Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 05:32 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNy92 View Post
I am starting my training for a pt test I need to pass in order to start my lawn enforcement career .

I need to do push-ups , sit ups and a 1.5 mile run .

My pushups are terrible I can’t do more than 25 my arms burn out .

I do lift weights a few days a week and maintain some cardio and would consider myself in pretty good shape and I eat relatively clean .

How can I incorporate the specific things such as push ups , sit ups into my weight lifting regimine?

I don’t want to just give up on weight lifting and specifically train push ups and sit ups everyday . So what’s a good way to incorporate all of these .

I need to get my pushups into the 35-40 range and sit ups 40-50. Not worried about the cardio portion
Honestly, focus and target your efforts on performing the events in the test. This will not only train your movement patterns for the test as well as endurance, but will prepare you mentally as well. The weights will be there after the test....

When I was in the Marines, I lifted, but when I knew the PFT was around the corner, I stopped the weights and focused on running (3 miles) sit-ups with some pushps and pullups. I would do this after duty when I would normally lift. Some days i just ran, others just pull ups and sit ups. We also had morning PT a few times a week as well, but that was mostly slow paced company runs that barely broke a sweat.

With my program, I always got 20 pullups, 20 situps and 20-21 min in the 3 mile. I may have had a 300 PFT score once...When I hung on to my lifting, my scores were bad and my run suffered the most.

This is just my own opinion and what worked for me. And yes, factor in recovery and rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 06:05 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNy92 View Post
Neither
What law enforcement agency is this for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
'Regimine'? 'Lawn enforcement'?

I would be very concerned if anyone gave you a badge and a gun.
LOL. Seriously.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:50 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times

Old 08-07-2018, 08:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In between sets do push-ups and sit-ups during your minute rest.
What?

No.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
What?

No.

What? In between bicep curls drop and do 20 sit-ups.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-07-2018, 10:23 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
What? In between bicep curls drop and do 20 sit-ups.
Again, no. That's a recipe for blowing yourself out and compromising other lifts.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:49 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:

It takes some muscle to beat a stubborn lawn into shape!

Old 08-08-2018, 03:42 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default you beat me to it

Quote:

Weight training is the last thing needing focus.

I used to run cross country with the LAPD when I was in high school. Those guys might have been five foot by five foot by two feet, but they were usually AHEAD of me!

And that was without carrying all that gear.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:47 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
LOL ok who is going to have just a 1 minute rest between sets?! And if they were, doing more stuff during your rest would kind of defeat the purpose :P If you're doing anything more than like 5 pound dumbbells, assuming you're seriously weight lifting, you are resting 2-3 minutes between sets, unless you're doing absolute maximum weight and then 5-8 minutes is actually about the sweet spot. It takes a full 5 minutes to recover from a one rep maximum lift, and I don't chance it, so I usually make it 6-7 just to be sure. Even if I'm doing high reps, though, 3 minutes is a good recommendation for rest time so you're giving each set your all. You don't want to do anything strenuous during that rest time. Walking lightly over to get a drink or something, fine, but if you're moving a bunch of plates around you may need to extend the rest period to after the plates are in their proper place.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:

I am with Mikala. (and the bicep curls and sit ups between sets). It will help him with his Regimine for Lawn enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness