Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...in-boston.html

The above is a thread from 2014 about Desiree (then Davila) Linden and her quest to win Boston. I don't follow the major marathons too much any more, but when I did she was one of my favorites. Desiree is 5'1", 97 pounds, and a giant of determination.

I was surprised to log on to letsrun.com and learn that she won Boston on Monday. She's the first American woman since 1985 to do it. Of course Boston is now overwhelmingly dominated by the Kenyans and Ethiopians, but this year apparently the weather did a number on them. It was very rainy and cold.

You can see the finish, and other highlights at the below link. There was also an incident where fellow top US runner Shalene Flanagan has to make a pit stop at a 'portable facility.' Desiree was running w/ her and actually waited for Shalene.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...nts-highlights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
That's interesting, that the African runners got slowed down by weather they weren't accustomed to. You'd think they'd spend some time training in that kind of weather, just so it wouldn't come as a shock. There was a group of Olympic runners from East Africa training in NM, where the terrain and conditions are very similar to their home turf. I don't know if there's still some kind of Olympic training camp outside of Albuquerque for those runners. But it sounds like they should train in Seattle or outside London somewhere, to get used to cold, rainy conditions.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:17 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
I know a few people who ran Boston on Monday. The weather was the worst is my understanding. In Texas, maybe even in Boston, it would have been an epic run day with people either staying home and making up their miles another day or people complaining the whole time and dragging through it. For me, the 40s is perfect running weather. It was the rain and the wind, I think, that got everyone.

Watching marathons, as a novice marathon runner, always makes me get emotional. I broke down at mile 21 during my last one and it looked like Des took over the lead around that time. Maybe one day I'll run like Des. Either way, watching people cross the finish line, no matter where they are from makes me so happy.

I've been watching Boston from the comfort of my work laptop for the last few years and the only other time I've gotten as emotional as I did on Monday was when Meb won in 2014 (I think?). Anyway. That was a hell of a day to finish a full marathon and even the very last person who finished is amazing.

Side note, the very last person to finish finished after midnight and the story is also good. https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...arathon-finish

Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 AM

609 posts, read 303,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's interesting, that the African runners got slowed down by weather they weren't accustomed to. You'd think they'd spend some time training in that kind of weather, just so it wouldn't come as a shock. There was a group of Olympic runners from East Africa training in NM, where the terrain and conditions are very similar to their home turf. I don't know if there's still some kind of Olympic training camp outside of Albuquerque for those runners. But it sounds like they should train in Seattle or outside London somewhere, to get used to cold, rainy conditions.
These conditions are very unusual for Boston so it really wouldn't make sense to prepare for them, if that were even possible. Cold temps on its own is not that bad, but cold + rain + 30 mph headwinds made it impossible for them to stay warm even when running hard.

Elite marathoners, especially Africans, have the best heat dissipation abilities due to low body fat and long skinny limbs (higher surface area-to-volume ratio). 99.9% of the time this trait is an advantage in running, but on Monday it turned out to be a disadvantage.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:01 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
Quote:
TYou'd think they'd spend some time training in that kind of weather, just so it wouldn't come as a shock. But it sounds like they should train in Seattle or outside London somewhere, to get used to cold, rainy conditions.
No, very very few races will ever be run in conditions like Boston last week so elite professional runners would be wasting time, energy and risking injury purposefully training in these conditions.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:

You can't seek out and find that weather for training. It was brutal. It wasn't just cold and rainy. It was torrential, bitter, and gusting winds.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:03 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
I go almost every year and am less than 2 miles from the finish line. I did not go to this one because of the weather.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:45 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Along with Linden's victory, American Tatyana McFadden won the women's wheelchair division:

https://wbznewsradio.iheart.com/cont...yana-mcfadden/.

This did not break a long drought of wins by Americans the way Desiree Linden's win did. In fact, this was the fifth time McFadden herself had won the race. It was a good day all around for American women, though.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
BTW, meant to include that Desiree Linden was not considered a future star after college, so she did not get the big shoe deal to support her running career. She instead went to train w/ the Hanson brothers in Minnesota. They own a chain of running shoe stores in MN, and do a lot of training of runners, both aspiring pros and duffers.

From what I remember reading, it was kind of a barracks-style life for aspiring runners. Training was year-round in MN, so Desiree got plenty of experience running in bad weather.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Television announcers the day of the race also said she'd done some training in Michigan. Between there and Minnesota she must have had plenty of experience running in the cold, but in Boston on race day it was pouring buckets, and they had a strong headwind. Really impressive to run and finish under those conditions, and even more impressive to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness