Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
People can be so judgmental. F them. The double standards bug me sometimes. When I was overweight and ate huge portions at restaurants, I'd get chiding from my mom to not eat so much. Flash forward, I'm leaner now, I have my once weekly cheat meal at a restaurant, and eat an equally huge portion, and no one cares.
So true. It's every bit as unhealthy to be underweight. Goodness, some of these Victoria Secrets models have some horror stories about the extremes they'd go to in order to be "marketable." But that end of the weight spectrum is a socially acceptable unhealthy.

Good for you on your weight loss and reinventing your fitness. I guess that really allowed you to see what you've seen from multiple perspectives.

In other news I just noticed your location. I'd never even heard of Round Rock until this past week when I learned about a judo tournament taking place down there. I'll be heading that way in May!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 01:36 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Fat has become acceptable and even beautiful in America. Look at ads for clothing, in particular, Target. They feature obese people. I'm not talking about stocky, solid people, like Ashley Graham. I'm talking about people with rolls of fat. Even in Hollywood, fat is the new beautiful. Several movies and TV shows have celebrated genuinely obese people.

I consider fat to be a sign of laziness and it's definitely unhealthy. I don't want to see fat people shamed and bullied, but putting them on a pedestal is not right, either. These days it seems like the more freakish and weird you are, the more you are defended and even adored.
Well, uh, you failed. Unless you think assuming they're lazy, calling them "freakish," and making fun of their fat rolls is just "constructive criticism?"

And for the record, simply representing different body types isn't the same as "putting them on a pedestal." Fat people exist. Fat people wear clothing. They might be trying to lose weight, or they might not. The only thing that matters to clothing companies is, you know, SELLING CLOTHES. And no matter what size you are, it's helpful to see how it would look on YOU. How can someone who wears a size 14 know if an item will work on them, when it's only shown on size 0 models? So this is good marketing, plain and simple.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Good for you on your weight loss and reinventing your fitness. I guess that really allowed you to see what you've seen from multiple perspectives.
I've weighed as little as 130lbs and as much as 250lbs in my adult life, and boy does it give you an interesting perspective on things! When I was at the lowest weight (I'm somewhere in the middle now), I almost felt like an undercover operative... in a way it was great, because if a man who was interested in me said something nasty about fat women, I'd be like NEXT. They thought they were safe making such comments to a "thin" woman, but even if I knew I'd never gain back the weight, it showed me their true character. I don't care if a man prefers thinner women, but at least be respectful to those who aren't.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
yep, it's been a problem for awhile.....and no signs that it's going to get better. Perhaps an incentive.....BMI within normal gets you a tax cut. If you're overweight, you pay more taxes, and if you're obese (like POTUS0, you pay even more taxes.
That's a ridiculous suggestion. Should we then also give tax cuts to non-smokers? Or how about vegans, athletes, people with no family history of diseases, etc? And should we over-tax skinny people who eat like crap and don't exercise? They do exist, and can be just as unhealthy as a fat person. So that would be a slippery slope, to say the least.

Also, the BMI scale is mostly BS. Even doctors say that, and mine have told me it's barely even a good basic guideline - considering at one time I'd lost about 60lbs, had a clean bill of health, looked great, and STILL qualified as "obese" or at least "high-overweight" by that scale. It fails to consider body structure/type, among other things, thus creating unrealistic (and sometimes unhealthy) goals for people who are naturally larger-framed. Hell, my boobs alone weigh over 10lbs each, but I doubt the BMI scale takes THAT into account.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-23-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 02:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
yep, it's been a problem for awhile.....and no signs that it's going to get better. Perhaps an incentive.....BMI within normal gets you a tax cut. If you're overweight, you pay more taxes, and if you're obese (like POTUS0, you pay even more taxes.
Okay, I'll play along - why not just make healthy food cheaper (more government assistance to farmers) and put high taxes on donuts and fast food and all the other nasty stuff?
Provide free gyms, exercise and health classes.

in case you haven't noticed, the poor are usually the obese ones. Apparently, more low earners have thyroid issues .

Free fruits for everyone!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:03 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is obesity in many other developed nations and you can see this first hand if you travel to Europe, Australia, etc.
I travel to the Netherlands 6 month a year. There are hardly any overweight people..... Folks ride a bicycle and don't eat extremely large portions.....
They eat sweet things, but just once a week...., not three times a day.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:16 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
I travel to the Netherlands 6 month a year. There are hardly any overweight people..... Folks ride a bicycle and don't eat extremely large portions.....
They eat sweet things, but just once a week...., not three times a day.
I don't know any European countries with lots of obese people. HOWEVER, the trend is going towards the US, it is just a matter of time until they are on the same level.

I just checked the statistics. Not one European country on the top 20 of the list of obesity. It is mainly African countrys and South America.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:49 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
But it's their thyroid!!! And all the depression meds everyone is on! It's not their fault!

Disclaimer: I am taking thyroid meds myself.
My cancer meds actually state side effect is weight gain although even before that I started to struggle after menopause. Grrrr

Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So true. It's every bit as unhealthy to be underweight. Goodness, some of these Victoria Secrets models have some horror stories about the extremes they'd go to in order to be "marketable." But that end of the weight spectrum is a socially acceptable unhealthy.

In other news I just noticed your location. I'd never even heard of Round Rock until this past week when I learned about a judo tournament taking place down there. I'll be heading that way in May!
You don't have to have very much fat to be healthy, 8% for men and 13% for women(the reproductive system and having breasts uses many calories) any more than that is just storage.

most of us have much more than that because we consume way more calories than we need to survive. part of the problem here in america is that we still eat like farmers(3 square meals a day) but we aren't behind a plow 12 hours a day burning off those extra calories. and our wives aren't churning butter and carrying feed sacks around feeding the chickens(burning insane calories). but we still eat like thats our typical days activities.

The photo below the girl on the the left would be unhealthy thin, the one on the right healthy thin, saddly many women here would lump the 2 together.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:23 AM

679 posts, read 812,192 times
The liberal theory of "healthy at any size" totally ignores science and facts. Wake the f up, people.

The food industry bears some blame, with high fructose corn syrup in everything, it seems.

Learn to shop smart and grow some of your own food. You'll be glad you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness