Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBACKAGAIN View Post
That's outstanding. Consider that one of the big work out fads going around right now is 100 push ups a day for 30 days.

You are way ahead of the game. IN all seriousness. Look at some of the results of doing nothing but 100 push ups a day for 30 days. The change is dramatic for those that have never exercised.
But for those of us who have exercised for years, it is a waste of time.

I do 5 sets of bench presses in my upper body workout. Doing nothing but 100 push ups a day for 30 days would actually make me weaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 12:49 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
But for those of us who have exercised for years, it is a waste of time.

I do 5 sets of bench presses in my upper body workout. Doing nothing but 100 push ups a day for 30 days would actually make me weaker.
I can't travel with free weights, but I can do push-ups anywhere. Natural weight exercise is portable and provides assurances you can always support yourself physically.

I used to be able to bench press 300 pounds fairly easily but am in much better overall health nowadays despite hardly ever using equipment. Perhaps I was "stronger" back then, but I didn't really need that extra muscle for anything other than trying to look good. This streamlined, thinner build is much easier to maintain and very functional.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I can't travel with free weights, but I can do push-ups anywhere. Natural weight exercise is portable and provides assurances you can always support yourself physically.

I used to be able to bench press 300 pounds fairly easily but am in much better overall health nowadays despite hardly ever using equipment. Perhaps I was "stronger" back then, but I didn't really need that extra muscle for anything other than trying to look good. This streamlined, thinner build is much easier to maintain and very functional.
I agree pushups are better than nothing. I've done pushups when I don't have access to a gym. I've had my basketball teams do pushups as part of their conditioning because we don't have time to go to a weightroom in a different building. I look at it as better than nothing.

As far as the second part of your post, whatever works for you. I will continue to lift until I can't.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:35 AM

55 posts, read 71,130 times
I guess 10 mins sounds alot easier than it is, at least for me. Just tried it and im not tired but theres a bit of fatigue

Old 07-21-2018, 11:02 AM

643 posts, read 329,283 times
I wonder how many of the "old fashioned" push ups could be done bt men now doing 100.

"old fashioned" meant straight back, down= chin /chin chest touches floor and up = arms locked.

Many people I see do push ups today, they do them rapidly but their body barely moves 2 inches up and down.

To me, that's like a guy doing bench press but only moving the weight up and down 2 inches each time.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:11 PM

703 posts, read 612,703 times
I have never ever seen anyone who claims to do a hellacious amount of push-ups, especially those exhibitions where they are trying to set some kind of record, do them -so called- "correctly". They are always lying or at least delusional about their numbers or their form. Watch any of these guys, including Jack LaLanne.

In the gym the self-appointed "form gurus" (I won't use the other pronoun) will scoff at others about not going "all the way down" or "back not straight." Then when you see them doing it? They don't go all the way down but say they are. And their ass is so high in the air they look like a safety pin. And usually all with a lot of "bouncy-bouncy" after the first several "good ones." Yes, there are some real gifted athletes out there. So, what? There's a reason why it's called "a gift."

The major point is: There is no universal "right way" to do push-ups. The only "form" issue you should adhere to, and this goes for any exercise, is: Don't do them in a way that would hurt yourself.

Herschel Walker, the football player famous for never working out with weights, he'd just do (allegedly) 1000 push-ups, 1000 sit-ups etc everyday, wrote a book about his workout routines. Even he said he never went lower than halfway down because that's where shoulder injuries start to come into play. And he never went all the way up to "lock-out" because he wanted his muscles and ligaments always under constant tension. So, someone who does 50 or 100 (allegedly) "perfect push-ups" (whatever that is) is better than Herschel Walker? Interesting. Very interesting.

I was discussing this with a Korean martial arts guy once about 15 yrs ago. I was looking to break back in to exercising after an injury and misdiagnosed heart problem. I told him I didn't think I could do push-ups because I couldn't "do them right." They "wouldn't count". His words were: If you push up. They all count! The only push-up that not count is the push-up you not do!"

I started doing push-ups and they all counted. They all worked. And they were all good.

P.S.: None of this is direct at anyone in this thread with personal push-up claims. It comes from 40 years of working out.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:16 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
I wonder how many of the "old fashioned" push ups could be done bt men now doing 100.

"old fashioned" meant straight back, down= chin /chin chest touches floor and up = arms locked.

Many people I see do push ups today, they do them rapidly but their body barely moves 2 inches up and down.

To me, that's like a guy doing bench press but only moving the weight up and down 2 inches each time.
That’s how I do my 100 every time. I just don’t lock fully out at the top because that’s worse on the joints.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-18-2018, 06:22 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I do pullups for reps much more often than pushups. Anyone who isn’t doing pullups is forfeiting the possibility for true functional strength.

Overhand or underhand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBACKAGAIN View Post
That's outstanding. Consider that one of the big work out fads going around right now is 100 push ups a day for 30 days.

You are way ahead of the game. IN all seriousness. Look at some of the results of doing nothing but 100 push ups a day for 30 days. The change is dramatic for those that have never exercised.

I think this post nails it. It is one of the "challenges" of doing 100 push-ups a day.. I did not know it is for only 30 days. I see some great detailed workout routines on Instagram. It is a different matter to actually do them.

I would agree that many people can't do 100 push-ups period. Probably can't even do five. Seriously. Then there is the matter of proper form.. Ask 10 people, get 10 different answers.

Hands close together (is harder)
Hands out wider ("wides")
"Superman push-ups"

Clapping push-ups (which I cannot do because the way I do them, I honestly feel I don't have enough time to re-place my hands)

I think everyone does a push-up differently. And some look and say "That isn't a push-up."

I have always subscribed to.. "If you complete the full extension, you are getting the benefit of the work-out." (Plus, it is only after about 30 that you "feel the burn" meaning that you've actually done something.)

Posting this is prompting me to do 30 right now. Then come back and type. That's 30 out of the 100 per day. Body confusion. Different times.... (Okay, I did 22.Doing it slower takes a LOT more energy.)

I think... For the normal person, that works, and puts out a ton of energy over the course of the day. If you can do anything close to 100 push-ups, you're doing great.

Now... Obviously, fitness buffs, military people, muscular people, I won't necessarily say young people.. that are already in peak physical condition.. may find it entertaining and amusing that someone is proud of being able to do 100 push-ups. But for a regular person.. I think it's glaringly obvious that most of the population cannot do this.

Consistent with the progressive building of strength. May not be the same as the size of muscle.

Long post, but. How did I do?

^^ Here is one, the styles differ slightly and there are more, yes, but here is one I may encounter if browsing long enough.

And here is another that would appeal to me more. Since it really describes a challenge.. not 100 push-ups that I can do if I wanted, but frequently don't feel like I have to.

And this one is intriguing, too. Though I do not have a bench.. Hmmm. Can "rest days" be skipped ?

Last edited by Creamer1; 10-18-2018 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYgGxETwgs[/youtube]

Old 10-18-2018, 07:53 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
I do pullups and chin-ups regularly depending on back or biceps day.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I do pullups and chin-ups regularly depending on back or biceps day.

Overhand or underhand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness