Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 06:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times

Advertisements

So I made a goal to do a half marathon this year, and signed up for one on April 22. When I first started training, I was barely able to do two 10 minute miles. I set a goal for myself to do the half in under two hours. Running is something that has always been difficult for me.... sort of a one step forward, two steps back sort of deal where I would have some excellent runs that punctuated awful runs where I would be totally sidelined by cramps/breathing issues.

A little under two months later, I've really taken a hard look at my diet, hydration levels, how I'm warming up, stretching, etc. and I've been sticking to an incremental running plan that conservatively increases distances on a weekly basis. On my most recent long run, I was able to do 9 miles at an 8:59 min/mi pace. I know that's not great but considering where I started, I'm proud of my progress.

But, an 8:59 minute mile pace already puts me well below the 2 hour goal I originally set for myself, and I think I can do even better. What do you think?? Based on my progress, how low do you think I could reasonably expect in the 56 days between today, February 25, and April 22? FWIW - I'm running 4x a week mostly. Like this coming week I'm doing two 6-7 mile runs, a 10 mile run, and a 2-3 for pace. That's a typical running week for me. I've been dealing with some tendonitis in my left ankle area but that's about it. It's been manageable with icing and a lot of rolling out and stretching, but it is an area of concern nonetheless which is the primary reason why I don't want to overdo it. ETA: Also, I'm 31/male. 5'9", about 165.

Last edited by Bluefox; 02-25-2018 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 05:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
What has been your pace for 10ks? I just did a half yesterday and I've done a lot of 10ks at about 8:20-8:30 min miles and my half yesterday was (9:00 min/mile - finished 1:58 hrs).

Be careful about over extending yourself early in the run. I maintained a very slow slog type pace where I had to hold myself back for nearly 5 miles. It really didn't matter since there were 7,000 runners and not much room for running fast unless you maneuvered throughout the beginning.

I followed a 10 week guide that had me extend my distances with one long run every week. I think most guides have you tapering off the mileages a week or two before the race. My last long run was probably 2-3 weeks before my race (12 miles).

Heat and humidity have a big influence on the pace. Here in FL it can slow my pace down by a min/mile. Be ready for that if you have an unusually warm Spring day.

Hydration days before is important. Same w/ nutrition the day and morning of......I experimented a few times and had some tough training days because of bad timing of my nutrition.

Harry Runs pretty much summarizes all the stuff I've heard from YT experts including Sage Cannady.

BTW, you really need to keep an eye on your heart rate (use a GPS/HR monitor watch) to guide your runs. I don't know if it's too late, but keeping your rates low (120-130's) during the training really works toward your endurance goals of running longer without cramps/breathing issues. If you're having these issues, you're pushing yourself too hard and need to be at a pace where you can have a conversation with someone. It sounds like you need to work on your aerobic metabolism. Search youtube videos regarding athletes (Ironman) who used heart rate monitor tracking to guide their workouts.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpoF9ARpQiM

Last edited by BucFan; 02-26-2018 at 05:56 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 04:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
I think you're trying to do too much, too soon. Sixty days is not much time to expect the kind of improvement you want. If you get injured, then you have to stop running to heal, and your hard work has been wasted. I'd suggest just make your goal to run your half at about 10 minute miles. Then plan another half in 6-9 months and see if you can get under 2 hrs.

You might post your question on letsrun.com. You will get tons of people more knowledgeable than me.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So I made a goal to do a half marathon this year, and signed up for one on April 22. When I first started training, I was barely able to do two 10 minute miles. I set a goal for myself to do the half in under two hours. Running is something that has always been difficult for me.... sort of a one step forward, two steps back sort of deal where I would have some excellent runs that punctuated awful runs where I would be totally sidelined by cramps/breathing issues.

A little under two months later, I've really taken a hard look at my diet, hydration levels, how I'm warming up, stretching, etc. and I've been sticking to an incremental running plan that conservatively increases distances on a weekly basis. On my most recent long run, I was able to do 9 miles at an 8:59 min/mi pace. I know that's not great but considering where I started, I'm proud of my progress.

But, an 8:59 minute mile pace already puts me well below the 2 hour goal I originally set for myself, and I think I can do even better. What do you think?? Based on my progress, how low do you think I could reasonably expect in the 56 days between today, February 25, and April 22? FWIW - I'm running 4x a week mostly. Like this coming week I'm doing two 6-7 mile runs, a 10 mile run, and a 2-3 for pace. That's a typical running week for me. I've been dealing with some tendonitis in my left ankle area but that's about it. It's been manageable with icing and a lot of rolling out and stretching, but it is an area of concern nonetheless which is the primary reason why I don't want to overdo it. ETA: Also, I'm 31/male. 5'9", about 165.
You should be very proud of your accomplishment already. The ankle tendonitis sounds concerning, and you may want to go less aggressive and make sure you aren’t increasing your weekly mileage too quickly. If you are needing icing etc for just a half, you might be over-exerting and/or have form issues. For a first 13.1 race, the goal should be to finish. If you can do 9 mi, you can finish. I would throw in core work, resistance training, and some cross training (anything that isn’t running that uses different muscle groups) to round out your running. There are many runner forums where you can get tips. Good luck and enjoy your first half!

Old 03-08-2018, 07:48 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

I enjoy half marathons. I simply run for the fun and health benefits. Football was actually my main sport. I have the body build of a linebacker - not a classic "runner's" build. By contrast, you are somewhat closer to that runner's build (relatively). A half marathon under two hours should be realistic.

For me, a good half marathon is under two hours. My fastest was when I did training runs of 16 miles in a crowded well used running area. I would run around a very popular lake with many active runners. Then I would veer off for about 8 miles up to some large hills and return to the lake and try to keep up with some of the runners after having already gone about 14 miles. It was really hard to keep up even with those at a slow pace (for me anyways).
I did not do a long run for a couple of weekends then did a 5k at about 21 min. About a week later I ran my fastest half marathon well under two hours.

The 14-16 mile run about three weeks before the race should get you well under if you run the 5k a weekend before as fast as you can to get your VO2 max up.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:27 PM

30 posts, read 18,635 times
Longtime distance runner here, 60, lots and lots of half marathons and six marathons. At your age, starting out barely able to run a 10 minute mile and already running 9 miles at 8:59 pace demonstrates that with some time and lots of miles your speed will improve-and by a lot. There are two things to be concerned about right now however, with the upcoming half marathon. First, 9 miles is not 13.1. You would be wise to reach at least 12--and better, 13 or 14--miles by a couple of weeks before the race, to assure yourself that you can run the distance and that you are not running too fast for your ability. Don't do that within the last two weeks, however. Taper down your miles in the last two weeks, but keep up the speed during the runs.

Second, though, is that ankle. This is a classic beginner's injury and, if you really get it, you are going to be a long time getting out of it. It arises from overuse: basically, too much, too fast. Keep treating it, but don't increase your speed or your miles if you are still feeling it.

Your goal for the first half marathon--this is hard to accept but true--is to finish, not to make a specific time. If you don't start out too fast and try to keep to a roughly even effort throughout, then you will run a second half marathon. That one, I assure, will be all about time!

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buitenzorg View Post
Longtime distance runner here, 60, lots and lots of half marathons and six marathons. At your age, starting out barely able to run a 10 minute mile and already running 9 miles at 8:59 pace demonstrates that with some time and lots of miles your speed will improve-and by a lot. There are two things to be concerned about right now however, with the upcoming half marathon. First, 9 miles is not 13.1. You would be wise to reach at least 12--and better, 13 or 14--miles by a couple of weeks before the race, to assure yourself that you can run the distance and that you are not running too fast for your ability. Don't do that within the last two weeks, however. Taper down your miles in the last two weeks, but keep up the speed during the runs.

Second, though, is that ankle. This is a classic beginner's injury and, if you really get it, you are going to be a long time getting out of it. It arises from overuse: basically, too much, too fast. Keep treating it, but don't increase your speed or your miles if you are still feeling it.

Your goal for the first half marathon--this is hard to accept but true--is to finish, not to make a specific time. If you don't start out too fast and try to keep to a roughly even effort throughout, then you will run a second half marathon. That one, I assure, will be all about time!

Good luck.
This is what I was going to say! I am another old runner who has seen many come and go. Just finish. Then you have a real goal for the next race.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:25 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buitenzorg View Post

Good luck.
Great advice. Just completing a marathon (half or full), is an accomplishment in itself, something that can be built upon and improved over time.

One of the difficult things to get right is your tactics in terms of pace-setting, especially against your competitors. Doing practice runs on your own is good because its just you running against the clock; but running against a variety of runners can really put a strain on your familiar comfort zone as you try to keep up.

And are you totally happy with your running shoes? I have found over the years that it's quite a science finding the right shoes that suit your feet, your weight, height, centre of gravity and overall comfort. Finding the right shoes can make a big difference to your running tactics, energy and final placement.

So as Buitenzorg has said, just finishing your marathon should be your goal. It's not the winning but the taking part that counts in your context.

Good luck

Old 03-10-2018, 02:41 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post

One of the difficult things to get right is your tactics in terms of pace-setting, especially against your competitors.
I keep having to remind myself that my only competitor is myself and my previous finishing times.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:56 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
If your ankle is bothering you it would be in your best interest to address it with some treatment and or rest. Half’s are a dime a dozen and if needed you can run another race. 9 miles a 8:59 is different than 13+ if you weren’t suffering from an ankle issue I would suggest you adding speed work into your weekly routine, that and hills I’ve found to be effective in getting faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness