Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times

Advertisements

OP, is it that you have a moral objection and don't want to be around it, or just that the smell of cooking meat bothers you? If it's the latter, go in your room and close the door when they're cooking. Spray an air freshener around or light a scented candle. Or just take note of when they do their cooking and plan to run errands during that time. If it's a matter of not wanting to be around meat, you can work around it. If you really can't stand to be around people who cook/consume meat, I think you might want to look into living only with other vegans (or maybe vegetarians as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 11:54 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
By moving in with other vegetarians. You cannot stop them from cooking and eating what they want unless you are paying ALL the bills, including food.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:47 PM

9,385 posts, read 8,356,698 times
I can't believe this thread made it to 20 pages.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:41 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I can't believe this thread made it to 20 pages.
LOL, I know. I just noticed it was still here. A quick click shows that the OP never returned to the thread and hasn't posted on City-Data since 8-04-2018.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:45 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, I know. I just noticed it was still here. A quick click shows that the OP never returned to the thread and hasn't posted on City-Data since 8-04-2018.
Then I'll squeeze in my response before this thread is closed -

I didn't read the entire thread, but I simply do not understand the original question. What other people cook has nothing to do with your diet, unless you are a cohesive unit and all cook for each other. If that's the case so much for cohesion. Don't like it? Move, because it would be rude to even bring something like that up.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Supports my original theory that this was a troll thread.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Then I'll squeeze in my response before this thread is closed -

I didn't read the entire thread, but I simply do not understand the original question. What other people cook has nothing to do with your diet, unless you are a cohesive unit and all cook for each other. If that's the case so much for cohesion. Don't like it? Move, because it would be rude to even bring something like that up.
Believe it or not, some vegans won't allow any meat products in a fridge along with their vegan products. My niece has her own fridge alongside her hubbie's fridge. To each their own I guess.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:18 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Believe it or not, some vegans won't allow any meat products in a fridge along with their vegan products. My niece has her own fridge alongside her hubbie's fridge. To each their own I guess.
I am not vegan, but my daughter is. She's loosened up a bit since she's started dating a meat-eating chef, but I do understand that when one does not see meat as food but rather a chunk of a dead animal, they don't want a chunk of dead animal in their fridge with their food the same way other people don't want live bait worms in their refrigerators alongside their food or the same way someone would not want road kill in their refrigerator.

This is not an argument over whether someone should eat meat or not, but just putting the perspective of the vegan out there.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
And that's fine if someone wants to set things up like that in their own home.

But it's still unreasonable for someone like the OP to move into a roommate situation and expect everyone else to change their eating habits to suit his or her preference.

I have no idea if this was a troll thread, or someone who sincerely expected an outpouring of support for their narrowmindedness and disappeared when it was quickly clear that wasn't forthcoming.

But I think the reason the thread is still going now is because unfortunately, that degree of entitlement strikes a chord with many people because it's not all that uncommon.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:49 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
I am not vegan, but my daughter is. She's loosened up a bit since she's started dating a meat-eating chef, but I do understand that when one does not see meat as food but rather a chunk of a dead animal, they don't want a chunk of dead animal in their fridge with their food the same way other people don't want live bait worms in their refrigerators alongside their food or the same way someone would not want road kill in their refrigerator.

This is not an argument over whether someone should eat meat or not, but just putting the perspective of the vegan out there.

HA!!
I am reminded of when I was a kid, and my parents referred to a T-bone as "a chunk of old dead cow" and a venison roast as "a chunk of old dead deer", and a drumstick as a"a piece of old dead chicken", etc.
I still use those terms now and then, when I have a juvenile desire to gross somebody out.
It often works quite well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness