Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:21 PM

221 posts, read 318,136 times

Advertisements

I am an active female. I work out regularly (4-5 days a week) mostly running and free weights/circuit style workouts.

My current shoes are many years old and are starting fall apart and rip in various places. I'm interested in finding a supportive and stylish pair of shoes that will work for all activities I do.

Any suggestions on something worth looking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 06:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
I am an active female. I work out regularly (4-5 days a week) mostly running and free weights/circuit style workouts.

My current shoes are many years old and are starting fall apart and rip in various places. I'm interested in finding a supportive and stylish pair of shoes that will work for all activities I do.

You need to different pairs, actually more than that. I'd use two running shoes and rotate them. I use different shoes (cross training types) for lifting and calisthenic type activities.

If you have the finances and the resources, you might consider having a running shoe store fit you to shoes based on your foot type. Some even have a 3D scanner that will check out your feet (arches for example) and then a computer kicks out a recommendation.

https://www.sport-conrad.com/blog/en...foot-analysis/ Here's the machine - this one is from Germany. We have a local running store with the same technology. I think paying good money for a running shoe is worth the investment to keep from being injured. It's also a good rule of thumb to ditch the shoe once you hit a certain amount of mileage (I want to say 500 total miles) even if the shoe's upper cosmetics are intact.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:53 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Find a running store near you if you can. Go there and have yourself fitted. Tell them what you do and they will get the right shoe for you.
Running shoes come in all sorts of colors these days so I am sure you an find something you like.
I dont run anymore, but I still wear running shoes because I like the support and how light they are. If you do not have a running store nearby, go to a store that has a decent selection. Try on as many as you can and walk around the store. Go 1/2 size up. You need the extra room when you run.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post

Find yourself a honest shoe store (not payless or some other junk shoe joint) and get fitted into the proper type of shoe for the activity you want to do. Don't get cheap on your shoe choice!!

Shoes are the most important item of clothing you can buy!!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Out of all clothing, shoes would be the only thing I would never go cheap on unless I had to.

If you are active as you described, you are best served by two sets, one for running and one for your weight/circuit. If you do not have the funds for two, then get a good pair of running as that impacts your feet the most.

Do not keep shoes you are active in till the point they are in the condition you describe.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:41 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
For running, best to go to a dedicated running shoe store and not footlocker or online store. Made a huge difference to me. Brand doesn't matter, what's important is what shoe best fits your feet.

Unless you're a serious cross fitter or weight lifter, I don't see a need for specialized lifting shoes.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
If you;re cheap you can always go get fitted and then go to amazon and look for a model older. Prices drop dramatically when shoes companies put out new models. It's ridiculous, it's like a used car industry. I have Ascis Gel Kayanos- 15 up to 21. But within there I think I have like 3 pairs of the 16s because I was broke at the time and liked the colors. When you find out what your foot looks like you can then look for cross trainers that work for your foot through reviews. I landed on some Reebok cross fit shoes for my bootcamp due to the support and Newtons for running due to some foot stuff going on causing me to switch from my beloved Kayanos.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:19 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
If you;re cheap you can always go get fitted and then go to amazon and look for a model older. (snip) .
While well meaning this advice is incorrect if you have any sort of foot trouble.

To get shoes that fit correctly the ONLY way to do that is actually fit the feet having trouble by an experienced shoe clerk then buy the shoes that fit right then and there. This is really important the older you get.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:02 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
While well meaning this advice is incorrect if you have any sort of foot trouble.

To get shoes that fit correctly the ONLY way to do that is actually fit the feet having trouble by an experienced shoe clerk then buy the shoes that fit right then and there. This is really important the older you get.
The prior advice is fine. Going to a running store and being recommend a specific shoes only to purchase online instead cheaper isn’t bad advice. The poster is right the shoe companies do often model updates that consists mostly of color changes whic cuts the prior models price in half.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:25 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The prior advice is fine. Going to a running store and being recommend a specific shoes only to purchase online instead cheaper isn’t bad advice.
It's good advice if you don't mind being a bit unethical. If you go into a store to take advantage of the expertise and training of the staff, it's crappy business to then not buy shoes from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness