Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:38 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times

Advertisements

I remember I wrote a thread not so much about dismissing running but how I thought burpees and other HIIT workouts were a replacement for running. Something to that effect. However, I've been running for about a good year now and I still stay by HIIT ALL THE WAY. Nothing can replace running for cardio though. Since I've been running, I've learned much more about pacing, conserving energy and not blowing my gas tank. I've been incorporating sprints as well and its been amazing. Especially running on steep hills and various terrains, having to be vigilant and on my P's and Q's, its really been amazing to me. It's also been highly therapeutic in that my mind always feels refreshed after I run. I'm now going to start training for a half marathon and a triathlon.

I can share the same superlatives about swimming and biking that I do about running but I've yet to really get to a good enough level to say much about swimming and biking but I DIGRESS. It just boggles my mind that I've always put running on the back burner in exchange for doing lots of burpees and other HIIT type of exercises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Lot of HIIT folks cant sustain that form of exercise for long periods of time from what I understand. After doing it for a few months, they tend to quit. Is that accurate? Gotta chose fitness activities that you can continue for the long term, imo.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:22 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I remember I wrote a thread not so much about dismissing running but how I thought burpees and other HIIT workouts were a replacement for running. Something to that effect. However, I've been running for about a good year now and I still stay by HIIT ALL THE WAY. Nothing can replace running for cardio though. Since I've been running, I've learned much more about pacing, conserving energy and not blowing my gas tank. I've been incorporating sprints as well and its been amazing. Especially running on steep hills and various terrains, having to be vigilant and on my P's and Q's, its really been amazing to me. It's also been highly therapeutic in that my mind always feels refreshed after I run. I'm now going to start training for a half marathon and a triathlon.
Congrats on the running Lital. Its amazing for health and fat burning. My "distance" running consists of only going 5k or 10k. Dont think I'll ever be running any marathons.

I would love to do more hills but my usual run location is so convenient (I walk to my starting point) its just easier to stick to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Lot of HIIT folks cant sustain that form of exercise for long periods of time from what I understand. After doing it for a few months, they tend to quit. Is that accurate?
While any form of exercise you'll find people who quit it after a while, I have found that most people I know who do HIIT, have been doing it for YEARS. Its no accident that these people are some of the fittest/healthiest I know even though some of them started out being in the WORST shape ever. It pays to continue with HIIT. I've been doing HIIT for MORE than 10 years. Probably closer to 15-20 actually. My morning cardio is usually some mix of HIIT and running. Usually on alternating days.

Just yesterday, my morning cardio was this:

Sprint work again this Monday morning.

8 x 100 yard full speed sprints

After each 100 yard sprint, performed the following:
10 squats
10 burpees
10 situps
10 pushups

30 seconds of rest between each sprint/exercise session.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
I’ve done a little running, but recently I’ve taken up swimming. Long term it just seems like running will put much more wear and tear on the body.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:40 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I’ve done a little running, but recently I’ve taken up swimming. Long term it just seems like running will put much more wear and tear on the body.
I too have only just recently taken up swimming again, purely because I have relatively weak upper-body strength. I do cardio involving weights, crunches, planks and squats etc, but I really hate it. But I have found swimming to be a pretty good compromise, especially the harder more demanding strokes like the breast and butterfly.

But I love running, especially marathons and cross-country; and to a lesser extent cycling. I even tried a triathlon a couple of years back but I failed quite miserably because I was so weak at swimming- hence why I've gone back to it in a far more dedicated way.

But you're right about the long-term health risks of continual running year-in, year-out. The joints can only tolerate so much pressure over time. So I guess I will have to gradually dial down either the regularity and/or the distances involved over the next few years. But I would hate the idea of giving up on running all together - it's the only form of exercise I am really good at, and love doing.

But at the end of the day, health trumps passion.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
I tried it for awhile last year - really boring. Gotta get back into it though. At one time, I even had one of those waterproof MP3 players to keep me occupied during the swims. I found swimming was really help me sculpt my core/upper body.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Lot of HIIT folks cant sustain that form of exercise for long periods of time from what I understand. After doing it for a few months, they tend to quit. Is that accurate? Gotta chose fitness activities that you can continue for the long term, imo.
That hasn't been the case with me personally. If anything, HIIT assisted me greatly in transitioning to running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Congrats on the running Lital. Its amazing for health and fat burning. My "distance" running consists of only going 5k or 10k. Dont think I'll ever be running any marathons.

I would love to do more hills but my usual run location is so convenient (I walk to my starting point) its just easier to stick to it.

While any form of exercise you'll find people who quit it after a while, I have found that most people I know who do HIIT, have been doing it for YEARS. Its no accident that these people are some of the fittest/healthiest I know even though some of them started out being in the WORST shape ever. It pays to continue with HIIT. I've been doing HIIT for MORE than 10 years. Probably closer to 15-20 actually. My morning cardio is usually some mix of HIIT and running. Usually on alternating days.

Just yesterday, my morning cardio was this:

Sprint work again this Monday morning.

8 x 100 yard full speed sprints

After each 100 yard sprint, performed the following:
10 squats
10 burpees
10 situps
10 pushups

30 seconds of rest between each sprint/exercise session.
Quote:

Yes, while running can put a lot of wear and tear on the body, I also found that your body can become quite conditioned. I've seen many older people who still run and run very well.

However, I need to get into swimming as well. I've been doing it a little bit and its AMAZING. And it definitely doesn't tear your body up like many other forms of exercising. Excellent for rehabilitation too. I once injured my ankle and knee and swimming helped tremendously in my recovery.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
When I see people running I always wonder about their joints, especially for those who have been doing it for years. I have had knee discomfort since my 30's so I wouldn't even consider running. I'll stick to my long "power walking".

Old 03-07-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
When I see people running I always wonder about their joints, especially for those who have been doing it for years. I have had knee discomfort since my 30's so I wouldn't even consider running. I'll stick to my long "power walking".
Bike riding is great if you have messed up joints, swimming too.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:42 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
:-( I wish I could run, but screwed up my ankles in a climbing accident, messed them up a few other times since after some other issues issues I finally had to quit.
But I could care less about exercise or fitness or health, or whatever, I just like running for it self, as a way to relax the mind. I like to go for a bike, I do some long hikes, and I should start swimming but it is just sooo boring to swim in a pool. Really nothing can replace the feeling running gives you (dunno maybe heroin?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness