Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 PM

301 posts, read 189,087 times

Advertisements

My cell use at the gym is two-fold - as many others have said, I use Spotify to stream my playlists that I like, depending on what I'm working that day. I use Bluetooth headphones so that I'm not "attached." I've also recently started following a training guide through an app called Aflete and it's brand new to me, so I'm going back and checking my lists quite often and marking my progress and adding notes, etc. It's quite helpful when you're new to lifting weights like I am (I'm a recovering cardio-Barbie), because the app tracks improvements and counts reps/sets and has a video demo of each exercise.

I'd be lost without my phone at the gym, frankly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 12:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Pretty tough to exercise when you can't get on the equipment because someone is talking or texting on their phone while sitting on it.
I was waiting on a leg curl machine waiting on a woman who was talking on her phone. When she was done she called another person. After that she called another person. I gave up and moved on.
You could not just ask the person to move?

Old 07-16-2018, 02:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I have enjoyed the responses. I like listening to music, but I use a small athletic band I pod. I know people at the gym so I feel cut off if I am walking around listening to music with ear pieces. Mostly, people here have agreed and identified the cell phone users that are extreme, and inconsiderate of others, by sitting on machines looking at their phones, talking on the phone while working out in the workout area, taking pictures of themselves (LOL) while workout out.
For me, it is largely about consideration of others and cutting oneself off from everybody else like your are in your own world.
its fine for people to sit on their machines and look at their phones between sets. the problem is when they are doing it for an excessive amount of time where it is more than just rest time between sets. ive had some elderly people seem annoyed by it because they seem to think that someone should sit down with a blank stare on their face between sets.

there is nothing wrong with cutting yourself off from everyone else in the gym. not everybody wants to talk to other people to complain about the many things in life that disturb them. they just want to exercise in peace and leave.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:12 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You could not just ask the person to move?
Hard to do when they are on speaker talking a mile a minute. Maybe it's just me but I didn't think she would keep calling people. I thought I would just let her quickly finish but that was not the case.
I have asked people how many more sets they had as a subtle hint and had them say they weren't done and gone back to talking on the phone.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:15 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its fine for people to sit on their machines and look at their phones between sets. the problem is when they are doing it for an excessive amount of time where it is more than just rest time between sets. ive had some elderly people seem annoyed by it because they seem to think that someone should sit down with a blank stare on their face between sets.

there is nothing wrong with cutting yourself off from everyone else in the gym. not everybody wants to talk to other people to complain about the many things in life that disturb them. they just want to exercise in peace and leave.
Do you consider excessive more than a minute?

I feel guilty if I sit on a machine. I've had people ask if they can work in on bench presses. It has never been a problem adding or taking off some plates.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM

I used to say there needs to be signs posted all around the gym about gym edicate. Much of it is common sense but in the last 15 years many new and young people don't have it.
I always try to let someone work in with me if they look like they are waiting.
Often I will ask if I can work in if I see the person taking lengthy breaks in between sets on a machine. Sometimes they will say no then go back to fiddling with their phone.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Do you consider excessive more than a minute?

I feel guilty if I sit on a machine. I've had people ask if they can work in on bench presses. It has never been a problem adding or taking off some plates.
That's the right thing to do . The only time I won't ask them if they want to jump in is if there will be a lot of plate shuffling. For example if they look like they will only use 2 plates on the leg press and I am using 16, then it's kind of a pain.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:42 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
I go to the gym about 3 times a week for about 1 hour each time. I lift weights and I run a mile or two each time. I do dumbells, dead weight exercises like dips, and core exercises - back extensions. On the days I am not at the gym I ride my mountain bike or walk or swim. Fitness and sports have been part of my life since I was young.

I put my phone down when I first enter the gym (a very nice gym) and leave it with my keys to focus on my exercise until I finish my workout. The gym has signs saying no cell phone use for consideration of others. People walk all over with cell phones while exercising. Always looking at the cell phone while exercising. Some of it is even humorous to me, one guy always walks around no matter where he is looking at his cell phone and wearing earphones as well, so he cannot hear anything in the gym. It's a wonder he remembers what he did that day.

To me exercise is part mental. We have to focus and concentrate on what we are doing when exercise. This is an important part of training and even exercising to stay in shape.

What do you all think of this that exercise regularly?
My gym plays horrible music. I mean, music I hate so much that if I didn't have my phone with me pumping better music into my ears I couldn't stand to be in there for more than a minute or two. I usually wear it on an armband, though. The people looking at facebook between sets? I don't get that at all.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:56 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
How bout you mind your own business and let us that want to focus on our workouts and are serious about exercise leave our cell phones at the door.
Aren't you minding everyone else's business? As in "I've decided that everyone should leave their phone at the door"?

Nobody is stopping you from leaving your phone and focusing on your workout. Just don't stop me from bringing my phone if I want to.

Deal?

Old 07-16-2018, 05:05 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
several times I've seen groups of millennials at a nice restaurant all looking at their phones instead of enjoying their present company. last week we sat next to a 30 something, obviously married by their wedding rings, couple at a sushi restaurant who barely spoke and spent the entire time staring at their phones. Last time I was at the doctor for a check up, the waiting room was filled with people yakking loudly on their phone while sick people and the rest us were subjected to a loud conversation of their bad date the previous night, problems with their husband, a call to mom. etc, etc, etc.

Your experience at the gym isn't unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness