Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Cleanses are the only real way to get rid of the excess around the belt line. Exercising wont get rid of what is living in your intestines, but cleanses do. There is no easy way either, it takes years to eliminate the things living in you.
If you have stuff living in your intestines, maybe you need a good bowel movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 04:52 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
If you have stuff living in your intestines, maybe you need a good bowel movement.
Plus if you have "intestine issues" in your muffin top region you don't have a muffin top. You've just got a beer belly which in most people appears after a muffin top.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Backstory: ....I workout at the gym 3x week for about 45 minutes between the elyptical machine and power-wallking on the treadmill.

... I saw an article stating belly fat is only water weight Has anyone dealt with this and been able to get rid of it? How did you do it?

Your facts are correct and you are on the right track.

I have done two things to eliminate my "last inch" around the waist:

1.) Sprinting fast, but not too fast, across a long (approx 300 yard) dam at a park near me. After a stop and go warm-up jog to the dam, I sprint across twice, with a short break between each, then stop and go home. (Sometimes I do a cool-down jog after but not usually; need to protect my joints.)

2.) Walking on treadmill, at a high (but not too high) incline, at about 3.5 mph, for 20-30 minutes.

And effective treadmill "cheat" that works for me is to raise and lower the incline. For example, do 18 percent for 2 minutes, then drop to 9 percent for two minutes, then repeat that until I get to 20 or 30 minutes total. The key is to perspire profusely -- literally rain sweat onto the treadmill belt. A lot of that water is coming from the waistline and you will notice it the next day, especially if done at night.

Do these consistently, and your muffin top will disappear. And by consistently I mean the treadmill at least 5 times/week; and sprinting once a week (although less essential if you are consistent with the treadmill).

Old 04-27-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk;51546173
Reading a Redbook magazine yesterday, I saw an article stating [B
belly fat is only water weight which is from eating salty foods/snacks[/b]. I thought it was stored fat that for some reason I can't get my body to burn it for energy. A thread on Health & Wellness touts intermitted fasting (IF) to lose weight / burn fat but I already do this and it hasn't diminished my love handles at all.
Belly fat is fat, it is not water. If bell fat was due to water weight, you could sweat it off. That doesn't work. You might sweat pounds of water off, but the fat is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Your facts are correct and you are on the right track.

I have done two things to eliminate my "last inch" around the waist:

1.) Sprinting fast, but not too fast, across a long (approx 300 yard) dam at a park near me. After a stop and go warm-up jog to the dam, I sprint across twice, with a short break between each, then stop and go home. (Sometimes I do a cool-down jog after but not usually; need to protect my joints.)

2.) Walking on treadmill, at a high (but not too high) incline, at about 3.5 mph, for 20-30 minutes.

And effective treadmill "cheat" that works for me is to raise and lower the incline. For example, do 18 percent for 2 minutes, then drop to 9 percent for two minutes, then repeat that until I get to 20 or 30 minutes total. The key is to perspire profusely -- literally rain sweat onto the treadmill belt. A lot of that water is coming from the waistline and you will notice it the next day, especially if done at night.

Do these consistently, and your muffin top will disappear. And by consistently I mean the treadmill at least 5 times/week; and sprinting once a week (although less essential if you are consistent with the treadmill).
Do you really think there is something magic about doing two 300 yard sprints and walking on a treadmill at an incline for 20-30 minutes?

I've been a runner for 25 years. When training for races, I would always do intervals, which are similar to your 300 yard sprints. My intervals were 400 to 1600 meters. I once did fourteen 400 meter intervals. I For 1600 meter intervals I would do three. For all of them I would jog 200 to 400 meters in between. This is a good way of conditioning but there is nothing magic about it for fat loss. The fact is, exercising hard and longer will burn more calories. You just can't replace all of those burnt calories with new ones.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:42 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

Do you really think there is something magic about doing two 300 yard sprints and walking on a treadmill at an incline for 20-30 minutes?
Yes, because when done consistently, as I said, it works -- when nothing else does.

Years ago when I first tried High Intensity Interval Training, I did hill sprints, which were effective. But then I realized flat sprinting was just as good. Also, I always ignored the treadmill but could not argue with the results after I tried it.

There is nothing magic about any exercise. But even the briefest research on sprinting, or proper and consistent incline treadmill exercise, will provide sufficient evidence of their effectiveness.

You specifically mentioned you did sprinting only for training, and it sounds like only a few times. Try doing them several times a week and see if it makes a difference then.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Yes, because when done consistently, as I said, it works -- when nothing else does.

Years ago when I first tried High Intensity Interval Training, I did hill sprints, which were effective. But then I realized flat sprinting was just as good. Also, I always ignored the treadmill but could not argue with the results after I tried it.

There is nothing magic about any exercise. But even the briefest research on sprinting, or proper and consistent incline treadmill exercise, will provide sufficient evidence of their effectiveness.

You specifically mentioned you did sprinting only for training, and it sounds like only a few times. Try doing them several times a week and see if it makes a difference then.

No, I did not say I only did them a few times. I typically did them once a week for 9-10 months of the year for 25 years when I was racing. I would usually do an interval workout on Tuesday or Wednesday it I was running a race on the weekend. The type of interval workout I did was not something you wanted to do more than once a week. I would also do a long run, a fast tempo run of 5-7 miles, and slower recovery runs of 4-6 miles.

BTW, I usually did interval workouts on a track but I have also done them on a treadmill and a trail with a gradual incline. A good workout on a treadmill is 5-6 half mile intervals with quarter mile jogs in between.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:24 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Cleanses are the only real way to get rid of the excess around the belt line. Exercising wont get rid of what is living in your intestines, but cleanses do. There is no easy way either, it takes years to eliminate the things living in you.
This has to be one of the dumbest posts I have seen in a while. Thanks for the laugh!

Old 04-27-2019, 06:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Side bends with plates will not work.

If you want to lose love handles you need to activate/burn your obliques. Cross core exercises will be the key. I lost my love handles by eating healthier meals and activating my obliques/core on certain work-out days. Mon + Wed i do boxing or kickboxing.

Full Contact Twist, Kickboxing, Boxing, side planks, planks, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZTUUmK9R8

That makes a lot of sense. I'm doing exercises at home currently. Relocated due to a new job and no longer have the gym membership I had when I started this thread. I don't have the large pole, I'll have to find a substitute at home.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:01 PM

Default Yes, I'm at that age

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccover1 View Post
Sometimes we have hormone issues that cause weight gain. But I think the only tried and true way to rid yourself of body fat is to burn more calories than you take in. Only way to spot reduce that is effective is Lipo!
Check out the app LoseIt. It's free and has some helpful features that can allow you to hit your goal.

Good luck!
Yes, I'm at the age where hormones are running amok and metabolism has slowed down a lot. Regarding Lipo, I've heard of it but don't anyone personally who has had it done. I'm not keen on non-natural procedures for getting weight and body under control.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:08 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveSpringNewb View Post
Maybe this has been answered already? Hopefully so! Please don't fall for a woman will get bigger from using weights. Lifting weights is the most natural method you could do. The more lean muscle you have the better off you are as having muscle burns more fat/calories. When you exercise, you use muscle. This helps build muscle mass and muscle tissue burns more calories. Even at rest!

Strength training is important because it helps counteract muscle loss associated with aging.

First, you can not target your fat loss. Our bodies react and lose fat from all over. Any amount of decent exercise will make changes as long as you're fueling your body in a surplus or deficit.

It sounds like you need to know how many calories your taking in to determine what you need to do in order to loose weight. Once you understand what it takes to maintain your current body weight. Then, you can make adjustments. Learn about Macros (macronutrients) and how to use them for weight managements.

Thanks. From a suggestion on this thread from very early on, I downloaded an app and started tracking calories of what I put into my body. Turns out, i was over eating by almost 1,000 calories and I had no idea. Prior to tracking, I was under the assumption that I was supposed to eat 2,000 calories a day. Now, I'm aware that is way too many. For the calories I currently consume, my weight is right on target with what my tracker says I should weight. The issue is I want to lose about 10 lbs and a lot of it is in my mid-section and thighs. Currently, I have no gym membership so I work out a home mostly working out to cardio-videos on YT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness