Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 AM

481 posts, read 422,380 times

Advertisements

I've always been curious about this. I've seen people on boxing forums say their training is just relentless cardio, while others say its strength with some cardio sprinkled in on top.

What is the ideal combat build here, based on sports like MMA/boxing/etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,253 times

Old 02-01-2018, 10:11 AM

481 posts, read 422,380 times
u know combat sports

show me da way

Old 02-01-2018, 11:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
I used to workout at an MMA gym here in Albuquerque and did some BJJ training. I would say that most of the training was strength oriented, but a lot of high reps and functional movement based exercise including a lot of bodyweight exercises like burpees, hindu pushups, and handstands, plus kettlebells, and so forth. The squat rack was very popular. Lots of bagwork and rope, but there were no cardio machines in the gym. Some guys there I know did run or hike outside the gym, as did I.

That is only one gym, and some world class MMA fighters trained there, but I was only there for a few months as the typical injuries interfered with my work which required me to... not be injured a lot.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:04 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Are boxers/MMA/other fighters generally built on extreme cardio with some muscle on top? Ideal combat build?

I've always been curious about this. I've seen people on boxing forums say their training is just relentless cardio, while others say its strength with some cardio sprinkled in on top.

There is no real IDEAL combat build. Different methods of combat require different muscles which in turn requires different training methodologies in order to be successful. We recently saw this in action when boxer (Mayweather) fought MMA dude (MacGregor) and the boxer looked like he could have gone another 20 rounds while MMA guy was totally and completely gassed.

I think the closest I have seen to a true ideal would be Bruce Lee. But also remember, his training was for REAL fights, not sport, not a ring, not for the cameras, not for limitations on rules. He trained to be as STRONG as possible while being as LIGHT as possible so as not to hinder his SPEED. Speed kills.

But bottom line is, an "ideal" boxer's body will be different than the "ideal" MMA fighters body, which will be different than the "ideal" Escrima fighters body which will be different than the "ideal" striker's body which will be different than the "ideal" grappler's body, then also throw in differences for weight and you see there is no true single ideal. Plus add in the differences of sport (i.e., how many rounds, time of rounds, etc.) will also weigh in on the balance and synergy between cardio and strength. NOTE: I purposefully say STRENGTH instead of MUSCLE because muscle is a GREAT detriment to effective fighting.

For me, as a teacher/coach/Sensei/Sifu of 3 different martial arts, and a long time (up to early 20s) street fighter, I have found my prime or "ideal" is similar to Bruce's - which is to be as absolutely strong as possible but NOT at the expense of any speed/power.

Look at how badly gassed super "strong guy" Mario Pudzianski was against fat and out of shape Tim Sylvia. Big muscles are a no-no for a fighter. Only a few could pull off being successful with them (Ken Norton).

Old 02-01-2018, 03:34 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
There is no real IDEAL combat build. Different methods of combat require different muscles which in turn requires different training methodologies in order to be successful. We recently saw this in action when boxer (Mayweather) fought MMA dude (MacGregor) and the boxer looked like he could have gone another 20 rounds while MMA guy was totally and completely gassed.

I think the closest I have seen to a true ideal would be Bruce Lee. But also remember, his training was for REAL fights, not sport, not a ring, not for the cameras, not for limitations on rules. He trained to be as STRONG as possible while being as LIGHT as possible so as not to hinder his SPEED. Speed kills.

But bottom line is, an "ideal" boxer's body will be different than the "ideal" MMA fighters body, which will be different than the "ideal" Escrima fighters body which will be different than the "ideal" striker's body which will be different than the "ideal" grappler's body, then also throw in differences for weight and you see there is no true single ideal. Plus add in the differences of sport (i.e., how many rounds, time of rounds, etc.) will also weigh in on the balance and synergy between cardio and strength. NOTE: I purposefully say STRENGTH instead of MUSCLE because muscle is a GREAT detriment to effective fighting.

For me, as a teacher/coach/Sensei/Sifu of 3 different martial arts, and a long time (up to early 20s) street fighter, I have found my prime or "ideal" is similar to Bruce's - which is to be as absolutely strong as possible but NOT at the expense of any speed/power.

Look at how badly gassed super "strong guy" Mario Pudzianski was against fat and out of shape Tim Sylvia. Big muscles are a no-no for a fighter. Only a few could pull off being successful with them (Ken Norton).
You have to be juiced (like Pudzianski) to actually get to a point where you're "too big". I just don't think that's something naturals would have to worry about with regards to MMA.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:10 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,574,271 times
OK, here's the thing. No matter how big guy is. The bigger the worse though. The slower. One VERY strong VERY precise VERY FAST punch into VERY sensitive area will put him to sleep no matter what. Or kill. Truly, trained martial artists do not kill with hand or foot, they kill with energy.
So you want ideal build?
Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY_58aCNrhw

And here's your average MMA build guy vs SKILL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGpBk-JadQo

Last edited by ukrkoz; 02-01-2018 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 07:00 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,253 times
There isn't really a specific build necessarily. It partially depends on your build and your capabilities on what build is best to beat you. You'll know it when you see it. Maybe not right away, but if you get into enough fights, you'll eventually get to somebody that has skills that you didn't think they were capable of having, and with the right body type to effectively use those skills against you.

At that point, they will force you to adapt and hopefully you have the skills and/or abilities to overcome this. Either that or you're really good at learning on the job.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

How many fights was Bruce Lee in? What is his record?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:50 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post

Also, glad to see you back with yet ANOTHER different user name. Must be hard work having to create so many user names after being banned, then quickly posting everywhere just to get a posting "history". Impressive getting all those posts done in just a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness