Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 12:17 PM

51 posts, read 43,534 times

Advertisements

I'm pushing 35. 5 10 male weigh 200 lbs even. In high school I had a gift. I could tear up a 5k. Not sure my time but it was good. Life happened and I got fat. 2 years ago my 8 yr old got into running. We ran for 6 months and trained hard. His best 5k was 23:38. At 8 yrs old. He was winning his age group each time. Then he stopped. He's 10 now and I'm fat again. When I was running with him that was my happiest time in adult life. He's decided to do it again and go all in. I prob need to drop 30 lbs if I can push him and we can go into the 22:00 range for 5k. Any advice for people that's turned their life around and found their tom brady fountain of youth? Is it possible at my age to run like I did 18 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 01:00 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,149,375 times
I wouldn’t get discouraged...some people are in their prime for running in their 30s. I think sticking with it is key. Sounds like you enjoy a social aspect so maybe look into local running groups or meet ups?

Old 09-08-2018, 06:07 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,788,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdman88 View Post
I'm pushing 35. 5 10 male weigh 200 lbs even. In high school I had a gift. I could tear up a 5k. Not sure my time but it was good. Life happened and I got fat. 2 years ago my 8 yr old got into running. We ran for 6 months and trained hard. His best 5k was 23:38. At 8 yrs old. He was winning his age group each time. Then he stopped. He's 10 now and I'm fat again. When I was running with him that was my happiest time in adult life. He's decided to do it again and go all in. I prob need to drop 30 lbs if I can push him and we can go into the 22:00 range for 5k. Any advice for people that's turned their life around and found their tom brady fountain of youth? Is it possible at my age to run like I did 18 years ago?
35 is not old and you can certainly get into shape again. Diet is very important if you want your body to perform so no junk food. Eat real foods and workout. If you don't eat healthy then don't bother.
Do not try and compare yourself to a younger you. If you are committed it will happen. Baby steps at first, you can push yourself once you are comfortable with running again. And do more than running. Work your whole body with the focus on running.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,625,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
35 is not old and you can certainly get into shape again. Diet is very important if you want your body to perform so no junk food. Eat real foods and workout. If you don't eat healthy then don't bother.
Do not try and compare yourself to a younger you. If you are committed it will happen. Baby steps at first, you can push yourself once you are comfortable with running again. And do more than running. Work your whole body with the focus on running.
Absolutely. You can even be better than you were when you were younger. I have a friend whose father has been breaking distance records in his age bracket for swimming... in his 70s and 80s! He did not even take up swimming until he was in his 60s, and that was because he had emphysema and his doctor told him he needed to start exercising because he was in poor health. Now his fitness level is exceptional for someone of any age, much more so for someone who is in his 80s! If he had just given up and figured why bother because he was too old, he’d probably be dead right now.

My grandfather had something similar when he was in his 60s and was more modest... just taking up walking 5 miles a day, but he walked 5 miles a day religiously until his early 80s when he developed cancer and then downgraded to 2 miles a day after treatment.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:45 AM

Last 2 days: 2 miles 16:38. And today 2, 1 miles 7:37 and the next 7:57. Feel good for a fat boy. I need to lose 31 lbs and be able to be my 10 yr olds son coach. He drives me. Oh, and no drinking alcohol. I'm sure that's extremely detrimental to success

Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 AM

10,324 posts, read 10,581,616 times
Quote:
I started running in 1995 at age 40. I've run around 200 races since then. I started lifting at the same time and added weight to get over 200 lbs. so I could enter the Clydesdale category. I hit 21:0x a few times but could never break 21:00. I tried all kinds of training programs, used a HR monitor, and experimented with easy/hard days. I think intervals/repeats are critical. I followed one running coach who recommended intervals between 2:00 and 6:00 minutes. That meant I ran a lot of 800M and 1200M intervals. Also try incorporating hills, tempo runs, and long runs.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:08 PM

1,279 posts, read 846,320 times
You're doing fine and you can definitely be as good as you were in high school- and actually even better.

villageidiot1 is correct: intervals are key to getting in great shape quickly. Running at top speed for short periods is painful but it really helps.

I'm 45 and recently ran the fastest mile I ever had, and I've been running since high school (with a break in college).

Old 09-09-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
You're doing fine and you can definitely be as good as you were in high school- and actually even better.

villageidiot1 is correct: intervals are key to getting in great shape quickly. Running at top speed for short periods is painful but it really helps.

I'm 45 and recently ran the fastest mile I ever had, and I've been running since high school (with a break in college).

Congrats on the fastest mile. This gives me hope. What's your diet like? Any beer at all or fried foods?

Old 09-09-2018, 03:24 PM

1,279 posts, read 846,320 times
I try to eat low fat things (to avoid being groggy at work), but I eat plenty of junk food. I just have a BIG cup of coffee and a good breakfast and then hit the treadmill in the mornings.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:14 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,562,262 times
Quote:

I'm running better and faster than I did more than 60 years ago, in high school and I could outrun everyone in the school at middle/long distances then. I wear only the best and lightest-weight, high-performance shoes (Avia now and Brooks for many years in the past). Shoes like that, unless you need extra cushioning, will give your comeback a boost. Don't try to do it all right away. Give yourself a year of preliminary training and lose all your extra weight, before you try to push yourself hard. Make getting your diet in order, as the main goal for the time being. One tip about food, eliminate all simple sugars, except those in fresh fruit and cut out all grain products. It's great that you and your son can do this together. But I wouldn't become so dependent on each other as training partners, that if one slacks off, so does the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness