Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:47 PM

24,187 posts, read 9,112,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
It is just one hour or so to focus
Not for me, I’m at the gym for 2-3 hours and I need my music (Spotify). So thanks but no thanks, I’ll keep my cell phone on me at all times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 03:03 PM

951 posts, read 1,133,992 times
There are a lot of fitness apps now, so I bring my phone for this reason. The app shows me how to do the exercises, how many sets and reps, and it keeps track of the entire program I’m using.

Other reasons:
timer
music

Can’t believe OP doesn’t understand how useful a phone can be at the gym.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:41 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,128,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
There used to be a TV at my gym until they got aerobics equipment that has individual TVs. Someone made the decision that weightlifters don't watch TV.

They also got rid of the music. The explanation was that people complained about whatever music was played. They said some songs were inappropriate. The gym is now totally quiet.
I would love a quiet gym.
They play crappy electronic music at my gym, forcing me to use my phone and headphones to drown out that atrocity.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:23 AM

5,729 posts, read 17,536,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I only care about it when it prevents me from using a machine b/c the person is sitting there watching his social media feeds for 3 minutes between sets. My unscientific but personal experience over the years of working out at gyms is that people who use cell phones (for whatever reasons...stopwatch, music, calls, texting, zombie-ing) take MUCH longer between sets than those who don't.
Nothing worse than waiting to use a machine and having some clown just sitting there scrolling through his playlist or social media feed for 3 minutes. Get your set in and get off the equipment so that someone else can use it.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:58 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,891,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
How bout you mind your own business and let us that want to focus on our workouts and are serious about exercise leave our cell phones at the door.
Wow, so because I don't carry around a second device solely to play my music when my phone is PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF STORING AND PLAYING MP3 FILES, that makes me not "serious about exercise."

Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM

1,203 posts, read 828,092 times
As an ex-fitness manager, my only request I made was that people don't talk so loud on their phones that it distracted from my trainers giving instructions to their clients (and pretty much everyone was respectful of that). If cell phone usage is a distraction to someone, I would say they need to work on their ability to tune things out (and if you're truly serious about your workouts, it shouldn't bother you). There are distractions everywhere and cell phone use is now a way of life, so get used to it. What was always more disturbing to me were the weight droppers. And no, I'm not talking about dropping heavy dumbbells on the floor when they are bench pressing (that is understandable for safety reasons and the floors were rubberized to absorb much of that sound). However, I did not tolerate people dropping barbells. And there was an occasional meat head that would try to draw attention to themselves by doing it. I basically told them if they were strong enough to lift it, they were strong enough to put it down without the slamming. And if they continued with it, I would revoke their gym membership. I always found intentional weight slamming of that sort, much more distracting than any cell phone usage.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 07-15-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 10:24 AM

24,187 posts, read 9,112,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
They play crappy electronic music at my gym, forcing me to use my phone and headphones to drown out that atrocity.
The fact that you didn’t already use headphones during a workout, regardless of what music your gym plays, makes me question if you even go to the gym.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:50 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,195,918 times
What burns me is their sitting on a machine that I wasn't too use, texting. Um...excuse me? "I'm between sets"
Gym protocol? Hello?
But it really boils down to staff not policing or enforcing rules.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
At LA Fitness they play upscale pop music softly enough that you barely hear it. (I'm pretty sure this is corporate policy.) When I have my earphones on all I hear is my own music. I think this is a great compromise; those who want music can bring it, or listen to the background music. For those who don't want music the volume is low enough that only a nit picker wouldn't be able to simply ignore it.

What do you who want TV for weight lifting want? One TV per position with closed captions? A few TVs in the weight lifting area with no sound? And who picks the TV channel if the TV covers an entire area? (or multiple TVs) It makes me laugh to think of the fight breaking out when some want Fox News and some want CNN. (I suppose a few TVs showing different channels with captions on would work, you can stare at your preferred channel. I don't see any practical way to set up TVs at each position. They'd have to bring in stands or some other way of mounting. Treads, steppers and ellipticals are large machines with a very obvious and easy mounting point for a small TV. Note that none of the TVs at the LA Fitness locations near me can produce any sound at all (so as to not create cacophony) so you either read the captions or jack in you earphones.

I watch the news with CC when I'm on the treadmill (and simultaneously listen to my music). When I head for the weights I enjoy people watching, especially people of the opposite gender. I think the gym is a great place for people watching, and I've got my music and my reps.

As far as I care they could get rid of all the TVs although it's something to look at while doing treadmill etc. Note that typical use of treadmills etc. is that most people use the machines 20, 30, maybe 45 minutes so it's reasonable to give them something to look at while boringly walking and walking and walking.

I switch weight machines maybe every 10 minutes so my surroundings are always changing. I don't need TV as long as I have my music and some people to watch.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:15 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,040,389 times
I've come to accept that people are just going to carry their phones with them, but common courtesy would suggest getting up off the machine if you're going to be playing with the phone. Do your sets/reps and get the hell off!

I understand that some people like to listen to "their" music, as if the music the gym plays and the general noise of the gym and people around them isn't enough. I personally like the ambient sounds (but can do without the obnoxious scream-grunts), but consider anything on my person to be a hindrance. One shirt, one shorts, two socks, two shoes...that's it. Doesn't matter if I'm doing a 1 hour workout a the gym or an 8 mile run, I do not want things that will hinder my movement, weigh me down, or are likely to fall off.

Also, the distracted walking is a bit of a problem sometimes. They gym is crowded with other people and has plenty of trip and bump hazards.

Quote:
What burns me is their sitting on a machine that I wasn't too use, texting. Um...excuse me? "I'm between sets"
Gym protocol? Hello?
But it really boils down to staff not policing or enforcing rules.
Everyone's afraid to make waves. What interest does a guy who makes $11/hr. working at the gym have to actually enforce common courtesy? Perhaps even management is afraid of getting sued. Everyone gets easily angered these days and "flips out", and no one wants to see that.

Just look at the disaster that movie theaters have become if you want a window into where the rest of society is headed. No one is allowed to kick people out or tell people that they're in the wrong, the offenders will rarely acknowledge that they were wrong and will keep doing what they were doing anyway. The confronting individual ends up looking like the jerk rather than the hero. Again, there's just no incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness