Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 10:22 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

Absolutely. My 17 year old nephew is on 2 Varsity high school teams, Cross country and Nordic skiing, so he is always in the gym. He got his picture in the local paper because he is one of a group of folks who have made a tradition of going to the gym on Christmas Day. He's on the left in the Syracuse shirt:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...ard-christmas/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

On campus at UCLA, you'll see almost every gal with very good to very great bodies, but they all say its just from running or yoga. Very few actually go to the gym for resistance training.
When it comes to young women, most do not have to do any resistance training to LOOK good. Youth, yoga, cardio, and sports is more than enough for them to have stunning bodies.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:24 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post

It's funny, because when I first started lifting weights people around here were calling me weak for my size. Now, they say that I'm headed for injury because I lift too heavy.
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? How long have you been lifting? I've noticed over the years that the guys around my age who've been lifting around the same time as me a lot of them complain about aches and pains and not being able to lift as heavy as when they were younger. I mean we are all in better shape than we would be if we aren't lifting but it gets a lot harder as our bodies are getting worn down by age.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
In Chicago they do.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM

197 posts, read 229,338 times
I'm definitely a Millennial and the only working out I do is running. Of course, running is free (excluding the cost of running shoes and weather-appropriate workout clothes) and pretty easy to do so it's no wonder why people who might be frugal like to run. If your local neighborhood isn't the best for running you'll need add the cost of gas to drive to somewhere more suitable. I like to go a little bit further than most as I also use my runs as an opportunity to check out the scenery in the parks and/or neighborhoods where I run; 5-6 miles is pretty typical for me (though walking takes up part of the distance for cool-downs and breaks).

Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
When it comes to young women, most do not have to do any resistance training to LOOK good. Youth, yoga, cardio, and sports is more than enough for them to have stunning bodies.
Most of them would look better if they added some squats or deadlifts to their routines . Not everyone is blessed with a female Jamaican sprinters backside, but a little work can at least improve upon the pancake.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:12 AM

43 posts, read 27,832 times
Of course they do. Texting and taking selfies burns a lot of calories

Old 01-28-2018, 03:41 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
I'm a millennial and I go to the gym. I also run outside a couple times a week (I refuse to do the dreadmill) and I do a yoga routine 4-5 times a week. I also like to hike and boulder (when I lived back out west). I think a "all of the above" approach to fitness is the best.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Yes, they absolutely do. I expect Gen Z, the age cohort currently turning 18-22 or so to start going as well.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:12 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Only good thing about the smartphone addiction in the gyms is less people trying to play the coach or bugging others. Text and selfie away!! I got to get this workout in, get some sleep, and then back to work!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness