Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:15 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times

Advertisements

I had a serious illness, followed by major surgery, followed by recovery and major illness. Overall ill and weak and so on.

FINALLY feeling better....except for the no exercise thing. It is killing me really. I want to get back in but my fitness level is squat at present.

Anyone else really feel "bad" in their body if they stop exercising?

PS: I don't have lofty goals. I do general exercise because I feel good when I do it regularly and if I do the sport I love I find it to be a pleasure hobby and not really "exercise".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Yoga... Try it, you can do it as easy or difficult as your body allows. They teach you to listen to your body. It also relaxes the mind. I'm a 64yo guy and go at least 3 times a week.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Start slowly, don't over do it. I've pulled soleus muscle and had bouts of gloom when it kept me from my fitness. I also think that fitness gives you a high that you become accustomed to and injuries keep you from getting that.

Getting back after injury gives one a new lease on life.

Yoga? I love it. Started about 3 months ago and try not to miss x3 sessions a week.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Is good to do some exercise whenever you can. Is good to do some exercise because it makes you feel good, at least I do, but sometime I am so occupy with all the things I have to take care of, so I just run whenever I get a chance, even without proper clothing.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Not in as bad shape as you were, but I have been sidelined due to bronchitis (or pneumonia...not sure which) and the lack of exercise is killing me mentally and physically. I'm feeling really down (combination of not working out, dreary cold weather, illness). I'm going to try and get back into the swing of things on Saturday. You just have to take each day at a time, slowly get back into it.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
I have been sidelined since late May and it is killing me. I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet and it is very painful. I did swim for awhile in the summer, but its just not the same. I know I could go and work out with weights, but this has effected me mentally as well so I guess I will go when I am ready. Luckily I have only gained 5 pounds, and I would have probably gained that anyway this time of year. I am eating a less than I used to, but during the summer right after this hit I was feeling sorry for myself and had 2 month affair with Ben and Jerry.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
A little bit of exercise is better than no exercise at all, so start small. Walking, inside or outside, is a good place to start if you're just getting back to it.

I recently missed 3 weeks of working out because I hurt my back and had some other things going on and I hated it. But the first time I spent 30 minutes on the (slow) treadmill felt pretty good.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:42 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
Yoga is a great idea. Tonight I had to work late which I didn't know so I feel even more bleh than usual. I'm going to walk a whole half mile I think LOL (a long loop to where my car is parked).

I really wanted to go swimming tonight but that didn't work out. I like will overdo it when I do go back. Ive been a serious swimmer for 35 years and am not ready for the extreme slowness and lack of stamina I surely will exhibit.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Yoga is a great idea. Tonight I had to work late which I didn't know so I feel even more bleh than usual. I'm going to walk a whole half mile I think LOL (a long loop to where my car is parked).

I really wanted to go swimming tonight but that didn't work out. I like will overdo it when I do go back. Ive been a serious swimmer for 35 years and am not ready for the extreme slowness and lack of stamina I surely will exhibit.
Can you potentially do water aerobics to build up some stamina and at least get in the pool?

Old 12-08-2017, 06:07 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I go through a mild form of withdrawal when I got more than 2 days without working out. I get irritable and I don't feel like I digest food properly and even get headaches. I'm hooked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness