Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:35 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Hard to say what the Gym policies are.

Places like Planet Fitness have no deadlifts, and "no lunk" behavior.
Some places are firm about weight clanking.

Dunno what this place is like.

Both those people seem just terrible.
What did the kid do that makes him "terrible"? Are you serious?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:15 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
First of all, dropping weights at any gym other than Planet Fitness is completely acceptable and normal. Assuming that the ground has rubber mats and the weights are designed to be dropped (i.e. bumper plates), then sometimes it's necessary to drop in the case of a missed overhead lift, and in some cases, such as a deadlift, it is simply part of the movement when the weight gets heavy.

The sound of a barbell being dropped is normal in my gym, and is my cell phone ringtone!

Having said that though - this video almost appears staged. This almost seems like an advertisement for Planet Fitness - the guy who comes over seems like their perfect idea of a "lunk" - totally over-the-top, angry meathead who goes to absurd extremes to yell at the kid for something petty. I agree that it is normal to video your form when lifting - but it's convenient that the mean dude is also perfectly captured in the camera shot.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:32 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
That dude needs his ass kicked.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Hmmm... Why was there a camera trained at the lifter?

He wasn't lifting loudly. He was dropping weights loudly that's for sure. Which is not a prt of good technique, to be honest. And it can be very annoying.
His technique wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. Just how quiet are you supposed to be when performing the deadlift?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:36 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Though I have no credibility "around these parts", I know very well what eccentric release is. And its difference between that and dropping weights. I happen to do eccentric release every gym session. You will never hear me clunk or drop so violently that barbells rattle and dangle on the bar. That is rude by any gym standard.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:54 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Though I have no credibility "around these parts", I know very well what eccentric release is. And its difference between that and dropping weights. I happen to do eccentric release every gym session. You will never hear me clunk or drop so violently that barbells rattle and dangle on the bar. That is rude by any gym standard.
Then you are doing it wrong. Hell, unless you screw tight the plates, they are going to rattle against each other no matter what you do. The deadlift is just "controlled" eccentric and nothing more, so just short of an outright drop. If you are setting it down so slowly that it makes hardly a sound, you are doing it very, very wrong (or you are using a weight so light, you are not really lifting for strength). Feel free to browse YouTube for the correct way to do it. Hell, below are some links for you. At that, it is not rude or even close to it by any gym standard of any gym I have ever been to, and I have been to quite a few in my 30+ years of lifting throughout the world. If a gym does not want the noise, they will have rules specifically against such lifts, and they maybe will not have the equipment for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXfzWe-6t0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyRiw2b8yI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LhYspMFUmY

I see why the poster said "you have no credibility", you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:00 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
He didn't restrain himself - he was bullied by a bigger, older A-hole. Retaliation would probably have resulted in beat down and he knew it. I hope this bully gets kicked out of this gym after this goes viral.

This video was hilarious. And even more hilarious is everyone saying "great restraint", ect.....
Like you said, he was worried retailiation would've resulted in a beatdown. He had his set interrupted, had hands put on him, got pushed, told to leave, and he grabbed his tuff and split LMAO

He will likely want to learn how to fight now. It usually takes something like this to get people in the spirit.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:20 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
He will likely want to learn how to fight now. It usually takes something like this to get people in the spirit.
Yes, we were just talking about roid rage.

The idea that a fight was some proper outcome to this incident is somewhere between sick, sad and a hundred years out of date, no matter how muscle-macho-boy the environment.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:21 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post

This video was hilarious. And even more hilarious is everyone saying "great restraint", ect.....
Like you said, he was worried retailiation would've resulted in a beatdown. He had his set interrupted, had hands put on him, got pushed, told to leave, and he grabbed his tuff and split LMAO

I said it b/c I'd have clocked him with a plate, but I'm the sort who enjoys putting down a bully.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:53 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
A true deadlift is done with the knees at least slightly bent and then straightened on the uplift, with one hand in an under-grip and one in an over-grip.

The version of this lift I do, is with straight legs and both hands in an over-grip. Not as much weight can be done, as with a bent-leg deadlift, but I think it works better for building my back strength. It could be dangerous to the back, if you didn't have many years of preparation, leading up to higher poundage. I do not drop the weight with each repetition, but set it down gently, with only a small sound and not nearly as much hesitation between each lift, as was shown in the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness