Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

Your thoughts on lat pulldowns?

I've been doing them semi-regularly using the cable machine (love the cable machine!). Lately I've switched attachments and use the D-Grip. For some reason, I can lift heavier using the D-grip.

Should I change attachments every now and then for variety? Does one more effective than the other or does each target different parts of the back?

Any favorite cable lat exercises that are easy to pick up?

Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
The closer your hands are the more weight you can pull. Attatchments that bring your hands closer will allow you to lift more. I love lat pulldowns. Yes switching attatcments every so ofter for variety is smart. Keep it up. Pull ups are even better I think but they are tough lol.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24...=lat+pulldowns

this guy's youtube is technical, but useful

Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
My only reservation about doing lat pulldowns is that before doing them you should inspect the cable at all points to make sure that it's in good condition. You don't want the cable or the connecting point where the handle attaches to the cable to break when you're pulling it toward you, especially if you pull to the back of the neck. That could result in a serious injury. Other than that, I think the pulldown (to the front) is a good exercise.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:26 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
I don't like them anymore, at least not with a wide grip. Too much strain on the shoulders. After I stopped doing them my shoulder discomfort went away. I watched a lot of videos on proper form, and I just don't think it's a good exercise for me.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:32 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Your thoughts on lat pulldowns?

Should I change attachments every now and then for variety? Does one more effective than the other or does each target different parts of the back?
Lat pulldowns are great. And yes, depending on your grip (or attachment) it will target your lats in different ways.

You can mix it up with wide grip attachment, V grip, rope lat pulldowns, etc.

My advice (again, this is just MY advice, others may chime in differently), but I say to avoid pulling down behind your head/neck. You dont want to risk any rotator cuff (or other) injury.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Anyone ever tried these?
https://www.amazon.com/Lifting-Power..._&dpSrc=detail

Looks like they would provide complete isolation, my grip fatigues before traps do on shrugs along with pulldowns.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Anyone ever tried these?
https://www.amazon.com/Lifting-Power..._&dpSrc=detail

Looks like they would provide complete isolation, my grip fatigues before traps do on shrugs along with pulldowns.
Lighten the load. You'll need to do more reps, but you'll get a better workout if you can keep a good form. You want to get a good squeeze at the bottom, and keep tension as you slowly let it back up.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Lighten the load. You'll need to do more reps, but you'll get a better workout if you can keep a good form. You want to get a good squeeze at the bottom, and keep tension as you slowly let it back up.
I do a lot of eccentric training, but grip still fatigues on deadlifts no matter how I grip the barbell.
I've tried strengthening it via reverse grip preacher curls, using light weight.
Have run out of options, hence considering hooks.
Maybe those old school spring loaded squeeze things will help in strengthening my grip, might give one a try.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I do a lot of eccentric training, but grip still fatigues on deadlifts no matter how I grip the barbell.
I've tried strengthening it via reverse grip preacher curls, using light weight.
Have run out of options, hence considering hooks.
Maybe those old school spring loaded squeeze things will help in strengthening my grip, might give one a try.
There are inherent limits to our abilities, including grip. Too much gripping exercise can cause you problems with nerves and tendons. Be careful about that. I'm an electrician and if there is one thing I would argue is "overdeveloped" compared to the rest of me, it's probably hands and wrists.

Usually my failure is going so heavy that I can't complete the range of motion to its fullest, or having to initiate momentum to get the weight to move.

The only movement that taxes my grip the most is probably farmer's carry. The deadlift motion is too quick to fatigue my hands at heaviest weight I've managed so far (225). 1x 45lb dumb bell in each hand walking back and forth can be really taxing, though I also have small hands and the size of the grip can really make a difference.

Maybe I'm just weary of crutches. I don't wear a belt (yet) or use straps. I see them as valuable for going very heavy, but I probably would avoid conditions where I would be using them all the time.

Can you lat-pull down your own weight yet for a full set?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness