Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:18 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you are talking about lypo it's really not that great, I've read some studies that say you just put the fat back on in other areas. If someone removes a spare tire and gains cankles, that's not really that great.
Thanks for sharing that. I am losing the old fashion way sweat and grit, but my GF who has more weight to loss than I, wants to go lypo and plastic surgery and I concerned about the safety of lypo.

She doesn't see that drinking regular sugar soft drinks is killing her waistline and even if she were to lose the weight whatever way it will come back unless she changes her lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 12:23 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I would not use lipo for weight loss. It is designed for those who are of normal weight but have "problem spots" that diet and exercise can't fix, particularly women. If you don't fix the behavior that made you overweight, you easily put the weight back on in other unwelcome areas. The BEST solution is to grind it out, have patience, and eat less and work out more.

I've considered plastic surgery to get that perfection (get rid of the bit of loose skin, boob job) - it's like the cherry on top after grinding it out and losing 70 lbs - but ultimately I'm likely not to do it. I've just learned to accept myself as I am and be glad that I've freed myself of the extra baggage.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:40 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The key is to eat satiating foods. Exercise is no excuse to eat more - just choose your food wisely.

Yes, I totally agree.............for me though, easier said than done.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am not sure when it happened, but kids could no longer just go outside and play without some sort of parental supervision. When I was a kid I left the house in the morning and came back for lunch and then when back out and came back for dinner. Thats what all the kids did and we entertained ourselves by doing active things.
We started to fear that our kids would be assaulted or kidnapped and so leaving them on their own outside started to go away. Bring in video games and snacks that are high sugar, high sodium, and high fat and you have a recipe for obesity.
Well. We all DID go to school, and were expected to sit in a chair all day long except for recess and PE, and don't dare get out of your chair except to sharpen your pencil, but on days off during the summer and weekends, we moved around a LOT.

I agree that the fear that our kids would be assaulted or kidnapped if they play outside is bizarre. I think that was a milk carton business, if you take your eyes off your kids they will disappear. Not true. The rate of stranger kidnapping hasn't increased since the 1950's, but there is a cottage industry telling us kids will be grabbed off the street if you look away.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I've spent a long time in university and private fitness centers. I've seen many people who spend hours each evening, doing hard, endurance workouts on stationary bikes, treadmills, stairmasters, etc. And many of them never lost those extra 15 to 25 pounds of excess weight that they were fighting. Obviously, they were either not knowledgeable enough about proper diet or simply were not willing to give up their comfort foods and drinks. Any good advice about diet would go in one ear and out the other.

After I eliminated all grains and added sugars from my diet, I've had no problem keeping my weight at 15 lbs. less than it had been for years, despite all my hard running, biking and hiking. I also quit eating bananas (sometimes four per day), as they are loaded with carbohydrates. No more potatoes, either. I drink nothing but water. But I do eat many raw fruits and vegetables and beans, instead of rice. Water-pack tuna and sardines and chicken breasts, browned and steamed, are my main protein sources.
It shouldn't take any intelligent person too long to figure out what they're eating that they shouldn't be, once they've decided they need to lose a little weight. This usually seems to happen around the mid 30's or early 40's when the metabolism starts to slow down just barely enough to start telling on bad eating habits. 10 years ago I used to be able to eat Cinnabons and Pop Tarts all day and still see my abs pretty well. Those days are over. I think most people just don't have the self discipline to change their habits for the better and/or just don't care. (My father smoking and eating ice cream every night comes to mind...) I found starting with the obvious offenders like soda pop, candy, Pop Tarts, pastries, and anything else with added sugar was a good place to start attacking the problem. Then once you have broken the habit with those things you can get a little more strict with the carbs and sugars of any kind.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Thanks for sharing that. I am losing the old fashion way sweat and grit, but my GF who has more weight to loss than I, wants to go lypo and plastic surgery and I concerned about the safety of lypo.

She doesn't see that drinking regular sugar soft drinks is killing her waistline and even if she were to lose the weight whatever way it will come back unless she changes her lifestyle.
Have her try flavored sparkling water. Has a little zing that plain bottled water lacks and the carbonation does a good job of mimicking a carbonated soft drink. A lemon-lime Perrier basically tastes like 7-Up or Sprite without the corn syrup. It's all I drink for lunch now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness