Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 03:44 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There isn't really any correlation between physical strength and punching power. If anything, big muscles reduce velocity and by extension punching power, or at least they do according to old school trainers. There's minimal weightlifting in boxing anyway since muscle is very expensive from a oxygen/calorie perspective.
I actually agree with you here. Strength doesn't hurt but punching power is more technique than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 04:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There isn't really any correlation between physical strength and punching power. If anything, big muscles reduce velocity and by extension punching power, or at least they do according to old school trainers. There's minimal weightlifting in boxing anyway since muscle is very expensive from a oxygen/calorie perspective.
No doubt technique reigns supreme when it some to punching power, but make no mistake about it, strength plays a role as well. There are weight classes for a reason.

There is a lot of weightlifting in boxing, I do not get where you think there is not. Many boxing gyms have a lifting area or group discount with a gym for its members to lift.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:09 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I actually agree with you here. Strength doesn't hurt but punching power is more technique than anything else.
Punching power is still sort of a mystery in the sport of boxing. Sure, we all understand F=ma and the kinetic chain and all of that, but some guys simply have it and others don't. It's almost the same way some pitchers have the heat while others don't. I'm not sure if anyone has ever broken down the physics of why some pitchers can throw 100+ while others top in the high 80s.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Sounds like you have some real issues with balance and flexibility. I've done that same exercise in my thai boxing class warm ups. It's easy.
Sounds like U have issues w/trolling.
And fabricating.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
You talk real hard. You say you box, right? I want to see you hitting the bag, so I can see how hard you really are. You talk real big game, so I expect a monster.
I'm sorry, but how did we go from weight training to boxing? In case you weren't aware, those are two different activities. Why don't you show us how hard you can hit since you brought it up?

Old 01-25-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Sounds like U have issues w/trolling.
And fabricating.
Fabricating? Fabricating what?

Old 01-25-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No doubt technique reigns supreme when it some to punching power, but make no mistake about it, strength plays a role as well. There are weight classes for a reason.

There is a lot of weightlifting in boxing, I do not get where you think there is not. Many boxing gyms have a lifting area or group discount with a gym for its members to lift.
There is NOT a lot of weightlifting in boxing. It's not a big part of the training regimen at either the amateur or professional level.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:23 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
N

Actually, there isnt. There is strength training but not so much weight lifting because lifting weights hinders speed. Boxers do a LOT more bodyweight strength training than actual weight lifting.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Actually, there isnt. There is strength training but not so much weight lifting because lifting weights hinders speed. Boxers do a LOT more bodyweight strength training than actual weight lifting.
This is correct. I challenge someone to find a video of any professional boxer doing a full blown Michael Jordan-like weight training regimen.

Most boxers are trying to cut weight anyway. Canelo Alvarez isn't walking around at 160 lbs. These guys are trying to lean out and prepare their cardiovascular system for 12 rounds of boxing. The demands of the sport are more similar to distance running than they are to football.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Interesting that you say this. You're addressing a heavy lifter who told other people what they should be doing.

By the way, I don't put down heavy lifting. Even do some myself. I just feel that it's best to respect others' choices about the way they choose to stay fit.

I'm 62 years old, and do a variety of exercises. Years ago I got bored with doing the same few iron-pumping exercises with some running mixed in. I now have thought through a plan for a much more all-around kind of fitness.

And that does include lifts with heavy weight (heavy for me at least, which will never be as much as Northside (J'ville) and Southside (Chi) most likely lift, because my fundamental build is somewhat skinny and long-limbed--middle distance runner on the track team in high school). I even include squats and deads in the mix.
There's a lot more to physical fitness than doing heavy compound lifts. It's just something that I personally find challenging. I do other types of exercise as well, like cycling, thai boxing, body weight exercises and other marital arts.

It's funny, because when I first started lifting weights people around here were calling me weak for my size. Now, they say that I'm headed for injury because I lift too heavy. Anyway, it sounds like you do a good mix of exercises that work for you. That's what's important. My routines aren't for everyone and that's ok with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
You're right. You can get fit with body weight. You can also enhance your health.

Again you're right when you point out that working with body weight won't develop the strength you'll get from pumping heavy iron. If that level of strength is not someone's goal, I say that's fine. How about an open mind and a little respect for other people's choices.
I do respect other peoples choices. It just seems like some don't respect mine. That's why I may come off as defensive at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness