Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:46 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
Most doctors know nothing about nutrition or exercise. They are not trained in those areas. They studied anatomy, pills and surgeries. That is how they earn their money. Ceylon cinnamon along with CBD will help your joints. Stop eating animals and dairy, your inflamation will go down and your joints will feel better.
Great advice, assuming animals does not include seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:50 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
So I've worked out my whole life, doing a mix of hockey and light weightlifting/calisthenics. The last few years I quit hockey but still do some light weights/pushups/pullups etc. a couple times per week.

I've developed a few bad joints. (but not that you could directly attribute to the exercises. They started to hurt when I was doing other things.) The shoulder doctor said that "at your age" people shouldn't be doing ANY weights or pushups anymore. I should just be doing cardio/swimming/yoga. Another doctor was horrified that I was deadlifting 100 lbs once or twice a week for reps. I thought I was being extremely conservative. I feel like I need to keep up a minimum of strength and muscle tone because I sit at a desk all day long.

I thought most guys can keep doing the basics a couple times per week until at least their 50s. Any advice?

Thanks.

Some doctors say weightlifting is the best exercise to combat thinning bones and muscular atrophy that happens when you get older.

SOunds like one guy's opinion without much basis in medical studies or fact. BTW I see plenty of 50 plus guys pumping iron at my gym.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Find a new doctor. Seriously.
This ^^^

Old 09-13-2018, 07:16 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Weight bearing exercises are good for bone health and strength.
Cardio based exercises are good for heart health and circulatory system. It also helps with muscle endurance.

You need to elaborate more on ""i've developed a few bad joints."" Not sure if you did as i am going on the 1st page.

I am 33 going on 34 and i have been lifting weights since Oct 2002 but i don't have any joint problems.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Find a new doctor. Seriously.
This ^^^
Maybe or maybe not. It's understandable that people at a fitness forum would be quick to criticize doctors who recommend against working out with weights. However, the OP did say he's got some joint problems.

The OP hasn't been back to this thread in a while, but if he does check back, the first advice I'd give would be for him to clarify whether his doctors recommended against weight training specifically for the OP at this time, or really meant that no one over the age of 35 should use weights.

If these docs really believe that 35 is the limit for lifting weights, then they do need to get with the times. If they truly recommend no lifting for anyone over 35, then they're discouraging something that's not only okay for people well over 35, but actually beneficial.

However, if they are discouraging the OP from using weights because of the OP's joint issues, there may be good reason for that in the OP's particular case. You really need to know which it is before being quick to automatically say the OP needs to get a new doc and that's that.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:52 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Lifting weights in my 30's is different than lifting in my teens and 20's. Felt invincible back then. I'm 32 and notice more joint pain and muscle strains. I have a physical job in a hospital that requires frequently moving people that are overweight and immobile. Turmeric does help reduce my pain but not the stiffness. I still want to exercise but fear that I'll injure myself. A few months ago I had a two day period that I could barely move my arm and had it in a homemade sling. I think I strained my rotor cuff from doing shoulder exercises. After that I developed back pain from my job. If 32 is like this, I'm not looking forward to 40. All I do now is workout on the arc trainer and do light weight lifting once a week. I've been whole food plant based vegan for 13 months now so it's easy to control my weight. I do miss the intense workouts I use to do however.
I know for me, not sure how it is for everyone else, moving almost anything heavy is horrible for me. I decided after my last move I don't care how buff I look, I'm paying other people to move ANYTHING heavy. My health is too important to me and I have plenty of money, so I'm not going to get cute and start lifting heavy objects just to save a buck. The awkwardness of most heavy things makes them a real pain in the butt to move, even if I lift a lot more weight than that. If you're moving heavy people around and all of that, I'm not surprised you could get injured like that. I doubt it's your body, though, it's probably just awkward angles and distribution of weight.

I'm 35 and I feel more invincible now than I did at 22. I was doing a lot of weight at 22, but nowhere near as much as I can do now (and I turn 36 this year). Not to mention I seemed to get injured more frequently when I was younger, either because of not knowing my own limits, cheating on form, or doing exercises that just don't work well with my body. As I've gotten older and smarter, I've just simply cut out ANY exercise no matter how "great" it is that has a history of injuring me. Pullovers, for instance, are a nice back workout but they are horrible for my shoulders and I partially tore my rotator cuff when I was younger doing heavy pullovers. It took about 3 years before my shoulder stopped "clicking" and the strength was completely rebuilt. There may be some scar tissue still there, I'm not honestly sure, but I feel no difference in either shoulder now and I'm benching 100 pounds more than I was when it felt awkward.

I actually feel more aches and pains and my body feels way worse when I'm not working out. Even a week without working out and by the end of it, I swear I feel weird issues here or there that I don't ever notice when I'm actively working out. Also in general the harder I work out, the less sore I am, because my body is accustomed to the stress. If I take a few weeks off (sometimes because of a minor issue or a flu or something), when I come back suddenly I get so sore after a basic workout it's annoying haha.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 348 times
Slapshot, That's surprising to me you were told not to lift weights. I thought us late-30 year olds wanted to build muscle. Benefits the joints and the like. The way I understood it was lifting weights to build the muscle and then the high rep/bodyweight workouts to burn fat. Definitely a long road regardless. I'm looking to get inspired by a program again. Did some research and found a few ideas. I've whittled it down, but not sure yet. Anyone have any input on these. As I said before, I'm looking to find that perfect mix:
[url]https://healthenhanced.fitness.blog/[/url]
[url]https://www.fitbit.com/fitbit-premium[/url]
[url=http://www.c25kfree.com/]C25K – 5K Trainer. The #1 Couch to 5K running app on iPhone and Android.[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness