Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 PM

227 posts, read 247,259 times

Advertisements

I’m at the point I MUST take exercising seriously. I’m doing whatever it takes to lose 30ish pounds ASAP. Are these type of watches a waste of money or should I consider buying one?

Also, what apps are great to use during my weight loss journey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 06:17 AM

625 posts, read 902,860 times
I had a polar and now have a fitbit to monitor track my daily exercise. I like to make sure I get in 10,000 steps per day. However, I don't think they are necessary. They're merely gadgets. Just focus on exercise and proper diet and you'll do fine. All the best.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Better ones (Garmin, Suunto, Polar) can be useful training aids, though really not that much better than a stopwatch and google maps.

I have had 3 generations of forerunners. They are fun and good at following training plans, but not necessary.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
All the technology in the world will not lose weight for you. Obviously you know that, but you can lose weight without any kind of gadget. In fact you could actually make buying one of these a goal, say after you lose 10 lbs. Goals are great motivators.

As far as apps go I think couch to 3k or something similar is a great motivator.

When you say you need to lose 30 pounds ASAP I have to ask why do you need to lose weight so fast? Trying to lose weight fast is basically a planned failure. The faster it goes off generally the faster it goes back on, and you end up heavier than when you started.
Shoot for 2 pounds a week, or around 4 months. If the holidays are too tempting for you, you may want to wait for the new year.

And of course the most important thing to know for weight loss is that fact that you cannot outrun your fork. In other words diet is 90% of the equation. You can exercise all day long every day and not lose an ounce if you are not burning more calories than you are eating.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:51 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
I went from the Apple Watch 1 to the Apple Watch 3 so I can use it swimming. I've found it's a huge motivational tool for me, hitting the exercise and calorie burn levels every day since mid-August. It was very eye opening to see how much I did not move during the day when I first got it. Every week now I bump up my calorie burn goal and I've pretty much doubled it (and lost over 15 pounds).

Old 11-22-2017, 05:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
a watch doesn't make you lose weight or even motivate you, it's just a tool

if you don't want one, it's a waste of money, if you want one, it isn't

nothing you can't do if you didn't have a watch in any case... never saw a watch do my walking for me or lifting or anything else

buy a mirror and a scale if you want an "app" to motivate you in losing weight

edit: the garmin watches are nice in that they give heartbeat/steps/distance/etc but they have an "intensity" minute setting too, not sure if others have it or not (I have no experience with others). Lets you know how often you hit your target heart rate for "best" work out, except this is a questionable measurement to me because I don't particularly care to track this. Others seem to like it so I mention it

Old 11-22-2017, 06:01 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
You cannot outrun your fork.

Weight loss is more diet related than exercise related.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
I had a polar and now have a fitbit to monitor track my daily exercise. I like to make sure I get in 10,000 steps per day. However, I don't think they are necessary. They're merely gadgets. Just focus on exercise and proper diet and you'll do fine. All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Better ones (Garmin, Suunto, Polar) can be useful training aids, though really not that much better than a stopwatch and google maps.

I have had 3 generations of forerunners. They are fun and good at following training plans, but not necessary.
My thoughts exactly. I use the YMCA and just knowing that I go at the best time and am able to do what I need to do without too many obstacles. That's enough motivation for me, no crowds.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
I’m at the point I MUST take exercising seriously. I’m doing whatever it takes to lose 30ish pounds ASAP. Are these type of watches a waste of money or should I consider buying one?

Also, what apps are great to use during my weight loss journey?
If you are in such dire straits and need to "MUST take exercising seriously", I dont think money spent on a apple watch or fitbit is the right thing for you to do at this time. If you already have an iPhone there are HUNDREDS of really good apps you download for either FREE or less than $10.00. If you really do need to do "....whatever it takes to lose 30ish pounds ASAP" I suggest save your money for a gym membership and some initial private training/lessons or a couple of books on nutrition to study.

You'll find some really very very good apps in the app store for your phone. I am not a fan of the fitbit type products as they seem to only be marketed to the really fat/obese crown who are tricked into thinking "Oh, I am doing so well. My fitbit said I took 200 steps today..." which is a load of crap and not at all helping them to lose weight/get fit.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Speaking of these gadgets, I have a Fitbit Charge 2. I am considering upgrading to an Apple Watch 3 b/c it's waterproof and I can swim with it. But I don't swim every day. More like once a week. Do you guys think it's worth upgrading? How much better than a Fitbit is the Apple Watch? In terms of fitness functionality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness