no idea how accurate it is. It's fun to do the challenges with friends.

It's definitely NOT a 'must have' for weight loss. It's just fun.

It can make you realize how sedentary you are. For instance when I work from home - I barely get any steps in vs the office (rather large) where I do a lot more walking.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
My husband had wanted to buy a FitBit, but when I researched it, it is not very accurate, and for the cost I wanted something decent.

You can use an app on your phone, and it's good enough.

I'm not even sure how it would help, I mean if you are doing sooooo little exercise you need to count your steps at the grocery store then I would suspect other problmes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-27-2017, 06:11 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
As an above poster I've used garmin forerunners in various models and now I have a garmin fenix 5x and my wife has a fenix 5s. They are helpful in keeping track of daily steps, flights of stairs, intensity minutes and a host of other information. We do a lot of running so the watch isn't our fitness motivation itself but it helps improve where we are at

Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,259,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Speaking of these gadgets, I have a Fitbit Charge 2. I am considering upgrading to an Apple Watch 3 b/c it's waterproof and I can swim with it. But I don't swim every day. More like once a week. Do you guys think it's worth upgrading? How much better than a Fitbit is the Apple Watch? In terms of fitness functionality?
I’m thinking the same thing. Except the newest Fitbit (Ionic) is for swimming.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:09 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Speaking of these gadgets, I have a Fitbit Charge 2. I am considering upgrading to an Apple Watch 3 b/c it's waterproof and I can swim with it. But I don't swim every day. More like once a week. Do you guys think it's worth upgrading? How much better than a Fitbit is the Apple Watch? In terms of fitness functionality?
I have never had a fit bit that lasted more than about six months. I love my Apple Watch three but then again I use it for more than just a fitness tracker. I swim 2 to 3 times a week with it.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
If you don't want to track your heart rate, devices like the Misfit Ray track swimming (and no charging). The Ray has been the least flaky activity tracker I have had so far. And it is inexpensive and unobtrusive. If I recall you need a $5 app to track swimming, but it is waterproof.

Other Misfits have more watch like functionality. And track heart rate. Worth scanning their site.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
I Have the S2 Apple watch. It was mainly used when i was cycling over 100 mi a week. For this purpose it was pretty cool for the functionality of controlling my music. Quickly answering texts and phone calls while on my bike. It would also give me a count of miles rode and MPH at a quick glance. No that I run more than cycle I find I wear it less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness