Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:30 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Good for her! That's fantastic. Finishing a marathon is a huge achievement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Good for her! It’s tough enough to do a marathon, let alone having to endure smugness from fitness elites. I wish her well.
Thank you!!!! Amen for her, how fabulous. How strong.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:26 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
The new American normal: Grossly obese people running marathons.

Oh well, might as well get used to it, people aren't losing weight in this country, take a look around and see for yourself. Nowhere is immune.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:15 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good for her, but curious how someone can train for and finish a marathon and still weigh almost 290 pounds.

I know I'd lose a lot of weight doing a lot of running, all things being equal.

It’s a question I ponder too, despite a healthy diet and exercise my weight won’t shift and it’s not thyroid problems.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The new American normal: Grossly obese people running marathons.

Oh well, might as well get used to it, people aren't losing weight in this country, take a look around and see for yourself. Nowhere is immune.
Well at least she is trying to do healthy things like run a marathon. I’ve known skinny people who eat junk, and are very unhealthy, but somehow people assume skinny/slender means healthy.
Meanwhile a 45 year old friend of mine, a trained triathlete, average weight, health conscious died of a massive heart attack while she was out walking.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:43 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Running a marathon is not healthy for anybody, but certainly not for a woman who weighs 400 lbs.

Who told this woman that it would be a good idea to do this?

Old 02-23-2018, 07:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Well at least she is trying to do healthy things like run a marathon. I’ve known skinny people who eat junk, and are very unhealthy, but somehow people assume skinny/slender means healthy.
Meanwhile a 45 year old friend of mine, a trained triathlete, average weight, health conscious died of a massive heart attack while she was out walking.
She may or may not eat healthy. I had a friend who was about 80 - 100 pounds overweight. She used to run and did 3 1/2 marathons and also attempted a marathon, but did not complete it.

Her food intake was not healthy. She drank sodas, and ate fairly crappy food. She also drank - being social most nights of the week.
I admired the the fact that she could put in the work to run, but her other choices compromised her time in the race and a long time to recover.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:07 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,265 times
"Not sure if you guys remember this lady, but she is the 300+ lb fat activist who was caught cheating at a novelty fun run 5K earlier this year and disqualified. She calls herself an elite professional athlete in the top 5% of the country in fitness and health. She's done a handful of 5Ks and hasn't been able to finish in under an hour. She did the Seattle Marathon in 12:20 and barely finished. And she's been training for an IRONMAN for the last 2 1/2 years (3-5 hours/day!). Lots of hilarious **** along the way like being caught faking training selfies multiple times (different angles and outfits in her home). Last year she did IMAZ 70.3 and didn't make the swim cut-off.

Sooo, this year she flew to Tempe, checked in and picked up her swag bag and... registered for 2017 and flew straight home. Didn't even dip her toes in the water or volunteer. She posted a blubbery update on her blog about how she could totally have finished the 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike but wasn't sure about the marathon afterwards, and is throwing herself into training again etc., along with an inspirational video of all her fake training selfies. Her followers are eating it up."

Fat activist Ragen Chastain (12hr marathon PR) drops out of IRONMAN Arizona

Old 02-23-2018, 08:11 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Not sure what the appeal of a Marathon is unless people want to wreck their body.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
She may or may not eat healthy. I had a friend who was about 80 - 100 pounds overweight. She used to run and did 3 1/2 marathons and also attempted a marathon, but did not complete it.

Her food intake was not healthy. She drank sodas, and ate fairly crappy food. She also drank - being social most nights of the week.
I admired the the fact that she could put in the work to run, but her other choices compromised her time in the race and a long time to recover.
That’s the point though, we don’t know what her eating habits are like so people are not in a position to judge or assume anything. All we can judge is that she is big and that she does marathons, beyond that is speculation which is often biased and at times very stereotypical/unfair. I eat healthier than my husband,exercise more than him but he burns Calories and is very slim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness