Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 12:55 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Men for some reason can often get away with getting fairly lean while just doing weights, but for women they do usually have to do both. I'd hypothesize that it has to do with the fact that women in general have less caloric requirements, so the cardio allows you to eat more and be less miserable while dieting than you otherwise would be. Men can kind of just cut calories, but it's not as painful for us because we have naturally higher caloric requirements.
This has been said multiple times in the subforum before, but men tend to do different weightlifting workouts than women. As I said earlier, the women who tend to have those ideal bodies are doing most of the same workouts men are doing, but often with more focus on the lower body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I've never understand how yoga is considered a form of fitness since it seems to me to be stationary and meditative rather than physically intensive (ex: cardio workout). Pilates is offered in my area during a time when I'm at work so unable to attend. But, I could purchase a pilated dvd or pull it up online now that I think about it and get the workout that way. Thanks for the suggestion.
buy some cheap pilates equipment for the house. like a pilates ring and stretch ropes with handles... these work fast and you might just see results..

Old 05-14-2018, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 6,970 times
Default How to start, track, and correct your calories for maximum diet progression

She teaches how to count calories and track properly in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2193CnWIaV0&t=17s

Tackle your diet first…

How to lose weight:

You must be at caloric deficit in order to lose fat/weight.

You can lose body fat by being at a caloric deficit, which can be done by:

1# Eat less than the calories you burn per day (calorie intake - (*BMR + expended calories))

2# Do some cardio that helps you burn more calories than you need in a day

3# Increase your BMR by weight training. This causes your basal metabolic rate to increase, which increases the amount of calories you burn at rest!

*BMR - BASAL METABOLIC RATE (Calories burned at rest) - you can figure this out with a machine at the gym or doctors or you can count calories for a few weeks and estimate what your BMR is.

Counting calories is a tool for your fitness and nutrition toolbox. It is something you can do when you want to cut down in body fat. It is a misconception that cardio is the best way to lose weight! Counting calories is the fastest and most efficient way to cut down the fat and keep the muscle you have.

Loosing 1lb of fat per week is a good way to lose fat and conserve muscle!Many people believe counting calories is a tedious tasks and it can be at the beginning when you have never done it before!

After awhile you do definitely get used to it and it actually becomes convenient, because all your meals are pretty much made and set out for you!

For the most part, you can just eat pretty healthy year round with some cheat meals and outside food on occasion.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:15 AM

9 posts, read 6,661 times
Salt is never too good for you, I have the same problem, but drinking more water and more core exercising like pilates and yoga should help.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:22 PM

797 posts, read 751,985 times
1.Dexa Scan
2.200-300 less cals than TDEE (Keto or low carb diet)
3.HIIT(Sprints 3-4 times a week)
4.Get your Iodine in as well as other micronutrients.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:46 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Buy pants that fit better. Muffin top's usually a symptom of wearing pants that are too tight and too low cut for your figure.
Sure, but at the time you bought those pants, you had no muffin top because the pants fit you just right. Then maybe 2-3 years later, you're wearing the same pants, but now you have a muffin top, which means you gained some belly fat.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingCat View Post
The way I did it was to run to work instead of driving.
Nice, but doesn't work if you drive across a bridge and pedestrians aren't allowed on bridges. And if your commute is already long by car, running will take forever to get there.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:07 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Reading a Redbook magazine yesterday, I saw an article stating belly fat is only water weight which is from eating salty foods/snacks. I thought it was stored fat that for some reason I can't get my body to burn it for energy. A thread on Health & Wellness touts intermitted fasting (IF) to lose weight / burn fat but I already do this and it hasn't diminished my love handles at all.

Please don't believe everything you read.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:53 AM

57 posts, read 39,443 times
I dont know if am fat or skinny fat
https://imgur.com/a/v611yhn
Can I build large muscles on a calorie deficit? Or do you suggest a lean bulk where I gain little more fat?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:29 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This has been said multiple times in the subforum before, but men tend to do different weightlifting workouts than women. As I said earlier, the women who tend to have those ideal bodies are doing most of the same workouts men are doing, but often with more focus on the lower body.
Forgive me but I'm not sure I'm following the point you're trying to make. My post was related to women often needing a combination of weights and cardio in their fat loss programs, while men can often get by on just weights (at least until they get to about 10% or so). I'm not really sure how the type of weightlifting workouts they do really factors in. Perhaps there's some context from earlier in the thread that I've forgotten/am missing? My post you quoted was from a few months back so I don't quite remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness