Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 AM

652 posts, read 1,269,578 times

Advertisements

thanks NewJersey?

When compound exercises is used which one is more important where the other muscles are working: Synergist? Dynamic Stabilizers? or Stabilizers?

here is an example:

Lever Triceps Dip

Instructions
Preparation

Sit on seat with back against pad. If possible, place handles in the narrow position. Grasp handles.
Execution

Push levers down with elbows close to body. Return until shoulders are slightly stretched. Repeat.
Comments
Also see Lever Chest Dip. Classification
Utility: Basic
Mechanics: Compound
Force: Push

Muscles
Target
Triceps Brachii

Synergists
Deltoid, Anterior
Pectoralis Major, Sternal
Pectoralis Major, Clavicular
Pectoralis Minor
Rhomboids
Levator Scapulae
Latissimus Dorsi

Dynamic Stabilizers
Biceps Brachii

Stabilizers
Trapezius, Lower
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 AM

622 posts, read 3,107,653 times
I would guess synergistic, but they are all 'important'. Not sure what you're trying to find out. I would agree with Nike on this one and use the "Just do it" approach. lol

Also, I've never heard the term 'stabilizers' and machines in the same sentence. Machines are notoriously 'bad' for developing the stabilizer muscles. That's why people generally recommend free weights. Not that machines are bad, but that is one of their drawbacks.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:06 AM

652 posts, read 1,269,578 times
Default re

I am trying to find out this:

let's say the example below, I want to work on my triceps and deltoid at the same time but the sapmle below says Target: Tricep and Synergist: none Stabilizers: Deltoid. So this means this exercise only works on my tricep?
I had some muscle movement classification see below but to me it's chinese, so maybe you guys read it and can interpret it for me which one is important when it comes to working on two different muscles. I know target is important but which one is the other important one that I need to consider when I want to do compound to work on different muscles at the same time according the sample below? ( I have this website where they show me excercises and correct movements etc so I am trying to choose the right compound excercises. I don't just want to do it and find out later that this particular excercise only works on one muscle.)

Muscle Movement Classification

Agonist
A muscle that causes motion.

Antagonist
A muscle that can move the joint opposite to the movement produced by the agonist.

Target
The primary muscle intended for exercise.

Synergist
A muscle that assists another muscle to accomplish a movement.

Stabilizer
A muscle that contracts with no significant movement to maintain a posture or fixate a joint.

Dynamic Stabilizer
A biarticulate muscle that simultaneously shortens at the target joint and lengthens at the adjacent joint with no appreciable difference in length. Dynamic stabilization occurs during many compound movements. The dynamic stabilizer assists in joint stabilization by countering the rotator force of an agonist. See example diagram: Hamstring weakness (during squat or leg press)

Antagonist Stabilizer
A muscle that contracts to maintain the tension potential of a biarticulate muscle at the adjacent joint. The antagonist stabilizer may be contracted throughout or at only one extreme of the movement. Also see active insufficiency. The Antagonist Stabilizer are activated during many isolated exercises when biarticulate muscles are utilized. The Antagonist Stabilizer may assist in joint stabilization by countering the rotator force of an agonist. For example, the Rectus Femoris contracts during lying leg curl to counter dislocating forces of Hamstrings. See knee flexion abduction force vector diagram (Rectus Femoris and Tibialis Anterior).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparation

Sit on seat. Push foot lever down with foot and grasp lever handle from behind. Place both feet on floor with lever handle behind neck.
Execution

Push lever handle up overhead until arm is fully extended. Return and repeat.
Comments
None. Classification
Utility: Basic or Auxiliary
Mechanics: Isolated
Force: Push

Muscles
Target
Triceps Brachii

Synergists
None
Stabilizers

Deltoid, Anterior
Wrist Flexors

Last edited by katalin; 10-24-2008 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 PM

622 posts, read 3,107,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
I am trying to find out this:

let's say the example below, I want to work on my triceps and deltoid at the same time but the sapmle below says Target: Tricep and Synergist: none Stabilizers: Deltoid. So this means this exercise only works on my tricep?

You would want "Synergistic".

The above example you mentioned would not really help other muscle groups because the targeted muscle (triceps) is a small muscle itself. A good example of synergistic/multi-joint exercises would be NOT a triceps pushdowns, but a bech press or in this case with the triceps being inviolved, Close Grip Bench press or dips. Those two exercises would incorporate the chest shoulders AND triceps together in one movement. They would also allow for a lot more weight to be used as opposed to a tricep pushdown where only the triceps is being worked.

You may need one or two training sessions with a trainer just to get you on the good exercises, then I'm sure you can do it on your own. You just need a little guidance with the proper exercises for each bodypart to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness