Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:01 PM

42 posts, read 35,419 times

Advertisements

Is there something I’m missing in form or just all in my head.?

I am in pretty good shape 6’3 225lbs. I do fasted cardio a few days a week and do a typical 3 day split of lifting weights and have been doing so about a year and a half . However I have a PT test comming up in a few months with some specific parameters and I can’t understand how someone in shape , lifting weights building muscle I can’t do push-ups ?

I have to do 29 push-ups without dropping down out of form . After the 15-20 range idk if it’s in my head or not but I start overthinking that I’m not there yet and I physically can’t do anymore .

How is it that I can lift and be making gains in weight but something as simple as a push-up there are peers don’t the same test that are scrawny no muscle , dad bods abs skinny fat that can do 30-40 and I can’t even do 25-30? How can I fix this immediately

I also need to do 38 sit ups in a minute how can I train sit ups without having someone holding my feet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 08:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Pushups are an endurance thing, you can bench the moon and still have rather low pushup numbers. There are a few good programs out there to increase like grease the groove and 100 pushups (not recalling the exact names). Plus pushups uses a combination of muscles that lifting will not have you use.

For the situps, is this an LEO test? I seen where they require just the elbows to touch, and I seen where they require the entire movement. Worst case having the entire movement, just prop your feet under furniture or something, or in a gym, use a barbell with some plates. The better you get, the less your need to have someone hold your feet down, that us needed when you are insufficient in situps.

You should easily be able to hit those numbers in the few months you have.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:41 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Ability to do many pushups has little to do with pure strength. It is a skill that must be done regularly in order for your muscles to get endurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZiqFbsJ0yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjaGS9kGBCU

Old 07-31-2018, 09:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNy92 View Post

I am in pretty good shape 6’3 225lbs. I do fasted cardio a few days a week and do a typical 3 day split of lifting weights and have been doing so about a year and a half . However I have a PT test comming up in a few months with some specific parameters and I can’t understand how someone in shape , lifting weights building muscle I can’t do push-ups ?

I have to do 29 push-ups without dropping down out of form . After the 15-20 range idk if it’s in my head or not but I start overthinking that I’m not there yet and I physically can’t do anymore .

How is it that I can lift and be making gains in weight but something as simple as a push-up there are peers don’t the same test that are scrawny no muscle , dad bods abs skinny fat that can do 30-40 and I can’t even do 25-30? How can I fix this immediately

I also need to do 38 sit ups in a minute how can I train sit ups without having someone holding my feet
For the sake of comparison, I'm 6'4" and 225lbs. I lift weights but rarely do pushups. I usually do 5-6 sets of bench presses of 5-7 reps. I'm sure I can get down right now and do 40 pushups with perfect form.

How much can you bench press? For example, when you lift weights, how many sets, how many reps, and with how much weight? There should be some correlation between your bench press and ability to do pushups. Beyond a certain number, it is just a matter of endurance. You need the specificity of doing pushups but I would also keep doing bench presses and other weightlifting exercises. Give yourself a day of rest between workout sessions so your muscles can grow and get stronger.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:09 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
I can make you feel better, maybe;

I am 6' and weight 160 lbs. Can only bench 135-145 lbs for 5 reps but can do 30 push ups very fast without any problems. Somehow body weight exercises are easy for me, including pull ups, dips/etc.

I guess everybody is different. BUt I also think if you only dropped 5 lbs in weight, you will do more push ups.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
For the situps, if you have a mat at home you can tuck your feet under the couch. If you're still moving the couch, have someone lay down and watch the boob tube while you're doing it.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:03 AM

42 posts, read 35,419 times
Yeah I guesse I don’t quite understand why I’m so weak with push-ups .

Maybe has a little to do with I had bicep tendonitas in the past

Old 08-02-2018, 11:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Yeah I guesse I don’t quite understand why I’m so weak with push-ups .

Maybe has a little to do with I had bicep tendonitas in the past
I misspoke in my earlier post. I thought I could do 40 perfect form pushups but tried it for the first time in a long time, and was only able to do 30. I know it is an endurance thing since I usually only do 5-7 reps on the bench press.

Don't forget the recovery between your workout sessions. You won't make gains without recovery time.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:55 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:

You can't immediately, fortunately two months is quite far from immediately.

Stablizers in the abdomen, back and serratus go. The midsection sags, the shoulders wing out. You're done doing push ups. They're mostly developed by time under pressure rather than pounds of pressure. Also more dependent on plane of movement and leverage than pounds, which is why overhead press hits the serratus more than the bench press even though the weight is lower. The best way to train push ups is to do push ups. Wide grip hits the serratus muscles more. Plank exercises hit the core more. You can use those to target your weak areas. Do wide grip until failure, standard to failure, narrow to failure in immediate succession, for example. As the serratus muscles fatigue and fail and form starts to get sloppy, you immediately move to an easier exercise and push them to failure again, and then do it one more time with narrow grip. The plank is the absolute most boring exercise in the world but if you can't hold a plank for at least wo minutes you're not going to be able to do a lot of push ups. So spend some time doing boring planks until you can hold it for two or three minutes. It's tougher than it sounds.

Since it's a PT test anchored sit-ups still have a point. Anchored sit ups over-emphasize the hips. They're actually a better hip exercise than a core exercise. You don't need to do them at all but if you're specifically trying to maximize your anchored sit ups, well, train anchored sit ups. Stick your feet under a couch. For a better exercise do unanchored sit ups. They still hit the hips which is important since it's a PT test but put more load throughout the core as well which is overall more beneficial. Bend your knees less, put your feet farther apart, let your toes come up but keep your feet down on the ground and do sit ups. Use your arms or weights to increase or decrease difficult. Bring your arms in over your chest to make it easier than behind your head or out overhead to make it more difficult. If you've got enough core strength and endurance to do 38 unanchored situps, doing 38 anchored ones is not an issue at all. That said, if you just want to do anchored sit ups, do anchored sit ups.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-02-2018 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-04-2018, 06:23 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Biceps is not active during pushup. Biceps is primary forearm supinator. This is no part of pushup.
Here's my reasonable guess.
You are TOO HEAVY. 225 lb is hefty weight to move by coordinated muscle effort.

Next - depends on arm length and entire arm placement during pushup. Ultimately, like it or not, it's simple physics and levers. I have long arms and my bench press or pushup always sucked. Lever are levers.
How to learn how to do something fast?

Mao Tse Tong in his Red Book said: In order to learn how to swim, one has to swim. Though it sounds moronically simple, it is a simple fact. So do pushups and situps. Which, again, you are too heavy for both. Yeah, someone above my post said I can do yey many of them but... he weighs 160lb and that 65 lb less, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness