Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 AM

294 posts, read 1,107,488 times

Advertisements

Ive only been working out for three months now, mostly my objective was to improve my ass. Ive been doomed with a flat butt and I hate it. I have been doing back squats and lunges in order to improve this area but I have seen no improvement, really the only thing that has happened is that my quads got huge. Im really discouraged as I'm beginning to think that no matter what I do my butt will always remain the same. I cant do dl at my gym as someone told me I should do those. I don't know what to do and I really just want to give up, cant change my genes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
There are other butt exercises you can do besides lunges. Also, there are a lot of variations on lunges that you can incorporate different types. Squats do not do a lot for your butt.
Please keep in mind 3 months is not very long at all to see any real gains. Keep at it.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:11 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Check out youtube videos for butt exercises. I inherited a flat butt but now it's rounded, not perfect but pretty good. I've been using ankle weights for a long time. I get on all fours, bend my leg and lift it up behind me for 3 x 12 reps. Then do the fire hydrant one 3 x 12 reps. Also do a leg lift lying on side that targets the outer hip and thigh.

Glutes are very hard to build so you need to be patient.

I do lunges and squats as well, but the ones with the ankle weights seem to be the most effective.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Check out youtube videos for butt exercises. I inherited a flat butt but now it's rounded, not perfect but pretty good. I've been using ankle weights for a long time. I get on all fours, bend my leg and lift it up behind me for 3 x 12 reps. Then do the fire hydrant one 3 x 12 reps. Also do a leg lift lying on side that targets the outer hip and thigh.

Glutes are very hard to build so you need to be patient.

I do lunges and squats as well, but the ones with the ankle weights seem to be the most effective.
Absolutely right on--these are great. I've also found 20 minutes on the treadmill on an incline of 4 or more is very helpful...

Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Absolutely right on--these are great. I've also found 20 minutes on the treadmill on an incline of 4 or more is very helpful...
When I do the treadmill I do it on the hill setting as well, up to 12%. Climbing stairs is excellent for butt as well.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,212 times
Quote:
I have been doing back squats and lunges in order to improve this area but I have seen no improvement,
As Luckyd609 mentioned, squats are of little value for the gluteal muscles.
Lunges on the other hands, are the best. How are you performing them?
Keep in mind that gluteals are big, strong muscles. They do not respond well to light weight. How about continuing the lunges, with these modifications
1. Perform very deep lunges. Gluteals are like a rubber band that needs to be stretched a lot to be affected.
2. Use the heaviest weight you can handle for no more than 8 to 10 reps.
3. Keep at it for at least 6 months. In combination with proper diet you should see at least some improvement.
4. Keep your expectations realistic. Different muscles on different people are more or less trainable, due to genetics, and there are hard-wired limits to how much can change.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:32 AM

Check out these exercises. I do some, but not all of these, but will add some of them to my routines.

Great Leg & Butt Exercises - Workout Wednesday with ModernMom - YouTube

Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the tips. I do not do the treadmill, I hate, hate, HATE running. For cardio I use the bike and I walk a minimum of 3 miles a day.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I do not do the treadmill, I hate, hate, HATE running. For cardio I use the bike and I walk a minimum of 3 miles a day.
I don't run on the treadmill, I increase the incline to make it a hill and I walk. Walking up hills works the glutes.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:50 PM

Ah, I see...but would it make a difference if Im already walking everywhere anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness