Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times

Advertisements

Asthma. If I gain even 10-lbs, I breathe like a smoker, just doing simple things like walking up stairs. I cannot take drugs, as I'm allergic to everything, so I need to be careful. I've had asthma attacks that were scarier than the times when strangers tried to pull me into a car.

And, I want to be active. When I see an elder, shuffling on a walker, it reinforces my need to put the chips back & avoid gaining weight. The bonus is I look better, as well. Being honest, that's equally important to me, being that I'm single & in my 40s. I'll have asthma 'til I die, but I hope not to be fat & single 'til I die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 05:18 PM

24,629 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Self esteem, health, and confidence.

Looking in the mirror naked, developing love handles, and a chubby face also did the trick.

It's insane how much fat goes to your face/neck. It's embarrassing and gross. I can't imagine how morbidly people live life, I wouldn't be able to leave the house.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:25 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I am not at all ashamed to say that vanity was and is my number one reason to stay at my weight. But the great side effect of that vanity is I eat healthy, exercise, and try and take good care of myself.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am not at all ashamed to say that vanity was and is my number one reason to stay at my weight. But the great side effect of that vanity is I eat healthy, exercise, and try and take good care of myself.
Can’t argue with that. There is a certain “vanity and ego” some people need for self motivation.

The added benefit is that you also feel good. It just releases so many endorphins when you workout.

Yeah it sucks, we’ll all be gone one day (excuse folks use to stay unhealthy), but I need to be healthy and feel good during my journey in life. I tried not workout out and I felt depressed. I simply can’t tolerate being some slob.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
I had stopped and grabbed a chic fil a biscuit and drink across the street from a meeting. The elevator was down and as I walked up the stairs I felt, a little clammy, felt like I was breathing thick air similar to the feeling before you throw up and felt like I was starting to sweat. My thought was- holy crap I'm having a heart attack before 40, everyone in my family makes it to 80. I decided to get in shape when I hit the 4th floor of the building (which has double height floors.) I also finished the biscuit...

The joke was on me because the AC system had failed on this sealed building in Charleston, SC in July. The resulting humidity/condensation had shorted the control panel for the elevator. And the whole building was miserable.

Ironically I decided to stick to my decision and joined a wellness program at the local medical university that was giving discounts to my employer. I might have waited 3 months to do that but I did start. So I ate better for a couple of months, started exercising after that, then started yoga, then returned to lifting weights at the one year mark since the exercise psychologist insisted a guy my size needed to maintain muscle mass or they would wither away.

When I joined the gym the trainer for the free sessions was pushing a hard sell so I had to tell him I'd already lost some weight, already had activity and was only there because of a breakfast biscuit and failed HVAC system. He seemed rather non-plussed.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:16 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
Does anyone else have a problem where what they see in the mirror is different than pictures? I knew I had gained 20 pounds over the past 10 years but didn't think it was that much of a problem until I recently saw a picture from a graduation. I thought I looked great until I saw that pic.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Does anyone else have a problem where what they see in the mirror is different than pictures? I knew I had gained 20 pounds over the past 10 years but didn't think it was that much of a problem until I recently saw a picture from a graduation. I thought I looked great until I saw that pic.

I have the exact same problem I don't see the weight in the mirror. I only see it in photos, and those were really painful to see.

That pain is what caused me to stop the binge eating and now I am 14 lbs lower than my recent high mark.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:34 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
seeing my boyfriends ex and not believing the he's over her.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:31 PM

Another reason is just look at our society. We’ve blown up

Looking at people everywhere who have “given up” on their health is a very strong motivational tool to get back in the gym or stay in the gym.

I’ll be honest, sometimes you’ll even see people in the gym who look like they waited too long to finally go again

Old 05-26-2018, 10:02 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Vanity played a huge role.

But so do health issues. I'm a size 4, which is a very reasonable size, but I keep pushing my exercise routine because it is making such a difference with my health.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness