Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:11 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

On campus at UCLA, you'll see almost every gal with very good to very great bodies, but they all say its just from running or yoga. Very few actually go to the gym for resistance training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Spoken like a lazy person. Bodyweight exercises don't give you the same strength benefits as using weights does. It's easy to do bodyweight exercises because you don't have to push yourself. You can do mediocre intensity and be done with it. Yoga is girly to me.
LOL, I don't do Yoga and I work out at the gym five days a week (although maybe I should, I could use the flexibility in my middle aged body). I was answering the OP's quote above. My guess is a lot of 20-something women WANT to to have "girly" bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 04:42 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Spoken like a lazy person. Bodyweight exercises don't give you the same strength benefits as using weights does. It's easy to do bodyweight exercises because you don't have to push yourself. You can do mediocre intensity and be done with it. Yoga is girly to me.

I'm a runner myself simple put, I enjoy it! I know a few who do yoga and they're in amazing shape and fit! The key is do something you love and enjoy, so you'll do it! ~~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxztKrxxDlk

Old 01-22-2018, 04:48 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
My son is a millennial; swam in HS and part of college and now he runs. He does not like going to the gym - unless he comes home and he likes going to my boutique gym for classes.

The trainer also trained him as a high school athlete and he enjoys the people that work out there. It's all good natured competition and encouragement.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:48 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I know that for universities, having up-to-date fitness centers on campus is a huge selling point and it's what students (who are young millennials) expect.
Yep. When I was 18-22 I had access to the university gym for free. It had top notch everything. Plus, I had access to an indoor climbing wall. That was way back in the 90s. University facilities are probably even fancier now.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Honestly, women work out with weights and its disgusting and horrible, women don't work out with weights and its disgusting and horrible. I'm glad women (as far as I can see) don't pay much attention to how much attention is being paid to them online and just do their thing. My gym definitely skews Millenial and a few of them can Deadlift 135lbs for reps. One or two can Bench close to that. But who cares how they get those bodies? Isn't it enough that they do?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:36 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Post a picture of you doing an iron cross.

Think about what you just said.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:56 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
This is precisely the attitude I got when I went to the gym. And precisely the reason why I quit it soon after.
You can get really strong using bodyweight. It's about leverage, but it's also about technique, especially by using tension. I'd say the only weakness with training primarily bodyweight is that there isn't a lift that involves the entire body. You could solve this by doing goblet squats when doing squats, so it involves both your upper and lower body.

Of course the fastest way to get strong is with barbells, but there are always tradeoffs with everything. I wouldn't worry about what other people have to say.

They will find out what works eventually, and you will often find that their philosophy on exercise changes throughout time.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:59 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
This is precisely the attitude I got when I went to the gym. And precisely the reason why I quit it soon after.
You go to the gym for yourself - not for other people.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:18 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
You go to the gym for yourself - not for other people.
Precisely. But there are those loudmouth's that just can't help themselves from helping other people. Nothing like trying to workout and do your own thing and have some youngster telling my old self how to do such and such for that Seal Team Six body of his.
I'm just in here trying to blow off some steam, get slim and listen to my music and ghost stories while I do so. I'll consult a YT video and pictorials.

I don't know. I'm more yearning of a healthy, average body type. These IG pics that come across my feed with muscle-bound guys wearing plate carriers and such just isn't my goal.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
It really doesn't take a lot for 18-22 yo young women to stay in shape as long as they don't gain a lot of weight. Just walking to campus and around to classes was all I needed to stay slim and in shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness