Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 03:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

If the extra weight is impacting how she teaches the class that's one thing. How she appears is another. Grading an instructor, it's how she instructs really. If she's overweight but can still do planks, demonstrate proper form, lift then she's ok in my book. Fifty pounds overweight though surely would hamper her instruction.

It also depends on whether it's an endurance class or strength training. I would certainly take instruction from an overweight lifter. someone who is overweight can demonstrate exercises and there are many strong overweight people. there are portly lifters when they're not competing. football comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 03:25 PM

294 posts, read 293,222 times
The "not a good look" thing wouldn't affect me at all. The only thing that would matter to me would be if she knew how to lead the class. If so, I wouldn't care about how she looks. If not effective in leading the class, then I would go elsewhere. I wouldn't care how she looked.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:13 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer a teacher who walks their talk because it shows their method works... their body is the selling point. Blaming a wedding 8-yrs ago for being overweight now, isn't a valid excuse. Barring medical conditions, severe injuries and/or certain meds, overeating/inactivity causes weight gain & we all know it.

I've been working out with weights at home (15-lbs or less) with the help of vids & books, but am not doing well, given the mild injuries I keep manifesting. So, once settled (I'm in the process of relocating), I'll find a personal trainer to get me started on exercises to improve my form. I don't want a 50-lbs overweight instructor, who used to be in shape 8-yrs ago because I have no faith that his/her method will work for me... because their body shows it's not working for them. I'd prefer someone who is fit & happy with their workout results, which is the inspiration to stick with difficult workouts when I don't feel motivated.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:15 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Yes; I'd be less inclined!

What if I'm also someone who got married & gained 50lbs? I don't have all the time, money & energy in the world ... I've got a small bit of time & I want to see results.

If she has been instructing for 5 years & it's not working? I'm going to move on to something else.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:07 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
I wouldn't take shooting lessons from someone who can't hit the target, I wouldn't take financial advice from someone who is broke, I wouldn't take driving lessons from someone with a smashed up car, and I wouldn't take 'fitness' lessons/advice from someone who is overweight.

If you want to be successful in a particular endeavor, you take advice from people who are successful in that area. You want to take advice from someone who is already where you want to be. If you are taking advice from someone who is clearly not successful in the area, there are *two* fools in the room.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Do you think she doesn't know it?

Of course people are going to hold it against her especially if she can't do the routines.

But for the record, all the exercise in the world will not stop/fix a 50 lb weight gain. It's either from a medical condition/medication or just diet - just eating too much crap food.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:19 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It's a good question. I mean, even the best pro golfers in the world have instructors that couldn't come close to beating them in golf, but it's the knowledge they have and their teaching ability that get them the job. So while this person may be overweight it likely does not mean they don't have the knowledge and ability to motivate people to get into shape.
This is the case in many professional sports, as you literally CANNOT stay in "fighting shape" without actually being in training yourself - in particular, sports like gymnastics, figure skating, football, etc, require maintaining a body that only the current athletes themselves can safely achieve. I used to be a figure skater myself, and most of our coaches were WAY heavier than the skaters! One of mine was definitely chubby, and would stand on the ice in her fuzzy coat and (non-skating) boots, yelling out instructions. She was a good coach, though, and managed to guide me without even wearing her skates very often.

Not sure about a "fitness instructor," however - especially if they're actually participating in the class with the students. Hard to say.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:20 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I wouldn't take shooting lessons from someone who can't hit the target, I wouldn't take financial advice from someone who is broke, I wouldn't take driving lessons from someone with a smashed up car, and I wouldn't take 'fitness' lessons/advice from someone who is overweight.

If you want to be successful in a particular endeavor, you take advice from people who are successful in that area. You want to take advice from someone who is already where you want to be. If you are taking advice from someone who is clearly not successful in the area, there are *two* fools in the room.
Sooooo, if Steph Curry retired from basketball and gained 40lbs, you wouldn't trust him to teach you the game anymore?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:48 PM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't think that it would matter to me. Their knowledge/expertise is what I'm after. One of the most kick ass instructors at our gym is a bit overweight, though if someone is FIFTY POUNDS overweight, that hampers one's stamina I'd think, but that may not be the case if they're not a newb to the fitness world.
Depends, less of an issue for men as most of it is strength oriented anyway. I'm about 50 pounds lighter than I was at my heaviest and could lose another 10-20 pounds. It made absolutely no difference in my ability to lift weights. I was quite a bit stronger back then as I spent more time lifting weights than I do now.

Then again, since I used to play sports the idea of a fat coach is completely normal to me. Most of my coaches were either fat or overweight. Aside from a couple who were just morbidly obese it really didn't make a difference. Fitness instructors, however, are generally used by fat people with poor motivation. Their principle function is to provide inspiration rather be a source of knowledge. The actual knowledge is secondary as even if you're a complete beginner to working out you can pick up the basics in just a couple of sessions and then maybe only need to talk to a fitness instructor a few times a year if you need help planning a new regimen. That's not a fitness instructor's bread and butter. It's people with poor motivation who use them not for their knowledge but the forced accountability of regular sessions multiple times a week.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:16 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sooooo, if Steph Curry retired from basketball and gained 40lbs, you wouldn't trust him to teach you the game anymore?
We know who Steph Curry so his reputation is going to speak for itself. An overweight trainer is a different story. But again, reputation should come into play. Does this person have good references? Are they respected? Do they know what the heck they are doing? I will take an overweight trainer that has a great reputation, than a fit trainer that has not built a reputation yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness